Diesel WK owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel WK owners

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
rcs8104

Diesel WK owners

I am thinking about ordering a Grand Cherokee with the diesel option. I was wandering what your impressions of the diesel is. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting and if there has been any major problems with the diesel. Also, how is the mygig nav radio in these Jeeps. Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. One more question, is it worth getting the overland model over the limited.

rcs8104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs8104 View Post
I am thinking about ordering a Grand Cherokee with the diesel option. I was wandering what your impressions of the diesel is. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting and if there has been any major problems with the diesel. Also, how is the mygig nav radio in these Jeeps. Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. One more question, is it worth getting the overland model over the limited.
Here's a post I did a while back. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/diesel-wk-first-13-000-miles-486758/
2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
2008OverlandCRD
2008 WK 

The diesel is a great option especially since it is only a $1,010 option on the Overland (There is a significant difference in the rebates though). I average between city and highway about 21 MPG. Getting about 24, maybe 25 on the highway. I haven't had a single problem with mine, granted I only have 1100 miles on it, but it's been out for years in Europe and in other MB vehicles for quite some time.

The diesel drives much different than the Hemi. With a little touch of the go pedal the Hemi was off to the races. With the diesel it takes a little more push of the go pedal and there is only the slightest bit of turbo lag, but once the turbo kicks in, the diesel takes off and feels unstoppable.

I towed a 7200 lb boat with the Hemi, but have since sold the boat so I haven't tried towing anything with the diesel yet so no reports on towing ability yet.

The MyGig is a great radio, much better than the older REC nav system. Easier to use, has a HD and touch screen. One dislike I have is it doesn't have a 6 disc changer like the old one did. You can save all your songs on the HD, but I would like to have a 6 disc changer in there too.

I went from a 2006 Overland 4x4 Hemi to a 2008 Overland 4x4 CRD and for me personally I would only get the Overland because it comes standard with almost every option (except rear DVD and TV) so you don't have to worry about missing an option. Also the interior is nicer with the wood steering wheel and seat trim. Only downside is you can't get a dark color interior other than the brown (which I think is almost the ugliest thing I have ever seen - just my opinion so those that like it don't beat me up too bad) and you can't get the mineral gray exterior.

I enjoy mine very much. I liked the 2006 and I love the 2008. The 2008 looks and feels much classier and nicer. I planned on getting a full-size Range Rover Supercharged, but after looking at the features, quality, and price the Overland trimmed Grand Cherokee couldn't be beat.

Some have complained about the Overland and maybe even the Limited having too much chrome, but personally I think it looks nice and is not too much.

Although they did delete the power folding mirrors and laminated front side windows on the 2008. Just Jeep getting a little cheaper, but I can live without those.
2008OverlandCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
jmelgin
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ditto on the above comments. Have been a hemi guy for quite awhile but absolutely love the diesel. Have approx 7000 miles on '08 Overland and get 18-19 mpg city / 22-23 mpg highway.
jmelgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I've given rides to my my co-workers who didn't even notice it was a diesel until they walked around the back and and saw the CRD emblem. During my test drives, I didn't notice much of a difference between the Hemi and diesel although I never went over 50 MPH. In another month or two, I'll let you know how it pulls my 5,000 lb. travel trailer.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
----

Coming from turbo gas and a 5.9 ZJ I can tell you for certain that this vehicle is my new benchmark of conservative sport, economy, utility and luxury.

An all-round great vehicle to drive!
---- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
iere

I have a 2007 limited and love it. Plenty of power and not much turbo lag as far I am concerned but my last vehicle was a turbo diesel as well so I guess I am used to it.

I have 3k miles on it and no problems.

My mixed mileage was 20mpg when I got it and has slowly crept up to 23mpg. This includes everything from winding backroads to highway speeds at 75mph or so. I live in a very hilly area and am headed to ohio soon and will see how she does on the flats for mileage.

Part of my mileage increase was me learning to drive it and the transmission learning to behave a bit better. When I got it I used the autostick to pick gears a whole lot. Now the transmission holds gears better and downshifts better, part of this is me modulating the throttle better but I give the tranny some credit.

I still use the autostick a fair bit, mostly for slowing down when I can see something up ahead that needs a bit of slowing down instead of just coasting along.

If I really play around on empty roads I can make the mileage computer pass 25mpg by a fair bit but it is hard to keep it there for a half tank or 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I like keeping the fuel tank full.

For how long I can go on one tank of fuel I am sold on this engine. Plenty of power and tows my trailer and quad with zero issues, hardly know it is there.
Unread 02-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
jjandersonn
2008 WK 

We really like our 2008 Overland CRD; we highly recommend it!! We, like most WK owners, use ours as a daily driver family vehicle (we haven't done any towing yet and minimal offroading).

The unbeatable mileage for this type of vehicle without sacrificing torque (pulling/merging power) is what got us looking at the WK CRD. The better than expected fit'n'finnish helped seal the deal. I bet we're going to be seeing more and more diesels on the road in future years as fuel costs continue to rise! Diesel motors are inherently more efficient by design. As many people have mentioned, with these high tech MB diesel motors, people won't even know you're burning diesel until the see the badge. It truly doesn't even compare to the diesels North Americans have become used to...and that's a good thing!!

All this said, if your highest priority is 0-60 time, nobody can deny that the Hemi is quicker off the line.

To answer your question about the Overland being worth it... We thought so, but if you don't care about extra chrome "bling" and don't need a radio that talks to you or a video camera for backing up, etc., you could save a few bucks and still get a pretty darn nice vehicle!
1997 Grand Cherokee - Laredo (SOLD)
Calgary, AB, Canada
jjandersonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.