Dash Lights Flickering - Dimmer Problem on WK - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dash Lights Flickering - Dimmer Problem on WK

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #46
dsalmen

Left MFS - Cleaned and adjusted contacts - fixed flickering dash lights

Light the previous poster, I removed Left Multi-Function Switch (MFS) which is the left control for headlights, dash dimmer, etc, and cleaned the contacts (the little pins for the electrical connector). In addition, I noticed one of the pins was bent a bit. Used a very small needle nose plier and straightened it up. I let the contact cleaner dry and put it back together. To my complete surprise, no more crazy dash light brightness changes while driving at night. Will report back if the fix does not last, but previously I was experiencing the dash light insanity on pretty much every drive at night.

One quick note on disassembly of the Left MFS. The three "bolts" that hold together the shroud around the steering column are actually three torx head screws that you remove from the bottom. The whole thing came apart quite easily once you find the right torx sizes - mine required two different sizes.

dsalmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #47
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

Success! I replaced the MFS switch about 5 months ago and no more flickering. I was real easy to replace, 15-30 minutes.
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #48
MSniper
2005 WK 

2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo

I am having to revive this thread. Alot of good information is within this subject. The problem that I am facing is with a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I noticed that while driving the dashboard lights (instrument panel) will flash in a crazy way. Of course I did not notice the headlights flickering as well until it was night. I usually drive during the day time with the headlights on even though this model does not have automatic headlights.

This morning on my drive to work I used my headlights since it was dark outside and of course the dashboard lights started flickering and then my headlights done the same thing. It eventually stopped but when it stopped my headlights were off even though the switch showed that it was on. I rolled the switch to off position and back on and everything was fine. I am just seriously questioning if this is the multi switch or another issue. I can purchase the multi switch at the local part store for $47 and will be glad to put it on but I am afraid that there might be more to the problem. Since i am not seeing my radio lights flicker. This could be since I no longer have the factory radio in and replaced the factory with a JVC over a year ago.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
MSniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #49
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Probably a loose ground, that's what mine was anyhow. The car starter was moving around in the dash hitting it.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #50
MSniper
2005 WK 

Of course I did not have the part in hand but I have looked and everything appears to be tight and nothing loose. The more I think the more I am leaning toward the Multi Switch.
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #51
MSniper
2005 WK 

2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo Flickering Lights

I posted a video on youtube showing the problem i am having if anyone wants the link let me know and I will pm the link.
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #52
MSniper
2005 WK 

Jeep dealer was informed of the issue and they are confused. They informed me if I replace the ignition switch I will have to get the system reprogrammed because of the keys I have and the alarm on the jeep. Is this true when you only replace the switch and not the tumbled cylinder?
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #53
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

Its the MFS.
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #54
MSniper
2005 WK 

Update.... Purchased a new MF switch from orielly auto parts put the switch on. Process was d/c neg terminal took steering shroud off removed old mf switch put new one in screwed back on then screwed shroud back on making sure nothing was pinched. Hooked neg terminal back up.

And the HORN was going non stop not a beep here beep there but constant blowing.... Took terminal off horn stopped put back on horn started I tried putting key in door and turn left and right to reset system but it was not the alarm I had to pull the horn relay under hood to fix problem. So now headlights work but I can't put the horn relay back in because horn will not stop.

Any ideas
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #55
Nick_Will
2006 WK 

Wanted to bump this thread. Anyone know of a video of this? Or a video of the repair? Mine interior lights are flickering as well, but also my interior lights won't always turn on when I turn the switch all the way. I'm gonna tear it apart tomorrow, but wondered if there were any videos of it first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.