Diesel WK: Water in Intake - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel WK: Water in Intake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #31
merlinTec

Do they build Jeeps in europe? www.jeep.co.uk.

Unread 08-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #32
janeandpault

High Tuco
I am fitting a valve which will open if the engine starts sucking hard which it will if the air intake is covered by water. The valve I am fitting is the one fitted to old Porsche 911s with K jetronic to stop blowing the air box apart. It is available from most Porche shops and is called a pop off valve.I have reduced the spring pressure and fitted a filter at the top rear of the air intake box.
Paul
janeandpault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #33
ukliberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

so, just looked at the figures for wading on both liberty and GC. The spec I saw said they both had the same wading capability!
But from the sounds of the thread here thats not the case.

How low is this intake?

I reguarly take my Liberty to the top of the bumper in a stream/ford.........from what you guys are saying is if I tried this in my wifes GC I would end up looking mighty stupid and a huge bill in the process!
ukliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #34
merlinTec

bumper hight should be ok, it's above that when you get into trouble.
Unread 08-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #35
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Wow.. now I'm scared ! I kinda figured that my 05' wouldn't wade as deep as my 98. Just looking at the air box is enough to know but I kind of hoped that maybe it wasnt as bad as I thought. Anyone know how much dfferent the air box on the diesel is from the 5.7 hemi... is there any difference ??

Really sorry to hear about your bent rods Tuco.. very happy to hear that the insurance will cover it !!
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #36
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeandpault
High Tuco
I am fitting a valve which will open if the engine starts sucking hard which it will if the air intake is covered by water. The valve I am fitting is the one fitted to old Porsche 911s with K jetronic to stop blowing the air box apart. It is available from most Porche shops and is called a pop off valve.I have reduced the spring pressure and fitted a filter at the top rear of the air intake box.
Paul
I want to hear more about this valve Paul. I have an '07 WK and am concerned about increasing wading ability without roughing in a weird looking snorkel.
Kevin
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 03:21 AM   #37
merlinTec

Hi Paul
I am interested in this as well, Porsche is just down the road from me and is own by the same company. Do you have any pictures? Not convinced it will work. Was this not to release pressure and not to release vacuum? How are you going to test it?
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #38
Tuco
2007 WK 

This story is getting stranger by the day. Its a long story and we will spare you the lengthy details.

First dealership has diagnosed bent rods and water damage. Comprehensive insurance is going to cover repairs. Dealership finds out that there are no parts available for this vehicle. No engine, no long block, no pistons, no anything. So we contact a bigger dealership closer to home to see if they can do anything. Their service manager spent hours researching and contacting Chrysler. Same result. No parts available and no estimate of when they will be available. In addition, the service techs say that rebuilding the engine is a bad idea. The proper fix is to have the factory supply a new engine. Factory says no way, they wont part with an engine off the assembly line.

Talked to a lawyer, and they said that the insurance company should do the research to find out the same info that I did and come to the conclusion that the vehicle should be totalled. They will have to buy us a new one or give us the cash. Taking a cash settlement is quite tempting at this point. We love that Diesel WK, but if this is how the Jeep corp is going to treat us, no thanks. Granted it was a stupid thing to do, Chrysler must understand that even new cars get dammaged. Could be fire, could be water, could be a crash that cracks the block etc.

Last edited by Tuco; 08-15-2007 at 01:20 PM..
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #39
Swayse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh boy, that is really weird. I might have to buy extended warranty, just in case.

Really starting to like the motor, it pulls my 16' trailer with my Polaris Ranger on it, like it's not even there. Same load on a rental Dodge truck with the 3.7 motor, that thing down shifted to 2nd gear on the hills. Jeep never even thought about down shifting.
Unread 08-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
Tuco
2007 WK 

Yeah, this engine is awesome (when it doesnt have bent rods). Before we killed the Jeep we were cruising up some steep highway grades with cruise set at 65. It never had to downshift. It was such a nice ride until we murdered it! Weve been rebuilding and restoring vehicles and suvs for more than 25 years. This incident is the lamest thing ever done to one of our vehicles.

Insurance adjuster is calling us tonight to discuss what they plan to do. As far as we are concerned they will do one of three things: (1) get us a factory new engine installed (2) replace the vehicle with another of the same type, color, options (3) write a check for the cash value.

Since Chrysler refuses to provide an engine we feel that they are left with option 2 or 3. Im sure the insurance company will not want to part with 40K, but according to our state laws, they must do so within 45 days of the accident. They have 24 days left.
Unread 08-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #41
ukliberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

That seems crazy - the engine itself cant be that different (if at all)from EU spec as far as block head etc go and they churn our CRD's left right and centre over here.
Hope this is not a sounder for how the new chrysler customer service is going to be!

Its a pity MerlinTec is on holiday this week, he might have been able to check euro engine availability - would give an idea if chrysler are just being lame ducks or if it really true.
ukliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #42
merlinTec

Hi
Just checking in, I find this very poor. I agree not to try and rebuild the engine. I have posted the latest part number and when I check for the UK price they showed one in stock in the UK. Can’t see there being any difference in the US to the UK engines. Can’t be too long to even have one shipped to the US. What will happen to it if they right it off? Can you buy it back? Ask the Jeep parts for the price of the part number I posted. Could be a cheap Jeep for someone if they don’t mind waiting a month for an engine. Has anyone checked with Merc? Get the engine code and phone Merc up, they could have an engine available and cheaper.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #43
Tuco
2007 WK 

Thanks for the extra info Merlintec. Where did you post these part numbers? I would definitely like to send these to the dealership.

The dealership that has the vehicle is really working hard to help us. They are just as surprised that Chrysler cant come up with a price for the engine. They are going to look at engine costs for the sprinter van, a 5.9L diesel and hopefully a mercedes 300cdi. They will use these as a reference for writing an estimate. So it looks like we will be able to get a check from the insurance company and eventually get an engine installed that is from the factory.

Looking forward to getting our CRD back!
Unread 08-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #44
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
Thanks for the extra info Merlintec. Where did you post these part numbers? I would definitely like to send these to the dealership.

The dealership that has the vehicle is really working hard to help us. They are just as surprised that Chrysler cant come up with a price for the engine. They are going to look at engine costs for the sprinter van, a 5.9L diesel and hopefully a mercedes 300cdi. They will use these as a reference for writing an estimate. So it looks like we will be able to get a check from the insurance company and eventually get an engine installed that is from the factory.

Looking forward to getting our CRD back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
lol I see I am not being believed so i looked it up part number I fitted 53014013AI £12,214.17 + 17.5% tax
Now superseded to 68024122AA £11,500 + 17.5% tax phone you local dealer with the numbers if you like. We stock this engine in the UK and sold 12 of the new number in the last 12 months and the number is not that new so more like 4 months.
Regards,
Merlin
Hope this helps you.
Unread 08-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #45
Tuco
2007 WK 

Thanks Merlin, I guess I didnt see that post earlier. We got great news today. The dealership was finally able to get a price for the engine and was assured they can get it delivered from Michigan. Price: $23,500

This is pretty darn close to the price that Merlin posted. We will pay our $250 deductible and hope the insurance rates dont go up too much.

We feel like idiots for killing the Jeep, but are so glad that our insurance company and the Jeep dealership are taking care of us. We will save the water fording and other more difficult off roading for the Scouts. At least until we get a few years and a lift kit on this rig.

We'll let you all know how this turns out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.