Detailing/Washing Buffs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Detailing/Washing Buffs

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
Jeep Brian

I only use Adams Polishes for all three vehicles!

Strip wash
Clay
Fine machine polish
IPA wipe down
Machine super sealant
Americana Paste Wax

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

And I thought I was bad with my Jeep! My girlfriend says I'm OCD was well. Glad to see that I'm not the only one. I think it's nice we can all share our secrets. We can all learn something.

I've always been partial to Meguiars products as well. I typically wax and clay mine every three months. Or at least in the spring and fall.
justinmiller930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaldry View Post
I know I'm on the wj side but my mom owns a wk and I detail that so that counts for something I wash, clay, wash again, compound and polish with chemical guys V34 V36 and V38, wax, use mother's reflection top coat, black the tires using meguiars endurance tire gel, re-black the plastic using mothers protectant, then clean and rain-x the glass. For the inside I vacuum, clean and condition leather using Zaino Z-9 and 7-10, clean plastics with any old interior detail spray, and then protect the plastic using the same Mothers protectant. I use a Griot's Garage 6" orbital polisher, lake country pads, and clean microfiber towels.
Thats what i'm talking about! Is the griots just the orbital or is it a DA? And how often do you compound and polish?? Whats your opinion on CG Products??
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Do any of you guys use tire shine?
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK View Post
Yeah, but I'm starting to steer away from it, at least solvent based products, and use gel instead, but even that is kinda.. ehhh. I use the meguiars NXT shine (spray) That stuff does really well, lasts long, looks good, but ill probably start investing my money in water based tire dressing, less destruction to my tires.
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmiller930 View Post
And I thought I was bad with my Jeep! My girlfriend says I'm OCD was well. Glad to see that I'm not the only one. I think it's nice we can all share our secrets. We can all learn something.

I've always been partial to Meguiars products as well. I typically wax and clay mine every three months. Or at least in the spring and fall.
Thats why i wanted to start the thread!
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconkid4x4

Yeah, but I'm starting to steer away from it, at least solvent based products, and use gel instead, but even that is kinda.. ehhh. I use the meguiars NXT shine (spray) That stuff does really well, lasts long, looks good, but ill probably start investing my money in water based tire dressing, less destruction to my tires.
I've been considering this - for myself at least. My clients only have their cars washed monthly so I don't worry about their tires but as mine is done ~twice a week I want to switch to something less damaging. I find that I can generally keep my tires fairly black with just soap and water and a good scrub (separate bucket and rags of course) but I want something water based to get a little shine. Let me know if you have any success with any products.
lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconkid4x4 View Post

If you find a good one let me know I've been using meguiars too
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #24
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:

Thats what i'm talking about! Is the griots just the orbital or is it a DA? And how often do you compound and polish?? Whats your opinion on CG Products??
The Griot's Garage is a DA (which means you won't burn your paint). I compound maybe every 6 month to a year and polish at least 3 times a year. I rarely need to compound and it's hard to tell when, time wise. It's more when I just go "oh yikes" as I see all the swirl marks. And the polish (or micro-polish) more frequently because it's faster and does a lot of good for how quick it is. And I LOVE chemical guys products. Great people to deal with and very involved in what they do. They even make great YouTube videos on product selection and how to use them. Would I buy EVERYTHING from them? No. But for paint correction and cleaning, yes. I'm not big on their dressings like tire black or plastic protectant but that's just because I've found better products.
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK View Post
Meguiars endurance gel doesn't have all those harsh chemicals and it leaves a nice BLACK, not a shiny look. Two days after application it looks the best (let the wet look go away) and then it stands strong for a good three weeks, which is the longest I've every seen a tire black last. After about a month your back to what you started with.
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #26
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

Quote:
Meguiars endurance gel doesn't have all those harsh chemicals and it leaves a nice BLACK, not a shiny look. Two days after application it looks the best (let the wet look go away) and then it stands strong for a good three weeks, which is the longest I've every seen a tire black last. After about a month your back to what you started with.
I would actually disagree, it is a solvent based product, just my .02, but thats what makes detailing fun! Everyones own techniques and different uses of different products!
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #27
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:

I would actually disagree, it is a solvent based product, just my .02, but thats what makes detailing fun! Everyones own techniques and different uses of different products!
Ok well its not armor all LOL and I haven't seen any negative side effects from it like the tires looking worse after it wears off or looking worn. This is after a year or two of using it. But good point, it isn't water based
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #28
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

Quote:
Ok well its not armor all LOL and I haven't seen any negative side effects from it like the tires looking worse after it wears off or looking worn. This is after a year or two of using it. But good point, it isn't water based
I hear ya there! I did pick up one thing the other day (Armor All Product) .. its a wheel protectant, i saw it in use and keeps the wheel looking mighty clean for a while even under other than normal driving conditions (hard braking, long drives, etc). Dont have any opinions on it yet but will provide y'all with some!

And funny Armor All is brought up, a buddy of mine just got a new civic and washed it and the the whole 7 yards, he asked me how he did, knowing how picky i am. "Well, you used armor all on your tires, and plastics" (-1 yard) coupled with "you know meguiars is right next to the armor all stuff" (-1 more)
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #29
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:

I hear ya there! I did pick up one thing the other day (Armor All Product) .. its a wheel protectant, i saw it in use and keeps the wheel looking mighty clean for a while even under other than normal driving conditions (hard braking, long drives, etc). Dont have any opinions on it yet but will provide y'all with some!

And funny Armor All is brought up, a buddy of mine just got a new civic and washed it and the the whole 7 yards, he asked me how he did, knowing how picky i am. "Well, you used armor all on your tires, and plastics" (-1 yard) coupled with "you know meguiars is right next to the armor all stuff" (-1 more)
Haha I tell people Armor All can be used on everything. So if you feel like ruining everything, I highly recommend it. And yes, tell us how that wheel protectant goes!
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #30
BoraBora
2006 WK 

I use Armor All Tire Foam to clean and blacken my tires.....
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.