Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Detailing/Washing Buffs

7K views 94 replies 16 participants last post by  rubiconkid4x4 
#1 ·
I know, I know.. "it's a jeep, it's not supposed to be clean" I know, I am on #4. Are any of you guys detailing/cleaning buffs - anyone from the professional to weekend warrior? :washme: Just curious as to what people wash/wax/detail with and the procedures they use.. I detail quite often and am regularly called OCD. Also here to answer any questions or provide assistance. Been in the auto cleaning/detailing industry for on my own for ~5 years and used to work at a car wash!

#2 ·
I'm also often called OCD when it comes to keeping my vehicles clean. I do detailing on the side (mobile and drop off services). I use a lot of Meguiars products and Zaino products. There's a detailing store in my local mall that I can get a lot of good products. My Jeep is always clean, I don't believe that Jeeps aren't supposed to be clean!

#3 ·
Yeah I would like to do it on the side! Still trying to figure out which DA best suits me, leaning to the Porter Cable. And i also use Meguiars but as soon as i can find the trailer i want, i will be switching over to different stuff, probably same day, and thinking about running a water tank as well, with a foam gun

#4 ·
I probably wash my jeep once every couple of weeks, nothing too special. Simple soap and sponge, maybe a little bit of polish and wax if I'm feeling up to it. I do use Meguiar for the soap though. Inside I use leather cleaner and back to black to keep things looking good. My jeep sees mostly pavement so I tend to keep my jeep clean

#7 ·
I would highly recommend tossing it. To each their own, but everything (big, small, microscopic) the sponge is "picking up" is really getting dragged across the paint. I would recommend switching to a microfiber wash mitt or lambswool, even though i hate mitts. I try not to touch the paint at all when washing, but when i do need to touch it, it is with a damp microfiber towel with either detailing spray or quick wax. I am in the process of restoring my paint right now

#8 ·
I compound, polish and wax with a terry pad. Takes much longer than a DA, but I haven't really felt the need to buy one yet. I only use Meguiers products. I clay, Ultimate Compound, Deep Shine Polish, and then hit it with NXT 2.0. Leaves my 7 year old abused black paint looking great.

#11 ·
I LOVE CLAY, such an awesome tool that I think is so underrated. I really need to strip my wax and compound/polish the swirls, driving me insane! And i love the NXT 2.0, and it smells pretty good! Have you tried Megs ultimate wax? I use it on white, but i bet if you used it on black it would give you black alot more depth and vibrancy!

#9 ·
rubiconkid4x4 said:
Yeah I would like to do it on the side! Still trying to figure out which DA best suits me, leaning to the Porter Cable. And i also use Meguiars but as soon as i can find the trailer i want, i will be switching over to different stuff, probably same day, and thinking about running a water tank as well, with a foam gun
The porter cable 7424xp is what I have and I love it! I've never used a foam gun but I do have a soap attachment with my pressure washer that I like to use that mixes soap and water.

#10 ·
Have been known to be a bit obsessive from time to time with cleaning. Use several maguiars products amongst others. One of the best products I have is a synthetic chamois. I prefer synthetic to genuine chamois and have used the same brand for years - they last a long time and get better with age. The brand I use is Oates Enkafill (packaging says its made in the Netherlands).

Another good product for plastic bits (headlights, hood protector, weatherstrips etc) is Plexus. A bit expensive, but the very best.

If a soft cloth is not readily at hand for a final polish, T shirts and singlets often become instant polishing cloths. Not popular with the navigator!

#13 ·
Have been known to be a bit obsessive from time to time with cleaning. Use several maguiars products amongst others. One of the best products I have is a synthetic chamois. I prefer synthetic to genuine chamois and have used the same brand for years - they last a long time and get better with age. The brand I use is Oates Enkafill (packaging says its made in the Netherlands).

Another good product for plastic bits (headlights, hood protector, weatherstrips etc) is Plexus. A bit expensive, but the very best.

If a soft cloth is not readily at hand for a final polish, T shirts and singlets often become instant polishing cloths. Not popular with the navigator!
I know alot of people that are OBSESSED with their chamois, i prefer not to use it due to there not being any "pickup ability" for dust/fine particles- they just drag along the paint, just MHO, but one of my good friends uses it on his corvette and the paint is beautiful. At the same time he barely presses down on the chamois, he very lightly drags it-flipping sides and getting a new chamois with each different panel.

#14 ·
rubiconkid4x4 said:
Yeah thats what i want, but looking at the griots, dreaming of a flex :drool: . How does the Pressure Washer perform with soap? Does it give the car any lubrication when cleaning? I feel like it would just run off? Curious...
It works great, it has a canister that attaches at the nozzle that I fill with concentrated soap and it premixed it. That's the reason I use it is for the lubrication and it almost keeps me from having to touch the car except for some bug guys and stuff around the wheels. I just keep it at a lower pressure and the spray is a little less "misty" so it doesn't run off too quickly. Clay is one of my favorite tools as well, just so pricey!

#15 ·
I know I'm on the wj side but my mom owns a wk and I detail that so that counts for something ;) I wash, clay, wash again, compound and polish with chemical guys V34 V36 and V38, wax, use mother's reflection top coat, black the tires using meguiars endurance tire gel, re-black the plastic using mothers protectant, then clean and rain-x the glass. For the inside I vacuum, clean and condition leather using Zaino Z-9 and 7-10, clean plastics with any old interior detail spray, and then protect the plastic using the same Mothers protectant. I use a Griot's Garage 6" orbital polisher, lake country pads, and clean microfiber towels.

#17 ·
And I thought I was bad with my Jeep! My girlfriend says I'm OCD was well. Glad to see that I'm not the only one. I think it's nice we can all share our secrets. We can all learn something.

I've always been partial to Meguiars products as well. I typically wax and clay mine every three months. Or at least in the spring and fall.

#21 ·
And I thought I was bad with my Jeep! My girlfriend says I'm OCD was well. Glad to see that I'm not the only one. I think it's nice we can all share our secrets. We can all learn something.

I've always been partial to Meguiars products as well. I typically wax and clay mine every three months. Or at least in the spring and fall.
Thats why i wanted to start the thread! :cheers2:

#20 ·
Yeah, but I'm starting to steer away from it, at least solvent based products, and use gel instead, but even that is kinda.. ehhh. I use the meguiars NXT shine (spray) That stuff does really well, lasts long, looks good, but ill probably start investing my money in water based tire dressing, less destruction to my tires.

#22 ·
rubiconkid4x4 said:
Yeah, but I'm starting to steer away from it, at least solvent based products, and use gel instead, but even that is kinda.. ehhh. I use the meguiars NXT shine (spray) That stuff does really well, lasts long, looks good, but ill probably start investing my money in water based tire dressing, less destruction to my tires.
I've been considering this - for myself at least. My clients only have their cars washed monthly so I don't worry about their tires but as mine is done ~twice a week I want to switch to something less damaging. I find that I can generally keep my tires fairly black with just soap and water and a good scrub (separate bucket and rags of course) but I want something water based to get a little shine. Let me know if you have any success with any products.

#33 ·
I just don't like using any tire dressing all of the time, it always kills the bubbles when you wash it. I use Mequiar's tire shine when I do put it on. I have really always had success with Meguiar's products. I was thinking about starting my own detailing business on the side.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on places to purchase industrial size and strength products?

#34 ·
justinmiller930 said:
I just don't like using any tire dressing all of the time, it always kills the bubbles when you wash it. I use Mequiar's tire shine when I do put it on. I have really always had success with Meguiar's products. I was thinking about starting my own detailing business on the side.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on places to purchase industrial size and strength products?
Not sure where you're located but I'm in Pittsburgh and Autoality is a huge supplier here of higher end and industrial size cleaning products. Check them out I'm sure you can order stuff online.

#35 ·
I'm another Meguiars fan.
Use their soap wash with a lambswool mitt to wash the vehicle, making sure that I rinse the mitt with water before dipping it back into the soap bucket again, washing from the top down.
I apply Meguiars Carnauba wax about every 3 months.
Big tip.....do your bulbar as well if you have one. A lot easier to get the bugs off.
I also use Meguiars internally for the leather seats and as a cleaner as well. Have found their products superior.

Cheers, Craig

#43 ·
I looked into it a while ago but I couldn't find enough reasons to use it, so I kind of dropped it. I think the only thing it does that none of the things I have can do is clean the headliner and seat belts. If someone can find a great reason to buy one I just might, but for right now, it's a no go.

#44 ·
extractors are very useful but you can do with out them or find substitue products most the time. i worked at a detail shop for awhile and we used one everyday, it was nice for doing a real extensive job of cleaning carpets, mats, and cloth seats. but you can do with out that as long as you regular vacuum your car to avoid big stains and griminess building up on the carpet. when you do get that grime, a little carpet shampoo, a scrubber brush, and a vacuum does the same job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.