Diesel WK: Tranny Upshift Trick - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel WK: Tranny Upshift Trick

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
boxcab

2007 WK 

Diesel WK: Tranny Upshift Trick

Maybe this is in the manual, but I'm headed for the sack so I'm not looking it up.

It seems to me that at certain speeds, 25 mph and 35 mph, common around town, the CRD is in a lower gear than is needed. Engine speed is about 1600 rpm. But I discovered today that pushing the shifter to the right at these speeds up-shifts the transmission to the higher gear, dropping engine speed to around 1200 rpm. Still plenty of response, just more growl. My ScanGauge II shows a slight improvement in economy, too.

Food for thought...

2007 WK CRD
boxcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
flyrx
2007 WK 

I can confirm that, I've been experimenting with that recently myself. During most driving, the auto does a good job, and I only used the autostick to downshift for engine braking. I recently discovered that in the above mentioned speed range (or even as low as 10-15 mph), using the upshift function also seems effective at lowering the RPM.
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.