Differential fluid change 06 Commander - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Differential fluid change 06 Commander

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 05-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
bsork
2006 XK Commander 

Differential fluid change 06 Commander

HI all
I am new to this forum and I am looking to perform 15k maintenace on my 06 commander. Does the differential fluid need to be changed? What oil should I use and do you need to remove the covers or can you just siphone it out? I have not done any off roading in this vehicle to date. The dealer wanted $264.00. Seems alot.Is there a DIY site for this?
Thanks
BS

bsork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Shirai_Ryu

Quote:
Does the differential fluid need to be changed?
Differential Fluids are recommended to be changed at 15,000 miles.

15,000 Maintenance 2006 XK 3.7L:
Quote:
Change the engine oil and engine oil filter, if not replaced at 3 months.
Inspect the engine air cleaner filter, replace if necessary.
Drain and refill the front and rear axles.
Inspect the exhaust system.
Inspect brake hoses.
Check the engine coolant/anti-freeze level, hoses, and clamps.
After completion of off-road operation, the underside of the vehicle should be thoroughly inspected. Examine threaded fasteners for looseness.
Quote:
What oil should I use and do you need to remove the covers or can you just siphone it out?
MOST (not all) 2006 XKs will take 75W140 Synthetic gear lube.
The Front differential has drain & fill plugs, the cover is extreamly diffacult to remove. The Rear differential only has a fill plug, normally the cover is removed for servicing, but according to your warranty manual "Drain & Refill" is acceptable, although I would recommend pulling the cover to get out as much debris as possible.

Quote:
The dealer wanted $264.00. Seems alot.
Wow, thats cheap, Its $405 for the differential services here, ya just checked - $190 just for the fluid & RTV (parts) only.
Shirai_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.