Differential fluid change - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Differential fluid change

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #16
JerseyGeorge

Spin it any way you want! 46000 miles and going strong.....NO chatter when turning....FLAWLESS operation in the deep snow we had last year.......PERFECT on the beach and dunes in NC!! Guess my Jeep is one of the "most" class

JerseyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
2005 WK 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but QT1 and QT2 have open differentials front and rear, and therefore, should not require a limited slip friction modifier.
5318008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5318008 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but QT1 and QT2 have open differentials front and rear, and therefore, should not require a limited slip friction modifier.
Sounds right to me. I have QD and QD-II on the WJ and XK, and that requires the modifier.

I cannot tell what JerseyGeorge has got. If he is QT1 or QT2, then that would explain why he has no issue without the modifier.
Unread 10-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #19
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
Sounds right to me. I have QD and QD-II on the WJ and XK, and that requires the modifier.

I cannot tell what JerseyGeorge has got. If he is QT1 or QT2, then that would explain why he has no issue without the modifier.
I have the QD II and yes it requires the additive modifier unless the gear oil your replacing it with has the friction modifiers in it. Since I use Mobil 1 75/140 gear lube and it has the friction modifier I don't add any and it has worked flawlessly!! NO chatter.....super performance in the snow and sand/dunes in NC!

I'm not telling people friction modifier isn't needed but I'm pointing out Mobil One, Amsoil and Royal Purple to name a few come with the friction modifiers in them already so NO additional FM is needed!
Unread 10-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #20
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge View Post
NO chatter.....super performance in the snow and sand/dunes in NC!

This is not the same for everyone. Others have complained about issues without the modifier when using Mobil 1 LS. I add the modifier, and I have no issues when adding it. I have never tried without, and I do not plan to try without.

If I were you, I would try to do some figure eights and see if you get any binding or hopping. On sand or snow going straight, you may get even slip on all wheels and not see the issue. Doing figure eights on flat ground, you may see more.
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #21
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post

This is not the same for everyone. Others have complained about issues without the modifier when using Mobil 1 LS. I add the modifier, and I have no issues when adding it. I have never tried without, and I do not plan to try without.

If I were you, I would try to do some figure eights and see if you get any binding or hopping. On sand or snow going straight, you may get even slip on all wheels and not see the issue. Doing figure eights on flat ground, you may see more.
I guess I have a "special" Jeep

I don't do figure eights on the street or off-road so why would I do that? I assure you when driving in the snow and the beach I made a couple turns......some even sharp turns. NJ is full of sharp turns, off-ramps, u-turns, besides This isn't my first rodeo!
Unread 10-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #22
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Personally, I would rather not play with fire over $10 on a bottle of friction modifier. Worst case if I am wrong, I am "throwing $10 away" every 15K miles. I can live with that. Different strokes for different folks.
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #23
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I add the modifier even with M1. I've gotten chatter from the rear while doing tight figure 8's. It's $7 from the dealer here. Buy one bottle just in case, allow for a few ounces to be added, and add it as needed.

There's a common brand that is always in advance or auto zone around here. Don't be tempted if you run across it. It says in fine print that it's not for the GC LS's

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #24
acort
2005 WK 

Make sure you buy some break cleaner to spray out the diff when the covers off! It makes a huge difference!
acort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
tazer15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

?

im getting ready to change mine why would wiping the oil off the diff covers with brake cleaner make a huge diff ?????that little bit of old fluid on them cant add up to an ounce.if their that sensitive i think this thing will be sold as quick as i bought it
tazer15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazer15 View Post
im getting ready to change mine why would wiping the oil off the diff covers with brake cleaner make a huge diff ?????that little bit of old fluid on them cant add up to an ounce.if their that sensitive i think this thing will be sold as quick as i bought it
If you're going to change it you may as well do it right. Getting the cover off and draining the fluid then reinstalling all the above is the hard part. Spraying a can of brake cleaner is cheap and EASY!
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #27
gornoman
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acort View Post
Make sure you buy some break cleaner to spray out the diff when the covers off! It makes a huge difference!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazer15 View Post
acort was saying to spray down the gear set, not just the diff cover.
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #28
Jscheier
2007 WK 

Spraying down the gear set with brake parts cleaner will help you during the inspection you are doing while changing the fluid (you are inspecting, right?). Gets everything clean and shiny so you can look for abnormal wear on the ring, chips, etc.

2007 Jeep GC QD2 CRD is for sale!!!!
Jscheier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #29
djfxall
2005 WK 

are there limited slip tags on the diff if the fluid is needed?
djfxall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
maxst2
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acort View Post
That's usually not a good idea. Brake cleaner usually leaves a residue. If you have water in your diff, then you should...but if not you really shouldn't.

Honestly, if you have QT2 do yourself a favor and go to riddler and pick up a new rear diff cover. Stock cover is a piece of foil compared to it. lol Not a bad price either.

Tags
differential , fluid , maintenance , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.