Disable MDS? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Disable MDS?

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Disable MDS?

Is there a way to completely disable the MDS on the 5.7? My MDS is absolute garbage. Kicks in when it shouldn't, lose power going up a hill because my fancy computer decides to shut down 4 cylinders. When the MDS kicks on under "normal" circumstances, there is a horrible noise as it engages - sounds like a metallic fluttering noise. Shop had it and said it was something hung up in the transfer case motor. Not sure what that has to do with MDS, but they fixed supposed part under warranty and it still does it. I'll be driving down the street and the MDS kicks in and everyone looks at me because it sounds like something is breaking. No longer under warranty so I'm not spending any money on fixing it after 3 shops in 18 months (while under warranty) couldn't. I just want to turn it off completely. Is there a way?

jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Yooshaw
2007 WK 

Only way I know of is with a tuner - I know the Superchips can disable it.
Yooshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Marcus86GLHS

on my 2008 Hemi WK I can completely disable the MDS by putting the gear selector in "5" rather than "D"......I get all 5 gears just like normal but the MDS is disabled.

but i am not sure if all Hemi WK years have that feature in the software.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
on my 2008 Hemi WK I can completely disable the MDS by putting the gear selector in "5" rather than "D"......I get all 5 gears just like normal but the MDS is disabled.

all years don't....I think the 07 and up do and the 06 and older don't.

If you have the spare change lying around you could just purchase a superships and not only turn the MDS off but do some other tweaks. This is what I did even tho I an throw mine in 5th and not worry with MDS(it got old doing this).
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

In my 2006, I can auto-stick into 4th (not 5th, no 5th in mine), but as far as I can tell, MDS is still enabled. The only work around I've found is auto-sticking into 4th and having Tow/Haul on, but that causes some other issues.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett View Post
In my 2006, I can auto-stick into 4th (not 5th, no 5th in mine), but as far as I can tell, MDS is still enabled. The only work around I've found is auto-sticking into 4th and having Tow/Haul on, but that causes some other issues.
Yea I think 07 was the first year you had the option to drop into 5th. My suggestion is to get a tuner(I know my superchips gives the option) that will allow you to disable mds instead of riding around in tow haul mode. I tried that for a while and just seemed like it would kill my gas mileage(well what little I have) or eventually would mess something up as im not hauling anything.
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
BlackPrintz
2005 WK 

Contact Nick at Kolak Performance for a price on the Superchips Tuner. It's well worth it.
Black WK #139
05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, 2" R.C. lift, 32s, K&N, MagnaFlow, 4xGuard Skids, Custom Rock Rails
BlackPrintz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Jared26
2005 WK 

I got a used Superchips flashpaq for mine about a week and a half ago and installed the 91 tune leaving MDS enabled and was pretty impressed with the tune but still annoyed by the MDS. Last friday I decided to hook the tuner up to my computer and see if there were any updates for it and there were so I updated it and then re loaded the 91 tune and this time turned off the MDS and wow what a difference having it off made. The Jeep runs a ton smoother, no jumping in and out of MDS and it got rid of the drone from my exhaust while cruising as well. It's been less than a week but so far I haven't noticed any mileage penalty and would definitely recommend a tuner to anyone that is annoyed by the MDS system.
Unread 12-31-2014, 02:09 AM   #9
Marcus86GLHS

my experience with my '08 is that the MDS does deliver about a 2 mpg improvement out on the highway. I know this because I have run several long trips with MDS enabled and the exact same trip with it disabled and I always see about a 2 mpg increase in MPG with the MDS operating. My '08 only has about 25,000 miles on it and so far the MDS is silky smooth and quiet kicking in and out, it is difficult to even detect the operation of the MDS, I have to look at the EVIC display to even confirm the cycling.

all that aside, if it was annoying I would do anything to cancel it.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Unread 12-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
my experience with my '08 is that the MDS does deliver about a 2 mpg improvement out on the highway. I know this because I have run several long trips with MDS enabled and the exact same trip with it disabled and I always see about a 2 mpg increase in MPG with the MDS operating. My '08 only has about 25,000 miles on it and so far the MDS is silky smooth and quiet kicking in and out, it is difficult to even detect the operation of the MDS, I have to look at the EVIC display to even confirm the cycling.

all that aside, if it was annoying I would do anything to cancel it.
My 2010 has around 87K miles, and MDS works great. The ONLY issues I've had with it is at that threshold on the freeway where it's not sure if it wants to be on or not all the time. Sometimes you get a wind buffet to the nose of the vehicle and it needs to drop out of it, but then the gust of wind is over, and it goes back into it, and this plays hell with the tq converter locking/unlocking and you get a jolt. IT rarely happens, though. Personally, i like the MDS and would do everything I could to make sure it was up and working.
Unread 12-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
bustacrab
2005 WK 

Do all WKs with the HEMI have MDS? I'm not well experienced with the MDS but I am very experienced with V8 engines. I cannot tell if my 05 has MDS or not. I've heard other vehicles with it and there is a distinct change in how the engine sounds. Mine does not do that. There is no way that it has been disabled with a tuner as I bought it completely stock with 50k miles. I'm averaging around 12 MPG with 32" tires and a 2" lift. What do you guys think?
bustacrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2015, 02:37 AM   #12
Marcus86GLHS

i believe all Hemi WK's have the MDS. In model year 2008 they added a "Fuel Saver" message on the EVIC that comes on when the MDS kicks in, but I am not sure how you can confirm MDS cycling on the EVIC prior to model year 2008.

Unread 01-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #13
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Just push the tow button and it disables MDS.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
caulk04
2008 WK 

Quote:

You don't get 5th gear with the selector in 5th. On 08-10 models they have the display configured rather strangely. I covered this a while ago. 1 is 1, 2 is 2. However, 3 is actually 2p, 4 is 3 and 5 is 4.

Take my word for it or do the math on the gear ratios but it is what it is.

If you don't drive highway, you'll never miss 5th gear anyway as the stock programming will not engage 5th until at least 63mph at VERY light throttle. Most driving won't see 5th until 70+.

Using tow-haul to eliminate MDS is rather silly. It changes the shift schedule quite a bit and you'll be holding lower gears for no reason and burning fuel that you needn't.

Also, if anyone thinks they're getting funny looks because of the MDS kicking in, you're crazy. Anyone who knows about cars knows what the MDS is and if they don't know what it is, they don't care.
Unread 01-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Marcus86GLHS

^? not on my 2008 Hemi......i put the selector in "5" rather than "D" and I get all 5 gears, with no MDS.

Where did you get the idea that "5" only gets you "4" in a 2008 Hemi WK?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.