Diff Fluid Color? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diff Fluid Color?

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
chevra
2008 WK 

Diff Fluid Color?

What color is the front diff fluid on a 08 WK CRD?

Okay this is my story, the last while I have been noticing oily patches on my driveway, it looks to be coming from the engine bay passenger side. I assumed it was engine oil at first but because my driveway is black its hard to tell. I swiped a patch with my finger today and it was almost clear, isnt that to clean for it to be engine oil? So I was looking at the breather hose for the front diff and the hose is very oily all the way down it, and also the frame rail is all oily on that side. So could this be my diff spitting it out for some reason? I have a terrible nose so I cant tell the smell to well. I also checked my oil level and it was at max about 3 weeks ago and now it is down to maybe 3/4 or a bit more. So I am lost to what it could be.

Unread 04-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
boxcab

2007 WK 

I'd blot it with a clean white paper towel. If it's golden, or reasonably close, it would seem to be gear oil. If your nose was working, it'd stink from the sulfur in it.

If it's jet black, and stains your fingers so that you have to scrub to get the color off, it's engine oil.

BTW, I've had some Amsoil gear lube that was blue.

2007 WK CRD
boxcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
GregK340
2007 WK 

I have the same problem, every time temp. drops below 25* or so. front diff starts pushing gear lube out the vent. Problem didn't start til I went to Mobil 1 gear lube. Or could be caused by front diff being over filled. Had lube changed or added to front diff. lately?
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
chevra
2008 WK 

Well it definately doesnt stain my fingers, it just rubs off. I will have to try the white paper towel thing. The diffs were services 12000 kilometers ago according to the dealership. I am trying to figure out when it happens, seems to me it happens the most when i drive a long distance and then park it, which makes me think that it is overheating the diff. But at night the temps have been fairly low like -18 celsius and then it gets to 0 celsius in the day. I have warranty so I think I will just let them take a look and say that I am pretty sure it is coming from the front diff. I had my dad come over and take a sniff and he says it smells like burning so ya ha.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Mine has done the same thing since new. Never could figure it out. Changed to royal purple and don't remember it doing it this winter. It would leave a small quarter sized puddle sometimes. Only in the cold though.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
Mine has done the same thing since new. Never could figure it out. Changed to royal purple and don't remember it doing it this winter. It would leave a small quarter sized puddle sometimes. Only in the cold though.
Mine is more like a hand size puddle, it must not do it everynight tho, I guess that is why i came to the conclusion that it only does it after like half hour highway trips.
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
GregK340
2007 WK 

According to a jeep TSB, the cause is a cold diff. (sitting overnight in cold temp) start up, and in a short time going to hi-way speeds. Apparently the thicker oil (at low temps) doesn't drain out of the vent hose, and gets pushed out. There is a TSB and an accumulator (looks like a inline gas filter) available to solve this.
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
boxcab

2007 WK 

That's interesting. I changed my diff fluids to Amsoil 75W-140 at about 1500 miles and never had any troubles. However, I haven't subjected the Jeep to the conditions noted. Amazing how outlying conditions can create a peculiar result.

2007 WK CRD
boxcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you running stock diff covers? What numbers are you running for diff oil? If you know...
Unread 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Im having the same problem.

Here is my thread on it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...smell-1502184/

Im going to check my diff fluid today
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Im having the same problem.

Here is my thread on it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...smell-1502184/

Im going to check my diff fluid today
Let me know if your diff was low on fluid or not when you check this. I am happy that it isnt engine oil atleast ha. The jeep if all stock and im guessing has all the recommended mopar fluids in it, i havent had it for long but i got it from a chrylser mechanic. It is going in to get looked at on monday since I have warranty they can deal with it for now. Maybe the best thing would be for them to just change to a different fluid.
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Run your index finger through the spot on the driveway, then hold that finger under your wife's nose. If she recoils in horror and smacks your hand away, it's diff fluid.
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
Run your index finger through the spot on the driveway, then hold that finger under your wife's nose. If she recoils in horror and smacks your hand away, it's diff fluid.
ha ya we have come to the conclusion that it is diff fluid, now to try and get it to stop doing it. My driveway would appreciate it ha.
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
Well I had it at the dealer and they said that my breather hose was plugged and had come off, so they cleaned it up and put it back on. They checked the diff level also. Not sure if this will fix anything but hopefully. Anyways I think I am going to switch to Royal Purple fluid this summer, its the 75W-140 that I need right? And about how much will I need to buy? Thanks!
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevra View Post
Well I had it at the dealer and they said that my breather hose was plugged and had come off, so they cleaned it up and put it back on. They checked the diff level also. Not sure if this will fix anything but hopefully. Anyways I think I am going to switch to Royal Purple fluid this summer, its the 75W-140 that I need right? And about how much will I need to buy? Thanks!
Here is a great website that will answer that for ya.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.