Differential mount bushing replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Differential mount bushing replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
LelandGray
2005 WK 

Differential mount bushing replacement

I've seen some posts where it costs roughly $700 to have these replaced.. is it possible for a DIY'er to do?

My '05 WK has hard shifts and clunks when going from Park to Drive, and then I've noticed that when cruising on the highway, if I let off the gas it'll make a clunking noise. I'm attributing this clunking noise to worn out differential mount bushings, which I read is a common problem.

LelandGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
kingvm
2005 WK 

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago. The part costs about $30. I did it by myself and it took about 6 hours but would go quicker with another set of hands.
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I think the bushing on the top of my front diff is going as well.

Kingvm - Can you do some sort of right up for all of us that want to accomplish this our self?

Is this from having a lift or has this failed on stockers too? LelandGrey do you have a lift or any mods?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I think that mine is dead on the XK also, and mine is bone stock. I would love to see some photos of the job in progress also. I would like to give this a shot next summer when I am doing the front differential solenoid also. Rotating the diff sounds a bit difficult, but I could be wrong.
Unread 10-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
kingvm
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
I think the bushing on the top of my front diff is going as well.

Kingvm - Can you do some sort of right up for all of us that want to accomplish this our self?

Is this from having a lift or has this failed on stockers too? LelandGrey do you have a lift or any mods?
I don't have any pics, but will try to do a small writeup tonight when I get home. (I think there is a writeup on one of the forums, but I did not look that closely at it before tackling mine.)

The FSM shows to completely remove the differential and do it on the bench but that requires you to remove a lot more than the way I did it.
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
jbwest17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Same problem here on my wifes stock 05. A writeup would be awesome. Do you have the part number by chance?
jbwest17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
kingvm
2005 WK 

Here is a quick writeup as I remember the steps, good luck...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/d...iteup-1112031/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.