Dealer differential fluid? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dealer differential fluid?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
sanitarium16
2007 WK 

Dealer charged me $504.00 for the total service. My *** is still hurting. I told them i was going to use Mobil 1 and they said that it will slip and cause issues.

Unread 06-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
Spider-One
2008 WK 

Why would it slip and cause issues... If you used something that didn't contain additives or chose not to use the additives separately all it would do is cause the diffs to lock up more easily, not slip. The additive actually causes slippage so you don't lock up going around corners and such causing tire chirp. A lot of guys actually choose not to use the additives or use only half of the recommended amount for added performance off-road.
Unread 06-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
sanitarium16
2007 WK 

Next time im going to use Mobil 1 or Amsoil for the front and rear differentials and just use the dealer for the transfer case.
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #19
JMorash
2005 WK 

Just did both my diffs. Cost me $250 for 6qt's of mopar gear oil, and 4 bottles of friction modifier.

Pain in the ***, and my wallet!
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorash View Post
Just did both my diffs. Cost me $250 for 6qt's of mopar gear oil, and 4 bottles of friction modifier.

Pain in the ***, and my wallet!
lawl? $250? Wow you got robbed' Amsoil would of been ALOT Cheaper and It alrdy has FM in it.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svo.aspx And Ridin' around on here can get you 20% of that also so Amsoil is cheaper AND HELLA lot better than dealer fluid. sorry you got robbed for $250 6qt of amsoil at normal price is $90 friction modifer IF YOU WANTED MORE it's like $20 so $110 normal pricing.

Hell i could even place the amsoil order for you.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #21
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorash View Post
Two diffs require no more than 4 quarts of gear oil and 2 bottles of friction modifier.
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
cmonson

You guys are insane paying a dealer $500 to change the 2 diffs and a t-case.

I just did all mine using dealer t-case fluid and mobil 1 sythetic gear oil. Total cost was just North of $120.

The tcase took 15 mins.

The front diff took 30 mins.

The rear diff took about 1 hour.

I did the entire change including drinking 2 beers in under 2 hours. I also know what went into my Jeep...

You guys paying people to change fluids on a vehicle shouldn't be allowed to drive a Jeep. Start being a MAN!!!
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #23
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
You guys paying people to change fluids on a vehicle shouldn't be allowed to drive a Jeep. Start being a MAN!!!
Good grief. Lighten up man.

Not everyone is so inclined, nor interested in spending the time to do it.

I do it myself, but if I had the cash I wouldn't. There's better ways to spend my time. I would shop the price around though.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #24
cmonson

Quote:
Good grief. Lighten up man.
I'm just being a smarta..

Let me take some tension out...

cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #25
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

LOL. OK man.
-------------
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.