Diesel news - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel news

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Diesel news

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist...iesel-cars.htm

Article is about all the new diesels coming to the market in 2009.

on the Grand Cherokee they say
"Expected in 2009 is a Cummins V6 turbo-diesel, whose factory is still being built;"
I think they are misinformed or are going on old news.

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
steveno
2009 WK 

Well as I just swapped an 08 Diesel (long story) for an 09 that has the same Mercedes Benz 3.0 CRD engine, the Cummins plant is obviously not ready yet. I did read on another forum that the last model year 2010 of the current Jeep Grand Cherokee is claimed to have a 50 state diesel which is probably when they will have the Cummins engine package.

Steve.
steveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveno View Post
Well as I just swapped an 08 Diesel (long story) for an 09 that has the same Mercedes Benz 3.0 CRD engine, the Cummins plant is obviously not ready yet. I did read on another forum that the last model year 2010 of the current Jeep Grand Cherokee is claimed to have a 50 state diesel which is probably when they will have the Cummins engine package.

Steve.
If it is a diesel, it should be VIN as a 2008 model. The current 3.0 CRD WK does not meet the 2009 phased-in emissions requirements. Chrysler is building the CRD through the end of this year. What happens after that is unknown. In 2010 the emissions requirements will be fully phased-in so it makes more financial sense to take that time and try to meet the fully phased-in emissions and bring a 50-state legal vehicle to market. In it's current form, the WK CRD is still only a 45-state vehicle.

Hopefully those plans include a diesel minivan!

CRD TURBO SEAL OIL LEAK FIX
WK CRD - EGR CLEANING WRITE-UP
MY FUEL ECONOMY DATABASE
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Tuco
2007 WK 

A diesel mini van already exists. Its called the Sprinter. It uses the same 3.0 mercedes CRD. These engines are very nice, but also very expensive for parts. I like the sound of a Cummins, 50 state diesel for the future. Hopefully the cost of parts and technical support will be better than the CRD. It would also be nice if they consider decreasing the engine size a bit and change gears a little for those who really want improved mpg. Dont get me wrong, we love our CRD Jeep. It hauls a** and gets decent mpg considering what it does. But nearly every part on this engine costs a bundle. Hopefully this CRD is as durable as many Europeans indicate it is.
Unread 10-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
A diesel mini van already exists. Its called the Sprinter. It uses the same 3.0 mercedes CRD. These engines are very nice, but also very expensive for parts. I like the sound of a Cummins, 50 state diesel for the future. Hopefully the cost of parts and technical support will be better than the CRD. It would also be nice if they consider decreasing the engine size a bit and change gears a little for those who really want improved mpg. Dont get me wrong, we love our CRD Jeep. It hauls a** and gets decent mpg considering what it does. But nearly every part on this engine costs a bundle. Hopefully this CRD is as durable as many Europeans indicate it is.
I wouldn't call that a minivan....I was thinking more along the lines of a Town and country

I am with you on the mpg though....imagine if they took a T&C or Grand Caravan and put a 2.0L diesel or something similar in it that produces around 130-140hp and 220-240 ft lb of torque. That would be exactly what I want for sure.

CRD TURBO SEAL OIL LEAK FIX
WK CRD - EGR CLEANING WRITE-UP
MY FUEL ECONOMY DATABASE
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.