Detailing/Washing Buffs - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Detailing/Washing Buffs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 08-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #76
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

What pads? Lake country?

Unread 08-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #77
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Actually, I'm going to try out some Hex-Logic pads! Going to get the orange and white pads.
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #78
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2010 WK 

I'm also a big fan of keeping things clean when I'm staying on the pavement for a while. I detailed at a Porsche dealer for a few years during and after HS but am mostly too lazy to go that in depth... Every once and a while though:

The old '08

Getting a good buff and wax just before deploying:

One thing that I've found is that most people opt for a cheap buffer... Or really, a cheap grinder/polisher. I've always said that if you want a real buffer, you should be expecting to spend over $150. A grinder/polisher is not meant to buff... they typically don't offer the same level of speed adjustment and precision which can lead to burning through paint. My weapon of choice is a Hitachi with either a Meguires or a Milwaukee pad with Griots Garage and or 3M compound. I've recently added a Griots Garage 3" random orbital to the arsenal and am a big fan... I use the Hitachi to make quick work of large surfaces and the Griots for the small hard to reach places.
Borla-S
USN_BlackWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #79
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconkid4x4
Anyone detail over the weekend?
Yep not the Jeep though. Detailed the race car yesterday.

image-2211039148.jpg
lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #80
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Just wanted some insight from you guys. I'm the second owner of my jeep and the previous was a smoker are there any good ways to get the cigarette smell out. Especially from the A/C
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #81
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK View Post
Just wanted some insight from you guys. I'm the second owner of my jeep and the previous was a smoker are there any good ways to get the cigarette smell out. Especially from the A/C
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002Z...=pd_sim_auto_1

Might be the mobile sight but just copy paste the product title
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #82
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

Quote:
Get an ozone machine, its my next purchase!!
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #83
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

I didn't notice many products for the black exterior plastic. The only black plastic I have is on the roof rack and that piece on the rear bumper. I haven't found anything to make that pop that doesn't seem to look worse after a month. I noticed someone say they use re-black is that good or is there anything else??? Thanks
dieseljeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #84
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep07
I didn't notice many products for the black exterior plastic. The only black plastic I have is on the roof rack and that piece on the rear bumper. I haven't found anything to make that pop that doesn't seem to look worse after a month. I noticed someone say they use re-black is that good or is there anything else??? Thanks
Turtle wax makes a product called trim restorer that seems to last at least a month and it continues to improve the plastic with each use. The only real way to fix it is to paint it I would say.
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #85
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Quote:
Ozium.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #86
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep07 View Post
Forever Black trim dye. It doesn't coat your plastic, it actually soaks in and dyes it again. Used it on wrangler flares, turned out great and actually lasts close to forever
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #87
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

Try some different products, use what you like, and use it often.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #88
blue3
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconkid4x4 View Post
Anyone detail over the weekend?
Last weekend was detail weekend for me.
My hood is getting more wear than I'd like. Dumb question, does putting 2 coats of wax on there do anything? I am using meguairs, guess I am in good company.
Also got a few paint chips missing, wondering if I should hunt down touchup paint or is wax ok to protect it for a while. Been a long time since I've had to worry about stuff like this on my cars.

So do you guys keep the engine bay sparkling, too? I don't detail mine, but I keep it cleaner than the average joe.
blue3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #89
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue3

Last weekend was detail weekend for me.
My hood is getting more wear than I'd like. Dumb question, does putting 2 coats of wax on there do anything? I am using meguairs, guess I am in good company.
Also got a few paint chips missing, wondering if I should hunt down touchup paint or is wax ok to protect it for a while. Been a long time since I've had to worry about stuff like this on my cars.

So do you guys keep the engine bay sparkling, too? I don't detail mine, but I keep it cleaner than the average joe.
Paint chips really won't be protected by wax, better off with good touch up paint clear coat. I do keep my engine bay sparkling, I'll have to get a picture. Simple green does a good job for this. I cover up the electronics when cleaning the engine bay as well.
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #90
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

I don't usually clean my engine bay on a regular basis, but when I do I just wipe it down with a damp, soapy rag. I don't usually do the detailing underneath the hood. It makes it look good, but I don't usually have the hood up. Just keeping things clean under there can go a long way to keeping parts working correctly.

As far as doing two coats of wax, I don't see a problem with it. It's going to help protect it a little more.
justinmiller930 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.