Dead Starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dead Starter

VANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake kiLabor Day Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
darthsidious
2006 WK 

Dead Starter

Well it appears as though my starter died today. I've just begun to search the forum for other possible reasons the jeep won't start, I am pretty sure the Starter is the culprit. This should be fun.

A little info on the problem:

I went out to run to the grocery store, Jeep no start.
All accessories work fine; instrument panel, radio, rear dvd, lights, etc, full tank of gas, and drove fine yesterday right around 24hrs ago.

Have had a problem getting it to start on colder days, only two or three times. In those instances second try it would fire right up, didn't think twice about it at the time as we had a colder winter than in past years.

I go to turn it over and everything lights up on dash like normal, starter clicks once. wait a few minutes and try again, same result. Opened hood and went about checking all the fuse panels, battery connections etc.

My question is as I start my internet search is there anything else i should check? where are some cheaper places to get an oe starter? how much of a pita is it to get to?

Jeep is an 06 grand limited
Hemi
122500miles
oil change in last 500miles

Also at the 120-130,000 mile range what routine maintenance should I get out of the way relatively soon?

2006 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi )( Hemi club member #44, '95 Geo Prizm(daily)
darthsidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthsidious View Post

My question is as I start my internet search is there anything else i should check? where are some cheaper places to get an oe starter? how much of a pita is it to get to?
Some info from the service manual:

STARTER FAILS TO OPERATE
Could be caused by:
1. Battery discharged or faulty.
2. Starting circuit wiring faulty.
3. Starter relay faulty.
4. Ignition switch faulty.
5. Park/Neutral position switch faulty or misadjusted.
6. Starter motor faulty.

08 - Electrical/8F - Engine Systems/Starting/STARTER/Removal
5.7L/6.1L

1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
2. Raise and support vehicle.
3. Note: If equipped with 4WD and certain transmissions, a support bracket is used between front axle and side of transmission. Remove 2 support bracket bolts at transmission. Pry support bracket slightly to gain access to lower starter mounting bolt.
4. Remove two mounting bolts (2).
5. Move starter motor towards front of vehicle far enough for nose of starter pinion housing to clear housing. Always support starter motor (1) during this process, do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
6. Tilt nose downwards and lower starter motor far enough to access and remove nut that secures battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet to solenoid battery terminal stud. Do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
7. Remove battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet from solenoid battery terminal stud.
8. Disconnect battery positive cable wire harness connector from solenoid terminal connector receptacle.
9. Remove starter motor.
starter.jpg

JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
darthsidious
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Some info from the service manual:

STARTER FAILS TO OPERATE
Could be caused by:
1. Battery discharged or faulty.
2. Starting circuit wiring faulty.
3. Starter relay faulty.
4. Ignition switch faulty.
5. Park/Neutral position switch faulty or misadjusted.
6. Starter motor faulty.

1. I can eliminate this as the Jeep still has full power for accessories.
2. I'll have to dig around and check all connections at starter to verify.
3. swapped the relay with a close non essential on and problem persists.
4. Is there an easy way to verify eliminate this as a cause?
5. same as 4?
6. Would need to have it towed to verify this. This is not a current option. Can a starter be bench tested?

I've read a few threads and have a bunch more to read. What I seem to run across is:
1. Bad starter
2. Corrosion on the yellow wire

It seems like the most cost effective option is to replace spade connector on the yellow wire and dielectric grease the bejeezuz out of it. If this doesn't work then replace the stater

After reading a few threads there isn't one decisive end all be all fix.

Is there anything I'm over looking? Anything so stupidly simple most people don't realize to check?

After closer inspection my MOPAR 72series battery has a '7/09' Sticker on it. I'll be adding that to the replacement list. What is a good battery to go with now a days?
Unread 04-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Pyroman_28
2006 WK 

Definitely sounds like either a bad ground or the starter is finally on its way out.. Start with the connections like you said, and if the problem persists give the starter a whack or two and see if you can get it to turn over.
Unread 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
darthsidious
2006 WK 

well a little up date, there is no heat shield on the starter like in another persons account.

so back out i go to finish the yellow wire fix, see if it works then on to find the heat shield.

anyone have ideas the cheapest place to source one?
Unread 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
darthsidious
2006 WK 

well replaced the end on the yellow wire, no luck. looks like i'm pulling the starter tomorrow.
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
WKeer
2007 WK 

I have 147K on my WK and both the starter and ignition switch have gone out on me and been replaced, both within the last 18 months. The ignition switch is cheap and pretty easy to fix so I would start there however, if the starter noise was becoming more and more labored recently, it's more than likely that. Might try giving the starter a whack with a hammer and see if she'll start up - if she does, that's your problem.
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
darthsidious
2006 WK 

Well I replaced the starter and everything seems as though it is working as it should. next up will be a battery, and some other things I have to track down.
Unread 05-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

did your problem ever come back or was the starter the culprit?
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited - Wifey's stock haul rig - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - 3.5 "IRO, 31s, a full sound system, 2 row rad, E Fan, 5.9 Limited Grill, no muffler - 1990 Nissan 300zx NA 5spd - Stillen Catback, a full sound system, 18" Rota p45r's - 2003 Aprilia SL1000 Falco - Slip-On's, Arrow Chip, Airbox Mod - 1984 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel - 093 ATS Turbo Kit
Joeyicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
Volkswagenguy

I have not had any problems since. It seemed as though the starter got toasted slowly from the exhaust manifold, as there was no heat shield on the starter. Which i am sure there is supposed to be.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using JeepForum
Volkswagenguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.