Differential mount bushing replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Differential mount bushing replacement

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
LelandGray
2005 WK 

Differential mount bushing replacement

I've seen some posts where it costs roughly $700 to have these replaced.. is it possible for a DIY'er to do?

My '05 WK has hard shifts and clunks when going from Park to Drive, and then I've noticed that when cruising on the highway, if I let off the gas it'll make a clunking noise. I'm attributing this clunking noise to worn out differential mount bushings, which I read is a common problem.

LelandGray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
kingvm
2005 WK 

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago. The part costs about $30. I did it by myself and it took about 6 hours but would go quicker with another set of hands.
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I think the bushing on the top of my front diff is going as well.

Kingvm - Can you do some sort of right up for all of us that want to accomplish this our self?

Is this from having a lift or has this failed on stockers too? LelandGrey do you have a lift or any mods?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I think that mine is dead on the XK also, and mine is bone stock. I would love to see some photos of the job in progress also. I would like to give this a shot next summer when I am doing the front differential solenoid also. Rotating the diff sounds a bit difficult, but I could be wrong.
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
kingvm
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
I think the bushing on the top of my front diff is going as well.

Kingvm - Can you do some sort of right up for all of us that want to accomplish this our self?

Is this from having a lift or has this failed on stockers too? LelandGrey do you have a lift or any mods?
I don't have any pics, but will try to do a small writeup tonight when I get home. (I think there is a writeup on one of the forums, but I did not look that closely at it before tackling mine.)

The FSM shows to completely remove the differential and do it on the bench but that requires you to remove a lot more than the way I did it.
Unread 10-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
jbwest17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Same problem here on my wifes stock 05. A writeup would be awesome. Do you have the part number by chance?
jbwest17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
kingvm
2005 WK 

Here is a quick writeup as I remember the steps, good luck...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/d...iteup-1112031/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.