Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Detailing/Washing Buffs

7K views 94 replies 16 participants last post by  rubiconkid4x4 
#1 ·
I know, I know.. "it's a jeep, it's not supposed to be clean" I know, I am on #4. Are any of you guys detailing/cleaning buffs - anyone from the professional to weekend warrior? :washme: Just curious as to what people wash/wax/detail with and the procedures they use.. I detail quite often and am regularly called OCD. Also here to answer any questions or provide assistance. Been in the auto cleaning/detailing industry for on my own for ~5 years and used to work at a car wash!

#78 ·
I'm also a big fan of keeping things clean when I'm staying on the pavement for a while. I detailed at a Porsche dealer for a few years during and after HS but am mostly too lazy to go that in depth... Every once and a while though:

The old '08

Getting a good buff and wax just before deploying:

One thing that I've found is that most people opt for a cheap buffer... Or really, a cheap grinder/polisher. I've always said that if you want a real buffer, you should be expecting to spend over $150. A grinder/polisher is not meant to buff... they typically don't offer the same level of speed adjustment and precision which can lead to burning through paint. My weapon of choice is a Hitachi with either a Meguires or a Milwaukee pad with Griots Garage and or 3M compound. I've recently added a Griots Garage 3" random orbital to the arsenal and am a big fan... I use the Hitachi to make quick work of large surfaces and the Griots for the small hard to reach places.

#83 ·
I didn't notice many products for the black exterior plastic. The only black plastic I have is on the roof rack and that piece on the rear bumper. I haven't found anything to make that pop that doesn't seem to look worse after a month. I noticed someone say they use re-black is that good or is there anything else??? Thanks

#84 ·
dieseljeep07 said:
I didn't notice many products for the black exterior plastic. The only black plastic I have is on the roof rack and that piece on the rear bumper. I haven't found anything to make that pop that doesn't seem to look worse after a month. I noticed someone say they use re-black is that good or is there anything else??? Thanks
Turtle wax makes a product called trim restorer that seems to last at least a month and it continues to improve the plastic with each use. The only real way to fix it is to paint it I would say.

#89 ·
blue3 said:
Last weekend was detail weekend for me.
My hood is getting more wear than I'd like. Dumb question, does putting 2 coats of wax on there do anything? I am using meguairs, guess I am in good company.
Also got a few paint chips missing, wondering if I should hunt down touchup paint or is wax ok to protect it for a while. Been a long time since I've had to worry about stuff like this on my cars.

So do you guys keep the engine bay sparkling, too? I don't detail mine, but I keep it cleaner than the average joe.
Paint chips really won't be protected by wax, better off with good touch up paint clear coat. I do keep my engine bay sparkling, I'll have to get a picture. Simple green does a good job for this. I cover up the electronics when cleaning the engine bay as well.

#90 ·
I don't usually clean my engine bay on a regular basis, but when I do I just wipe it down with a damp, soapy rag. I don't usually do the detailing underneath the hood. It makes it look good, but I don't usually have the hood up. Just keeping things clean under there can go a long way to keeping parts working correctly.

As far as doing two coats of wax, I don't see a problem with it. It's going to help protect it a little more.

#92 ·
rubiconkid4x4 said:
Well, been waiting for 3 weeks for a new DA polisher and brush.. and they decide to send me an email today saying it can't be delivered. :mad:
I waited 2 weeks for some winter mats that I ordered only to have to message the eBay seller asking where my product was and they said they no longer have them and could refund my money. Good thing I remembered or prob would have never gotten it back.

Back on topic, I've been helping some family move and my Jeep is dirty. It makes me sick lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.