Dashboard Went Haywire - lost gauges, lights stuck on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dashboard Went Haywire - lost gauges, lights stuck on

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
hgsouth

Dashboard Went Haywire - lost gauges, lights stuck on

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Last night while I was waiting to make a left turn, my car's dash went haywire, all these lights went on, all the "warnings" were cycling through, the turn signal arrow was stuck on (turn signals stopped working), the radio completely went black, the seat warmers shut off, and the speedometer and tachometer and temp gauge stopped working and went to 0.

It stayed this way for the rest of the drive and I was able to go home.

Turned the car off, turned it back on, issue persisted. Couldn't use the key fob to lock the car - it was totally unresponsive.

Turned it off again and got out of the car and watched it for awhile, and the dash illumination stayed on with just the gauges backlit and the one turn signal arrow still on.

Left it overnight and all the panels did shut off. Started the car this morning, all seems back to normal except the check engine light is on.

I took it to the dealer this morning and they want $120 to diagnose it. I decided not to do it today as I have a lot of appointments and if the car's working I need to drive it.

Does anyone have any idea? Did the module freeze? Is this a one off or will this keep happening and should I definitely get it looked at?

Also, I obviously need to get the codes read for the check engine light, but can I just take this to a private place for less $$$?

Not a car tech wizard so any advice would be appreciated

Also, I did replace the battery about 2 months ago by AAA because the old battery left me dead one day. Hadn't had any problems since then though.

Thanks

Last edited by hgsouth; 11-18-2014 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: added some details
hgsouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
tom19511
2006 WK 

Its hard to tell with out a code reading. Some of these WK owners have had trouble with the turn signal stalk. Also, the ignition switch on the WK's are being recalled.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Yooshaw
2007 WK 

How old is your battery? I've heard older batteries can make the electrical go haywire. May be worth to do a load test at an auto parts store to rule it out.

Nevermind, missed that you already had it checked.
Yooshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

the Auto Zone and O Reilly stores in my area will read your code(s) for free.

Your battery, though new, is still a suspect....
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
rockstrmental1t
2005 WK 

I had that happen to me every so often on my last wk. Never figured it out but I did manage to figue out that when I disconnected the battery and reattached it all of the problems went away and the jeep returned to normal.
rockstrmental1t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Always Jeep owners who complain of this. I am curious what it is about them that makes the JEEP so prone to this. Serious question. Tagged for interest.
Unread 11-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
BAH101
2008 WK 

Had that happen twice after a new battery install. Pull your cables, clean the posts and the cable ends then reinstall, make sure the cables are tight. Mine loosened off but I never noticed they were loose until I went to add another wire for my lights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.