Differential fluid change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Differential fluid change

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 09-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
grandcher0kee06
2006 WK 

Differential fluid change

How do i know when to change my differential fluids? i have 54k miles, and when i bought it, it had 46k miles and the dealership said they couldnt tell the condition of the fluids without taking the differential apart, and by then they would just go ahead and change them. so my question is should i go get my fluids changed? i go offroad couple times every week or so. if this makes any difference.

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #9[/COLOR]
grandcher0kee06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would absolutely do it. You dont know if it has been changed before, and at 54k its likely far overdue. Much cheaper and easier to do yourself, however...I think I did mine for under 50 dollars including the lube, sealant, gasket scraper, etc.
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
grandcher0kee06
2006 WK 

okay, thats what i was thinking. but where do i go to get all of the items needed (and what are those items) to do it myself, and directions on how to do it

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #9[/COLOR]
grandcher0kee06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

You'd be amazed how dirty it gets in there.

You can get the diff fluid (75W-140 synthetic) at any parts store. The friction modifier, one bottle per diff, can be had at the dealer. It's not expensive. The transfer case fluid is best bought there as well.

You can suck the old fluid out of the rear diff instead of removing the cover if you so choose. The front diff has a drain.
I would do the transfer case as well while you're under there.

This link is for the SRT-8, but the process is the same.

It's a dirty swap. I have yet found a way to not make this a mess, but it's pretty simple.
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcher0kee06 View Post
okay, thats what i was thinking. but where do i go to get all of the items needed (and what are those items) to do it myself, and directions on how to do it
75-140W Mobil one gear lube I recomend that you go to. jeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm For capacities and recommendations! M1 gear oil dosen't need friction modifier for the limited slip!
JerseyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

every 30k..... thats what most jeeps have in the manual.
ZONE 4" Lift With 32" Duratracs
Hella Lighting - Rola Rack - KOR 3/4 Spacers
IRO Sliders - Rusty's Hooks - Cobra CB

MY BUILD THREAD
BAD TO THE BONE ZONE

November 2010 GCOTM
myjeeplovesmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Feffman
2005 WK 

Just had the dealer do both differentials, transfer case and transmission. Not inexpensive but a lot less costly then replacing parts or new Grand Cherokee.

Feff
Feffman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
myjeeplovesmud
2004 WJ 

transfer case and diffs are super easy tranny i leave to the mechanic mostly because of the mess
myjeeplovesmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
sabre364
2007 WK 

what do you guys use as a gasket scraper? just a plain old flat blade wallpaper scraper thing?

and when popping off the rear cover you just take off most of the bolts and crack it open with the same scraper and let it drain?
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #10
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre364 View Post
what do you guys use as a gasket scraper? just a plain old flat blade wallpaper scraper thing?

and when popping off the rear cover you just take off most of the bolts and crack it open with the same scraper and let it drain?
Putty knife works great. Loosen all the bolts and pry bottom of cover away from diff so it drains.....then remove cover.
Unread 10-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge View Post
75-140W Mobil one gear lube I recomend that you go to. jeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm For capacities and recommendations! M1 gear oil dosen't need friction modifier for the limited slip!
I believe that is not true. I use the modifier with Mobil 1 75W140LS. I would read some of the other posts on this topic. I just did the WJ diffs a week ago. I did the XK last summer.

Mobil 1 is good stuff, but there is a difference between LS oil and friction modifier for oil as specified by Mopar.
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
I believe that is not true. I use the modifier with Mobil 1 75W140LS. I would read some of the other posts on this topic. I just did the WJ diffs a week ago. I did the XK last summer.

Mobil 1 is good stuff, but .
Read the specs on the M1! Besides I've been using it for the last 25K with NO problems and NO additives!

"there is a difference between LS oil and friction modifier for oil as specified by Mopar"

Please explain the difference! FM is for use in LS applications.....LS isn't a lube, it's an additive that M1 contains and is sufficient for MOST applications!

From Mobil's site:
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140 LS contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

There are other threads on here on this topic. Do a little searching, and you will see what I am talking about.

The vehicle will work without the modifier, but it will not perform as designed. There are ways to test if the diffs are working properly.
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #14
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
LS isn't a lube, it's an additive that M1 contains and is sufficient for MOST applications!
I know that LS is not a lube. However, 75W140LS is a gear oil that has been modified. The question is whether it has been modified properly per Mopar specs. Unless Mopar says that Mobil 1 75W140LS is all that you need, I would be careful on your assumptions.
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required.
Yeah, it's the "most" that's the important part here. That doesn't mean "all," and Chrysler has always recommended Jeep specialty differentials use the additive regardless of what lube you use. In the case of some differentials, it was very, very obvious the Mobil LS wasn't sufficient.

Tags
differential , fluid , maintenance , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.