Diesel WK: The first 13,000 miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel WK: The first 13,000 miles

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Diesel WK: The first 13,000 miles

Hi all, thought you might like to hear my impressions after putting 13,000 miles on my '07 CRD Grand Cherokee Limited. It's been a real love-hate relationship! We'll start with the bad: In the morning, the second day I had the car, it would not start. About 5 cycles of glowing/cranking over about a 5 minute period, it would not fire at all. Finally on the 6th try, it started right up and the starting problem never repeated. I have had it stall 3 times to date, and 3 dealer visits yielded "No problem found" (If anybody else has had the stalling problems, please let me know.) Twice was as I was getting ready to pull out into traffic after a cold start, and once was after a 20 minute drive, sitting in the parking lot cooling down the turbo. Thank God the stalling hasn't happened while I was on the highway in traffic going 70MPH or something!

Other things that have gone wrong - poor satellite radio reception even after the "reflash". Auto up windows bounce down on both sides. Transmission flairs under certain circumstances when cold (TSB on this I think). TPMS error messages "Service Tire Press System" ("no problem found")

I am really disappointed with the dealer service. 2 dealers love to say "no problem found" to everything I bring up. The treatment at a Jeep dealer is nothing like what I am used to at Mercedes/Audi dealers, even on older cars. One of the two I went to was a bit nicer to me, but still could not fix anything.

The good (I know it pales in comparison, but..) I love the ride and drive of the CRD Grand. It is very comfortable on a long trip and handles very well. Fuel mileage for me is consistently 23-24 MPG in 90% highway driving. The EVIC reports this average as 20.9, so it is quite a bit lower than actual. The kick in the pants when the turbo spools up is great. The ESP works well and is well balanced (took a turn a too bit fast on a gravel road, and it politely nudged me back in line). Also experienced the ESP light at 70 MPH when I hit some pretty deep standing water on the highway. Couldn't even feel a thing in the steering wheel. The interior has always been quiet and rattle free over bumps. Also, I think the engine will hold up like the legendary mercedes engines of the past, if it is treated properly.

That being said, the problems and lack of service keep me from recommending it to others. I practically had to fight the dealership to get them to put the correct oil in my Jeep, much less *attempt* to fix anything.

Forgive me if there is another thread on this same topic, but I would love to hear other long term inpressions.

2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Sheesh! I seem to have a knack for making posts that nobody ever replies to
Unread 11-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
flyrx
2007 WK 

I hate to see that you've had such problems. The auto up on my driver's side window bounces down occasionally, but I believe there is a TSB for it, so the dealer should be able to fix it. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I've experienced no drivetrain problems. I too had to fight with the dealer to put the proper oil in it (covered elsewhere in the forum). The US dealers really do seem clueless about the CRD WK, heck I remember asking a question to the Jeep engineers on this forum that they had no clue about.

I hope you get those problems ironed out!
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
crush33

OK I'll bite. I just passed 10000 miles on mine and the drivetrain has been flawless. I've had the chance to drive many modern Euro diesels and this application of the 3.0L ranks right up there. I'm seeing about the same fuel economy as you (high 23's mpg for mostly hwy driving, mid 21's for mostly city). I had one run over 150 miles @ steady 60-70mph where I got 27 (keeping the foot out of it is the key but that's hard...). EVIC does consistently undercalculate mpg and there's no pattern to it so I basically ignore.

I have the same problem w/ the driver side window bounce, the dealer told me there is a TSB for that and it takes a few hours to complete. I'm waiting for warmer weather again to deal with it. I just had the ABS reflash recall done (no issues) and I'm waiting on new calipers on order to complete that recall.

My Jeep dealer has been great so far but I still have concerns they don't fully know this powertrain. I made sure to call ahead before my first oil change to make sure they had the right oil and filter (they didn't, it paid off to prod them). Still debating in my head how I'll handle this in the future (kills me to have a dealer do oil changes...) I'm either going to have it done at Mercedes dealers or buy the oil/filter from them and do myself.

I don't blame the dealers so much as Chrysler doing a poor job of educating them about the product. Maybe because the launch happened during the divorce? This application was very much handled by the Daimler side of DCX, and this shows with the service mindset of Mercedes where its expected that the customer always returns to the dealer for basic service. I'll use the fuel filter for example....there is no easily accessible way for the customer to drain water if you get a WIF warning. The owners manual tells you to drain water if you get this indication, when you leaf thru the book looking for a procedure...you can't find one. Also, look for any kind of explanation of the DPF other than the hang tag you had in the glove box when you took delivery. The Jeep and Dodge powertrain and service engineers I've talked with are generally clueless about these issues.

It'll probably be up to us owners communicating on this forum as we rack up the miles to improve the education....
crush33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Tuco
2007 WK 

If you like to work on vehicles, I recommend you change the oil and filter yourself. This is not a difficult process and there is lots of information on this website regarding oil change, where to get oil and filters. If you have a jack and stands, you can lift the Jeep a bit so you can remove the front skid plate. Then draining the oil should be easy. I removed this plastic skid plate to do some other repair and it took about 5 minutes. Ive also been working on making a special funnel so that I can drain the oil without removing the skid plate. However, since we will only have to change the oil once a year, it may not be worth it to make the funnel. Also, the removal of water from the filter has been covered at this site. We got a limited but pretty good service manual. It doesnt have very much CRD info, but it does cover basic maintenance such as the fuel filter service.

We are at 2500 miles. Vehicle is excellent. Same mpg's as posted above and elsewhere. Abouot 20-22 city, 23-24 highway. I think the EPA rating of 20-24 is fairly accurate. We also ignore the EVIC as it has never been accurate. Hopefully with some bigger tires we can improve the highway mileage a bit without hurting the city mpg too much. This vehicle will see mostly highway miles. We have the window bounce back problem and plan to get it fixed when we get the brake recall dealt with.
Unread 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
There is also a TSB for the tire pressures warning. So I think that covers all your issues.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 11-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

So, pretty much, if you had a better dealer, a lot of your problems would be better? Good to hear.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Thanks for the replies. I think the idea of us educating each other as the miles rack up is a great idea. I put about 1500 miles a week on mine, just about ready to hit 15000 miles. I found another dealer that seems like they actually care about the customers, so when I'm not so busy driving, I will give them a try. I will look again for the TSB on the TPMS problems. That happened again yesterday -- on alternating back tires that came and went.

Oh, I had a chance to play a bit in ice and snow, it does even better than I thought it would do, especially with stopping. Those stock tires must be pretty good.
Unread 11-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
merlinTec

Hi
The TSB is a hard one to find as it doesn’t say TPMS so I will post a link for you. http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0800807.pdf
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Thanks Merlin, I bet that will solve it. I will take that to the new dealer next time I go there.
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Fantastic thread - seriously, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I hope to have one of my own (waiting for an insurance settlement - see my thread in Jeep Carnage).

Who is running B20 in their CRD? anyone? I'm new to diesels - what about synthetic motor oil? I ran Mobil 1 in my old ZJ 4.0 from the day I got it (65K -> 117K miles) and it was worth every penny....
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
tcmglx

Great info. I just purchased a 07 WK CRD limited here in California with the magical 7500 miles on it.

What are the oil change procedures, and what is this you are all talking about "removing water".....

Thanks for the info in advance!
tcmglx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 05:51 AM   #13
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

There is an oil change post, should be on the first or second page of this forum. Also, I think the "removing water" is done automatically by the fuel filter unit as I understand it. (It's a $100 filter so it better do some cool stuff haha!)
Unread 12-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
crush33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007GrandDiesel
There is an oil change post, should be on the first or second page of this forum. Also, I think the "removing water" is done automatically by the fuel filter unit as I understand it. (It's a $100 filter so it better do some cool stuff haha!)
Lots of good info already on this site re: oil changes. Key thing to remember is the special oil required (synthetic 5W-30 CJ-4 M-B unique).

Diesel fuel has a tendency to hold water both in raw form and emulsified in the fuel. Diesel fuel filters must not only filter out particles down to 2 microns for common rail systems, but must also separate this water from the fuel before it passes to the high pressure pump. There are several processes employed, sometimes concurrently, by modern filters to accomplish water removal. These filters are typically sized to hold this water (usually in the bottom of the can) for the life of the filter between changes. However, this system must also have a manual drain to allow the operator to drain this water under unusual circumstances (indicated by a WIF warning on the WK's EVIC). This manual drain procedure is not operator friendly on the 3.0L however (just try to find it in your owners manual!).

So the best advice here is to always use quality fuel and change the filter as specified.
crush33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

just figured I'd post up, my 08 CRD stalled today while traveling 45mph on an open road. entire dash went black, radio stayed on.

see this thread...
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthrea...86#post4670486

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.