Diesel Fuel Vendors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Diesel Fuel Vendors

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 02-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
----

Diesel Fuel Vendors

I tried searching for an answer to this question, but came up empty...

I spoke with a tech regarding the quality of the fuel dispensed at various gas stations. His concern was expressed over different stations using varying grades of diesel. For now, as a rule of thumb, I'm only fueling at "Sheetz" due to the high volume of fuel they dispense as a means of shying away from aged diesel.

My questions specifically: Are some pumps selling better (cleaner) diesel than others? Where should a first-time diesel owner (me) shop for good fuel, and what are some indicators?

Thanks!

---- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

All diesel fuel is required to be ultra-low sulfur so you shouldn't need to worry about that if you buy fuel that isn't expressly for off-road (no taxes) use.

D-C says it should meet ASTM specification D-975. Normally this will be listed as #2 diesel unless you live somwhere where the temperatures are routinely well below zero.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Actually there are some stations still selling Low Sulfur Diesel (500ppm). There is a BP station right down the road from where I live in Greenville, SC that has a decal on the pump that indicates Low Sulfur Diesel.

ONLY use Ultra Low Sulfy Diesel (15ppm) in the GC Diesel.
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
crush33

Three Oh, I think you said the key thing when selecting fuel sources - buy from a place with high sales volume. This is key to avoiding fuel with water, algae and other contaminants.

All pump fuel sold in the US is supposed to meet ASTM D975, either #1 (winter) or #2 grades. And the transition to ULSD is not fully phased in, so make sure the pump has the sticker for 15ppm fuel (you still occasionally find pumps still marked as 500 ppm...).

Cetane # is a key index (analogous to octane for gasoline) and it varies widely (and is not required to be marked on the pump). EPA cert fuel allows a range of 44-48 cetane, but you can find <40 cetane fuel in parts of the country as well as cetanes approaching 52 (higher is better). BP Amoco used to sell a "premium diesel" which was 50+, but since the switch to ULSD I haven't seen it around here anyway.

I would avoid biodiesels altogether with this engine mainly because of the size of the fuel filter. Supposedly its approved for B5 but personally I wouldn't risk it with mine. However, some locations don't require the pump to be marked so you may be getting it anyway (not by choice).
crush33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
----

I spoke with my local tech a little more regarding this question, as my ETC went into "Limp Mode" the other morning. He states that the quality of the diesel is related to errors such as this.

--On a side note, the flashing )z( on the dashboard means: "Don't expect full-throttle acceleration." My Jeep was nearly useless for any speed past 40MPH. Sure enough, after turning off the engine for some time the problem was solved.

-Don't know if this helps anyone, but this was my experience thus far.
---- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.