Design Input for aftermarket exhaust configuration? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Design Input for aftermarket exhaust configuration?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-30-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
SYCOHEMI

Design Input for aftermarket exhaust configuration?

I'm working next week with a major exhaust manufacturer to develop a prototype exhaust for the Jeep Commander.

I am curious, as to what material and/or design is recommended for a vehicle that will see about 25% off road usage on moderate trails, rocks, mud, and occasional snow.

The stock exhaust tip doesn't presently show. It is kept near the rear bumper at exit.

I'd like to see a tip (or dual tip) protruding, but I was wondering if this would radically affect the departure angle, and also be subjected to many impacts.

Also wondering if side or rear exhaust is preferred, and whether stainless steel is significantly more durable in a water/mud/snow environment than aluminized steel.

I'm inclined to go dual tip, side exit, stainless. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

The flatter the better so this doesn't happen:

As for the tip keep it away from the bumper slightly so when you do hit something it has room to flex. Of course sometimes it just doesn't flex enough and ya get some dents:

Go for stainless steel, will last much longer.

You never said what engine this will be fore, I assume the hemi? I wouldn't go dual tip for any engine but the hemi.
Unread 12-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #3
SYCOHEMI

Thanks for the tips and photos.

This will be for the 5.7L HEMI.

Dual tips a possibility.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 12-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
tate228
1995 XJ Cherokee 

hearders dual cats and a set of good mufflers. you cant go wrong with that.
tate228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
INTREPER

Syco, what maker are you going with?
INTREPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
SYCOHEMI

Gibson Performance completed the prototype exhaust on my Commander Limited. It is a single tip exiting out the rear. I had a problem posting pics.

It sounds absolutely crazy. Sounds really good as a matter of fact. A little on the loud side, but sounds very deep and throaty. It came out really nice.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 12-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
CinciSurWJ

Any Pics ???
Kevin's 2.5"BB, DT3000, OME SS, Addco Rear Sway bar
Front Skid & Transfer Case Skid.

CinciSurWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Or a sound clip
Unread 12-23-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
SYCOHEMI

I'm having a problem getting my photos to upload into Photobucket.

I will try again later.

Happy Holidays All!
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 12-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
SYCOHEMI

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_9289.jpg

Okay, it took forever to upload, but here is the first picture showing a side view of the new exhaust.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 12-26-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
SYCOHEMI

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_9288.jpg

Here's another photo of the exhaust tip.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 12-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

If yours is still a prototype, why not pick a standard size hole-saw, make the tip smaller than that, and supply a small stainless trim ring.

If there's clearance to get the pipe up behind the bumper, why not have it exit THROUGH the bumper. Looks different, and full clearance out back?
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #13
SYCOHEMI

That would be a great design.

Mine is a prototype for mass production. Not sure if the cutout would interfere with the rear parking distance sensors.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.