Diesel WK: Water in Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel WK: Water in Intake

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Tuco
2007 WK 

Diesel WK: Water in Intake

We just got water in our intake. Its a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.0 CRD (same as 3.0 CDI Mercedes). The engine is not seized. We towed back to a friends and want to get the water out before trying to start. We are away from home on a short vacation and need to get our beloved Jeep on the road again.

My thinking is I should remove the glow plugs and turn the engine over to remove moisture that might be there. Then reinstall and start. As far as we can tell there is no water in the lower end or in the fuel system. I am having trouble locating the glow plugs. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There is no mercedes dealership within hundreds of miles. There is a Jeep dealership, but we are in CA (and small) and we do not want to get the vehicle marked as "flooded" anyway.

We got thru the water we were traversing, but at the last few feet the front end went down enough to splash water into intake. It suck a quart of water into the box and got the filter wet, but we dont think a lot of water got into the engine. It conked out, I let it sit for a minute, then started up again. It sounded awful so we shut it down. I suppose its possible we really screwed up the engine. But I think its just running bad due to all the moisture.

Thanks so much if you have some info that could help. Are there some other forums that we can check out? We are on a slow connection.

If anyone is willing to help us do some research, we would gladly return the favor.

Lets hope this ends happily.

Last edited by Tuco; 08-08-2007 at 04:33 PM..
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Remover the engine cover (2 x 10mm bolts) you will see the injector rails (1 on each side) with the pipes going to the injectors. The glow plugs are next to the rail with 1 wire to each. I would also make sure no water is in the intercooler. I don’t hold much hope in no damage done but wish you luck.
Regards,
Merlin
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
goose1

How did it happen and how did you know you got water in the intake?

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
merlinTec

P.S don’t turn the ignition on unless ALL the glow plugs are connected or it will over load the ones that are and you will damage them and put the warning light on.
Unread 07-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
Swayse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry man, this sucks. Let us know how this turns out. If it was me, I'd turn the motor over by hand, and if you could turn it a few rounds, I'd crank it up and see what's up. Just make sure intercooler and everything else is empty, so you don't get more water in there.

If you got enough water in there to kill the engine, I'm afraid it may have hydro locked and bent a rod or 2.
Unread 07-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Tuco
2007 WK 

Thanks for help guys. I see the intercooler, but Im not sure how to check or drain it. What fluid is in it?

Yeah, it really sucks. I know warranty wont cover it, but maybe our insurance will?

It was never really run fast or hard through the water, but Im pretty sure it got moisture into it, just not sure how much. Just hoping that the knocking was just the diesel not igniting well, but could be bent rods as someone else posted. Damn, I ran accross this same spot in our other Trucks for years, but for some reason it was unusally deep this time.

I think we will see if we can get the glow plugs out, unplug them and then turn it over to see if there is any moisture in there. If we cant figure out what to do, there is a known good shop in this town. We can borrow a car to get home and have ithe Jeep towed to this shop to see what they can diagnose.

It did set some engine lights (no surprise) is there a way I can recover codes to see if there is a sensor or something that got dammaged?
Unread 07-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
Hopefully nothing in it, it just cools the air but it most likely full of water. To drain it it’s best to take it out but you can take the bottom hose of it. The clip on the intercooler is harder to get to but the clip on the hose to the intake manifold is nice and easy to take off then just bend the hose down as low as you can and let the water run out. I would then run it and let the turbo blow the rest out. just a quick blast should do before you reconnect it to the engine.
As for getting fault codes don’t think you can on the diesel but if it runs ok after a few good starts should put the light out and any faults will just be stored codes.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 07-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
Tuco
2007 WK 

We got all six glow plugs out. That was easy. We went ahead and turned it over and there was water in the rear two cylinders, a little more in one. A little too much if you ask me! Anyway, we are tempted to now put it all back together and start it. Someone mentioned something about an intercooler. Could you elaborate, I am not sure how I would drain it. Are you saying that it is a holding spot for water, Like a low spot? We turned it over a bunch of times until we could just see diesel mist. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Sure hope it didnt bend a rod or two. I guess if it did, we will just suck it up and deal with it.
Unread 07-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

switch your key on, off ....on, off...... on and it should display the code for you.
bull_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Wow Tuco.. this is seriously one of my worst nightmares. There should be a water sensor in the air box that would shut the engine off it it gets wet.. I dont know.. something to give a little protection. If theres water in it after running it, you should check your radiator (not the resevoir) water level. I would think that after running the engine for even 10 seconds, you would have passed all the water thru. If you still have water coming out.. well.. not sounding too good to me. Sounds like you might have coolant water coming into those two cylinders. Check the water level and if its not low, forget this angle. When you do get it started, check your resevoir for bubbles. If you have bubbles, you may have more serious problems. Man.. I feel your pain!! Good Luck.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't forget to change your oil immediately. With water in the cylinders, I'd bet that at least some of the water made it past the rings and into the oil pan. I wouldn't even think about trusting the standard test of seeing if the oil on the stick looks milky...just change it.

And good luck...really hope that you didn't bend any rods. That CRD engine CAN'T be cheap to do a total rebuild on, or to buy a new one.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Tuco
2007 WK 

We found the intercooler. Looks pretty easy to remove, so we will check for water in there. Once we drain that, we will crank it over a few more times with glow plugs out. Then put back together and cross fingers. Will change oil too.

Good news for fellow dieselers...the glow plugs, injectors and intercooler are easy to access. We did not pull the injectors though, but are easy to get to.

Lets hope for the best.
Unread 07-29-2007, 04:45 AM   #13
merlinTec

Hi
Wish you all the best have done 2 of these now with the same fault as you and both needed new engines + starter + turbo. But these had locked up and wouldn’t turn. Please come back and update us.
Unread 07-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #14
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Hey Merlin, Just as a question.. was there any warranty coverage on those two that you did that ingested water ?
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #15
merlinTec

Hi
No had to claim on there insurance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.