Diesel WK: STARTECH Engine Tuning Kit for CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel WK: STARTECH Engine Tuning Kit for CRD

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

Diesel WK: STARTECH Engine Tuning Kit for CRD

In the fuel economy thread, someone brought up a Startech SD6 kit for our diesel. Below is the quote from the following website:

http://www.startech.de/homee.htm
(click under Programs, and then Grand Cherokee WH (is the H the European model?)

"Equipped with the new STARTECH SD6 tuning kit the V6 diesel produces a maximum power output of 262 hp / 193 kW compared to 218 hp / 160 kW for the non-tuned version. At the same time peak torque grows from 510 Nm to 580 Nm between 1,600 and 2,800 rpm. The STARTECH SD6 performance kit consists of an auxiliary computer control unit that can be installed in less than 30 minutes by any authorized Chrysler dealer, thanks to the included wire harness and installation instructions. With STARTECH SD6 tuning performance of the SUV improves noticeably: The sprint to 100 km/h (62 mph) is shortened from 9.2 seconds for the production car to 8.5 seconds for the STARTECH-tuned version. Top speed increases to 210 km/h (130 mph). "

From their email and the metric numbers above, this is obviously a European product. Does anyone know if we can get this from our dealers here in the US? I would love this upgrade if it was dealer supported and won't affect warranty. Obviously, fuel economy would likely suffer a bit, but if you weren't pushing it during everyday driving, maybe this wouldn't hurt too much. It surely would be nice to have even more power, torque, and acceleration when needed. Thoughts?

'07 GC CRD Limited - OEM 08 HID's - OEM 08 Chrome 18" Wheels - 265/60-18 Bridgestone Revo 2s - Valentine 1 - Weathertech Cargo Liner & Mats - UConnect - PIAA 1000 Driving Lights - Garmin 750 - Cargo Area LEDs - Mopar Remote Start - HID fogs
bobholthaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
It was myself that posted that link and I work at a dealership in the UK Star Tech is very popular in the UK dealerships we get extra points for selling and fitting Star Tech. I have not fitted this power upgrade as yet but will be next month on our demo 300c so will post fitting instructions and report back then.
As to fuel economy all the other dealers and customer I have spoken to that have this upgrade have said it improves economy not makes it worse (I know that doesn’t make sense more power but better on fuel) will post back next month with what I find.
As for warranty as this is a jeep approved upgrade no warranty problems and I believe are warranty is longer then yours as well as ours is 3 year and 60.000 mile so must be well tested to not do any damage to guarantee this upgrade to 60.000 miles.
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
flyrx
2007 WK 

Is this kit compatible with the particulate filter on US spec Jeeps?
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
merlinTec

Would your particulate filter be any different to ours?
Unread 07-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
flyrx
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
Would your particulate filter be any different to ours?
I don't know. Perhaps someone on here has that information...
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

merlintec- we need US specs and the name of a distributor if you can get that info please. Thank you for the heads up.
'07 GC CRD Limited - OEM 08 HID's - OEM 08 Chrome 18" Wheels - 265/60-18 Bridgestone Revo 2s - Valentine 1 - Weathertech Cargo Liner & Mats - UConnect - PIAA 1000 Driving Lights - Garmin 750 - Cargo Area LEDs - Mopar Remote Start - HID fogs
Unread 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
merlinTec

USA / Canada

STARTECH Export Sales
Mr. Christoph Dietze
Brabus Allee

DE 46240 Bottrop

Telefon : +49 2041 777 517
Telefax : +49 2041 777 111
E-mail : christoph.dietze@brabus.com
Unread 07-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

I just emailed the guy. I will post his response when I get one. Thanks merlinTec!
Unread 07-23-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
array

i saw another advertisement inf OFF ROAD magazine in germany. also chrysler approbed tunning, but the performance was increased to 265 hp and 650 - 690 Nm. the cost for this was 849 EUR.
i ll find it and post you a www for more info
www.cardomain.com/id/array
array is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 02:32 AM   #10
merlinTec

Hi All
Got a Jeep part number if it will help any of you to get it SWH0110031
Unread 07-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
As to fuel economy all the other dealers and customer I have spoken to that have this upgrade have said it improves economy not makes it worse (I know that doesn’t make sense more power but better on fuel) will post back next month with what I find.
Actually it makes perfect sense; with a diesel, the more you drive at partial throttle, the better the fuel economy you'll see. If you have more power available, it means the with day to day driving you won't be pushing the engine quite as hard thus you should see some improvement in mpg.

I think being an early adopter of this chip here I would want to install an EGT gauge and keep an eye on the temperatures. I still haven't found out whether the exhaust system for the CRD is the same as for the gassers (aside from the DPF of course) but with traditional Chrysler cost-cutting chanses are it is the same. In that case it may be a bit restrictive and you may have some trouble keeping your EGTs down.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
Swayse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen some cheap boxes on ebay, but all they do is raise fuel rail pressure, not the way I wanna go.

If this one is warranty approved, I want one. Then I'll go tear me up some Hemis.
Unread 07-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

I just emailed that part number to my buddy at the dealership. More when he replies. And I agree with all of the comments above.
Unread 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
merlinTec

Got a 300c coming in tomorrow that has one on it, so i will post some pics.
Unread 07-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
Tuco
2007 WK 

It would be great if you could also post exactly what this gizmo does to gain such increases in HP, torque and fuel economy. Does it give these increases for all RPM's? How does your company measure these increases?

Sorry to sound so skeptical, but there are some bogus claims being made by other manufactures of these kinds of "upgrades". For gas engines, some chips simply advance the timing. I can do that in 5 minutes without a chip. Some products do nothing. Ive heard of some chips that really do increase HP and torque say on some bigger diesels, but there are sacrifices (usually fuel economy and longevity).

Im not saying that your product is bad. Its just that we need to be very careful about what products we put on such an engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.