Dipping headlight issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dipping headlight issue

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Dipping headlight issue

If I have my headlights on bright and then flick them to dip them due to an approaching car, on a number of occasions this action has switched off the headlights.
I am not sure if I am doing something that causes this to happen as I have tried to make it do the same thing but no luck. Any one else have this happen?

Surfer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
LouC
2007 WK 

This used to happen on my old 98 ZJ, switch from high (main) to low (dip) beam and the lights went out. I replaced the dimmer switch and that fixed it.
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
This used to happen on my old 98 ZJ, switch from high (main) to low (dip) beam and the lights went out. I replaced the dimmer switch and that fixed it.
I find that just by flickering the switch from high bean to low, it is physically moved to the "off" position. It just seems so easy to do accidentally?
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
LouC
2007 WK 

The version you have may be different that the US version; in ours you turn on the lights by turning the very end of the switch; high/low is selected by moving the lever in and out. On the 98 ZJ there was a seperate on/off switch on the dashboard.
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
The version you have may be different that the US version; in ours you turn on the lights by turning the very end of the switch; high/low is selected by moving the lever in and out. On the 98 ZJ there was a seperate on/off switch on the dashboard.
Same here except when you flick it in a hurry, you accidentally switch off the headlights by the action of your hand "rolling" on the light switch. I am assuming it is because the the "turn" bit is very easy to move and the simple action of flicking the hand on the switch causes it to turn off the lights. I guess you cannot "tighten" it up to prevent this happening.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.