Diesel WK: Water in Intake - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel WK: Water in Intake

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 07-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #16
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Humph ! Had not thought of that. I'm suprised that an insurance company would pay for that. Do you just say it was parked somewhere that got flooded or just that you didnt think that the water was that deep??

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
flyrx
2007 WK 

Wow Tuco, I've been watching this with bated breath. Any luck yet? If you claimed it on insurance (provided the engine is damaged) and it wasn't totaled, would it still get marked as flood damage on the title?

Best of luck...
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #18
boxcab

2007 WK 

Geez, Tuco, yous gonna drown the baby in the bathwater?!

Seriously, that's a scare and no doubt. Looking at mine, I've noticed a ring around the air intake nozzle into the air box that has screening on it. Some sort of siphon breaker? Of course, it won't work if you submerge it in wa-wa. It may be that you smothered the engine by momentarily swamping the air filter. The small amount of agua in the cylinders coupled with the ease of cranking suggests the engine just stalled, rather than died. If it soldiers on, woo-hoo! If not, well, whaddya expect from hydrolock?

Anyway, the trolls an JeepsUnlimited think we should've waited for Cummins (that's Cummings, to the trolls, who use Mobile 1 oil) to make the almighty engine to deliver us from evil, rather than rely on for the spotty reputation of a minor German farm implement builder.

Hoping for the best!
boxcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #19
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcab
Geez, Tuco, yous gonna drown the baby in the bathwater?!

Seriously, that's a scare and no doubt. Looking at mine, I've noticed a ring around the air intake nozzle into the air box that has screening on it. Some sort of siphon breaker? Of course, it won't work if you submerge it in wa-wa. It may be that you smothered the engine by momentarily swamping the air filter. The small amount of agua in the cylinders coupled with the ease of cranking suggests the engine just stalled, rather than died. If it soldiers on, woo-hoo! If not, well, whaddya expect from hydrolock?

Anyway, the trolls an JeepsUnlimited think we should've waited for Cummins (that's Cummings, to the trolls, who use Mobile 1 oil) to make the almighty engine to deliver us from evil, rather than rely on for the spotty reputation of a minor German farm implement builder.

Hoping for the best!
Some one care to translate that form me?

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

iam lost as much as you, couldnot put pickup one complete sentence
bull_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #21
merlinTec

Don't think he is a fan of the germans
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:17 PM   #22
2001svt

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
Don't think he is a fan of the germans

You have it backwards. He's being sarcastic. Apparently some people want the mighty cummins in a jeep instead of something from MB. I'm happy either way to be honest. Although, I don't think I'd want to abuse a Grand with the weight of a 5.9...small v6 maybe?????
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #23
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001svt
You have it backwards. He's being sarcastic. Apparently some people want the mighty cummins in a jeep instead of something from MB. I'm happy either way to be honest. Although, I don't think I'd want to abuse a Grand with the weight of a 5.9...small v6 maybe?????
Either way, he still didn't pass English class. Theres no way any current Cummins would fit into a Grand and still be street worthy. They are working on a V6 for the next model RAM 1500s. We mite possible see the same engine in our Jeeps.

In either case, both engines are great. Benz has been making diesels for 75 years or so and make some of the most powerful truck engines. Cummins also makes some powerful truck engines and have proven them selves many times over.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #24
janeandpault

just had the same problem on a new 5.7hemi going through water about 16ins deep. A depth my old Cherokee and Land Rovers would have done easily. I believe the attempt to have clean cool air into the engine of the latest grand has compramised the wading ability. I am fitting a valve that will open if water enters the air cleaner at the top rear to make sure the engine keeps sucking air! I bent a con rod and the insurance is paying for a new engine.
Good luck!
janeandpault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #25
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Kinda worries me because.. if they have lowered the air intakes capabilities.. what else have they lowered ?? My 98 zj took water over the Jeep logo on the hood and didnt ever flinch. I was driving very slowly about a mile an hour, water was about mid door, and some Jackhass in a 70's F-150 with 44's came rolling thru at about 10 miles an hour going the other way... The wave came at least 1/4 way up the hood. I was amazed but it didnt flinch.
That was the 4.0.. I worry about this one.. air box seems a good bit lower. I will certianly be very careful.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #26
Tuco
2007 WK 

bent rods...

Comprehensive Insurance will cover the cost of factory new engine and labor to install Fortunatley the insurance company cant use our stupidity/ignorance against us.

Could take some time as the dealership is having trouble finding a new engine and is not really sure how much the labor will be. The latest is that they will get the engine right off the factory assembly line. I have a feeling the price tag on a 0 miles 3.0 CRD factory new engine will be more than a few hundred dollars.

Our diesel scouts could walk through that little stream with ease. This is one of the many reasons we drove into the stream. We saw other stock jeeps going thru too. Apparantly they decided to lower the air intake on the new Jeeps.

It would be nice to know what janeandpault did to fix their air intake so it cant take on water.

Unless the core cost is high, we will likely bring the original engine back to our shop and eventually tear into it and rebuild the lower end. Got to figure the core price on a new engine will be pretty high though.
Unread 08-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
merlinTec

Hi
Thanks for the update.
Think the one I did was about 13.000 just for the engine and 12 hours labour.
Unread 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #28
Tuco
2007 WK 

That is way more than we expected. 26K U.S. for an engine? Is that possible? Hope the insurance adjuster doesnt have a heart attack when they see that bill.
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #29
gornoman
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
26K U.S. for an engine? Is that possible?
I doubt it, I think you can get a V8 crate motor (500bhp) for that kinda money. Probably a supply issue. Do they even build Jeeps in europe? I have no idea.
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #30
merlinTec

lol I see I am not being believed so i looked it up part number I fitted 53014013AI £12,214.17 + 17.5% tax
Now superseded to 68024122AA £11,500 + 17.5% tax phone you local dealer with the numbers if you like. We stock this engine in the UK and sold 12 of the new number in the last 12 months and the number is not that new so more like 4 months.
Regards,
Merlin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.