Originally Posted by darthsidious
My question is as I start my internet search is there anything else i should check? where are some cheaper places to get an oe starter? how much of a pita is it to get to?
Some info from the service manual:
STARTER FAILS TO OPERATE
Could be caused by:
1. Battery discharged or faulty.
2. Starting circuit wiring faulty.
3. Starter relay faulty.
4. Ignition switch faulty.
5. Park/Neutral position switch faulty or misadjusted.
6. Starter motor faulty.
08 - Electrical/8F - Engine Systems/Starting/STARTER/Removal
1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
2. Raise and support vehicle.
3. Note: If equipped with 4WD and certain transmissions, a support bracket is used between front axle and side of transmission. Remove 2 support bracket bolts at transmission. Pry support bracket slightly to gain access to lower starter mounting bolt.
4. Remove two mounting bolts (2).
5. Move starter motor towards front of vehicle far enough for nose of starter pinion housing to clear housing. Always support starter motor (1) during this process, do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
6. Tilt nose downwards and lower starter motor far enough to access and remove nut that secures battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet to solenoid battery terminal stud. Do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
7. Remove battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet from solenoid battery terminal stud.
8. Disconnect battery positive cable wire harness connector from solenoid terminal connector receptacle.
9. Remove starter motor.