Dealership Service: Fed up & Baffled - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-12-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Jimbo_IX
2006 WK 

Dealership Service: Fed up & Baffled

I took my WK to the dealership with the front-end clicking. I figured it was one of the front half-shafts. I still have warranty left, so I figured id let them replace the parts.

Well......

First they told me there was nothin wrong, then it was bad UCAs, then they tell me the mounting bolt holes for the LCAs are reamed out and the entire front suspension is shifting back and forth causing the noise. They want to replace the entire sub-frame and both LCAs.

And according to their "technician". This was ALL caused by the 2" strut spacers and the "non-factory" bilstein shocks because the "suspension geometry is so far out of factory spec".

I have been driving for the past 3 months without any suspension or alignment issues. NOW all of a sudden there is a problem???? WTF?!?!?

I have seen or read nothing about LCAs and sub-frame getting worn out on the WK. Anyone heard of this?

06 WK Overland, HEMI & QD2
2"BB, Bilstein 4600 & 5125.
MOABs & GY 255/75-17
intake & exhaust mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 PM
bensylrm
2005 WK 

I would say, seek a second opinion from a different dealership. All it would really cost is the gas to get there, and time of course. I've never heard of such problems being caused by a lift, or for any other reason really. It could very well be just a case of a dealership not liking people personalizing their vehicles. They can also be hungry for the work, thinking that you may be some dumb schmuck that would help them pad their wallets. Very worst case, a second opinion yields similar results. In which case, it would be the first time for something like this that I have ever heard of. And in that case, I would say it is time for a new Jeep. If it has these kind of problems, just think of what else could go wrong once that is fixed.

05 WK 4.7 OME HD F150 MLL's, BFG MT 255/75-17. Lots of stickers, lights EVERYWHERE!
post #3 of 14 Old 08-12-2015, 05:22 PM
bensylrm
2005 WK 

It might also be worth your time to crawl under there and make sure all the bolts are tightened. Just sayin...

I have a general distrust for the stealership.

05 WK 4.7 OME HD F150 MLL's, BFG MT 255/75-17. Lots of stickers, lights EVERYWHERE!
post #4 of 14 Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 PM
2jeepswkjk

I would go get other opinions also.

My dealership misdiagnosed my front end noises, and blamed my lift/mods. I just don't trust those guys anymore.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-12-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Jimbo_IX
2006 WK 

I have NEVER taken my current or past jeeps to dealership for service for his this reason.
Always did my own work.

These jokers told me it was all fixed, I went to pick it up and the same clicking noise was still there AND the steering wheel was now off-center (turned about 1/4 turn to the right for the wheels to be straight). They then said the metal on the sub-frame LCA mounting hole has been worn thin and that is why the LCAs wont hold a torque and is shifting. WHAT!?!?!?

Granted, I dont know everything there is to know about jeep suspensions, but i have never heard of something like this. These guys are worrying me.

MOABs & GY 255/75-17
intake & exhaust mods
post #6 of 14 Old 08-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Reddogaggie
2008 XK Commander 

I second you going for a second opinion. I have an 08 XK and have only recently figured out that I know more about the car than my local dealership. The mechanics know more about how to fix a real problem but I don't think any of them can diagnose the problem as well as I. Trust me, I'm not a car/Jeep guru but after lots reading and doing some of my own work on the commander this past year I feel pretty knowledgeable now. I trust a couple "jeep" mechanics in the area more than the dealership!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Find another shop. Mine clicked under throttle but when going straight. Two shops couldn't find the problem, the third took 20 minutes to get it right. The front drive shaft had a bad joint.

265/70-17 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO, 2" lift, JK Wrangler Moab wheels, Spidertrax Spacers, Rola Roof Rack.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-13-2015, 05:05 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

If the subframe holes really are worn, it doesn't need replaced. A spacer could be welded over the existing hole to repair it...but a dealer won't do that.

Dealer work FTL.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #9 of 14 Old 08-18-2015, 04:03 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_IX View Post
I have NEVER taken my current or past jeeps to dealership for service for his this reason.
Always did my own work.

These jokers told me it was all fixed, I went to pick it up and the same clicking noise was still there AND the steering wheel was now off-center (turned about 1/4 turn to the right for the wheels to be straight). They then said the metal on the sub-frame LCA mounting hole has been worn thin and that is why the LCAs wont hold a torque and is shifting. WHAT!?!?!?

Granted, I dont know everything there is to know about jeep suspensions, but i have never heard of something like this. These guys are worrying me.
Hey Jimbo IX,

What FCA certified dealership diagnosed your vehicle? If you private message me you contact info and VIN, I can look into this issue further.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Jimbo_IX
2006 WK 

After three weeks of back and forth dealing with the extended warranty company & dealership, I finally got my Jeep back this morning. Other than the new UCAs they put on, nothing has changed. Still having clicking in the front half-shaft when turning.

After sending out an inspector, the extended warranty company declined to pay for any additional repairs due to my "aftermarket alterations". Additionally, they informed me that they would not cover any future claims on the vehicle. They will happily refund 1/2 of what I paid for the warranty, since I have already driven 6000 miles of the covered 12,000.

On the bright side, it seems that since the warranty company declined to pay for new LCAs and a new sub-frame cradle, those parts dont seem to be in as bad condition as the technician originally thought. It appears they CAN align the front end to spec and it WILL in fact hold torque. Miraculous!

If you live in the San Antonio,TX area, I CAN NOT recommend North Star Dodge!

MOABs & GY 255/75-17
intake & exhaust mods
post #11 of 14 Old 08-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Jtav2012
2005 WK 

That's unfortunate, I've only had one bad experience with my normal shop and that was just due to a miscommunication over the phone.

Not-stock 2005 5.7L WK
post #12 of 14 Old 08-28-2015, 02:46 PM
ISUzj
2005 WK 

When you say clicking in front half shaft, just one side? or both? I may have the same issue you do... does it creak and groan when you turn then go straight?

I have been chasing a mystery creak-pop noise for about 8 months now. replaced tie rod ends, have new CV's on both sides, still have a creak when i am at a stop and turn steering wheel lock-lock

Can't wait to get started, but my wallet can......
~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Jimbo_IX
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
When you say clicking in front half shaft, just one side? or both? I may have the same issue you do... does it creak and groan when you turn then go straight?

I have been chasing a mystery creak-pop noise for about 8 months now. replaced tie rod ends, have new CV's on both sides, still have a creak when i am at a stop and turn steering wheel lock-lock
Sounds like the same noise. I found an old thread on here suggesting to adjust the steering gear box. That will be next on my list.

MOABs & GY 255/75-17
intake & exhaust mods
post #14 of 14 Old 12-03-2015, 08:43 PM
bukwld69

Keep us updated cause I have the same noise. I saw on a thread that turning the yoke but a tiny bit after a lift usually fixes some of the noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.