Dependability W5A580 Automatic Tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dependability W5A580 Automatic Tranny

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
stryker221982
2005 WK 

Dependability W5A580 Automatic Tranny

Is this tranny dependable? Mine has 93000 miles on it. Just had a tranny service done, no metal shaving in the pan. Seems to shift a little faster and tighter now.

I know the 3.7 is supposedly durable if you maintain it, havent heard much about this tranny though.

stryker221982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

probably last a while if maintianed properly, the real test is to see alot of wk on the road pushing 200k in the next 3 years. I know im having some issues with my tranny were it clunks like crazy when its cold.
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker221982 View Post
Is this tranny dependable? Mine has 93000 miles on it. Just had a tranny service done, no metal shaving in the pan. Seems to shift a little faster and tighter now.

I know the 3.7 is supposedly durable if you maintain it, havent heard much about this tranny though.
Did you flush or drain and fill? And is this the first time you've serviced it?
I just hit 80,000 and need to service mine.

Edit: I believe this is also the same trans the SRT8 has in it. So.... if it can handle that beast, I'm sure it has no issues handling the 3.7L.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
cmdrjim
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post

Edit: I believe this is also the same trans the SRT8 has in it. So.... if it can handle that beast, I'm sure it has no issues handling the 3.7L.
It is the same transmission in the SRT8, so they put it behind a 6.1L V8. Changing the fluid and filter is the key,
cmdrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
stryker221982
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post

I used to work as a parts manager at a Ford dealer and there we used a tranny flush machine and a chemical additive that was supposed to help clean. Pros to this was it flush the entire system which worked well on vehicles which did proper maintance . Cons didnt change the filter or clean/inspect the pan. Also on older vehicles not properly maintained you ran the possibility of clogging the valve body causing more harm then good.

the dealer i brought it to believes more in a drain from the pan change all the filters in this case one and clean/inspect the pan and replace the pan gasket and refill with fuild.

I always have the dealer do this kinda work for the "just in case" clause where if something gets ruined then they are liable
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
stryker221982
2005 WK 

is the W5A580 the same as the 545RFE? i downloaded a factory service manual and it only list 2 trannys for this the, 545RFE and the NAG1

my as built data shows the W5A580 as the option used
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
justa4banger
2007 WK 

Strker, the 2 trannies are different...

NAG1 is a W5A580...

aslo do some searching around as there are part numbers on this forum do acquire a Dipstick for your NAG1/W5A580
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

No, it is not the same as a 545RFE, but the NAG1 is the W5A580. It is a Mercedes based transmission and, IMO, is far superior to the 545. It is also used in the 6.1 SRT8 WK, and I have one in my Hemi Magnum. I have the 545 in my Hemi WK, which cannot (at least on my 06) be made into a true autostick with a tuner like the W5, has better gearing (very similar to the early GM Hydramatics), and a better shift schedule and converter lockup scheme, just to name a few. If I could easily convert, I would.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Lt_JWS
2006 XK Commander 

Had a Chrysler 300C with a Hemi and W5A580 come into our shop about a year ago with hardly any fluid in it and replaced a leaking seal(or wire connector) and serviced the tranny and they haven't had any problems since... I know the 545RFE would have died from that
2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II | Daystar 2" Lift |K&N Filter | Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | IAT Mod | Leather, heated seats,Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle
Lt_JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #10
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker221982 View Post
I used to work as a parts manager at a Ford dealer and there we used a tranny flush machine and a chemical additive that was supposed to help clean. Pros to this was it flush the entire system which worked well on vehicles which did proper maintance . Cons didnt change the filter or clean/inspect the pan. Also on older vehicles not properly maintained you ran the possibility of clogging the valve body causing more harm then good.

the dealer i brought it to believes more in a drain from the pan change all the filters in this case one and clean/inspect the pan and replace the pan gasket and refill with fuild.

I always have the dealer do this kinda work for the "just in case" clause where if something gets ruined then they are liable
There is a TSB about flushing. Chrysler doesn't recomend it, and they say never use any chem additive. The dealer actually did the right thing. My dealer is still pushing the flushes. I guess they paid all that money for the machine and want to use it.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
BonesWK
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_JWS View Post
I know the 545RFE would have died from that
sure would have - I know mine did
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.