Dash Lights Flickering - Dimmer Problem on WK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dash Lights Flickering - Dimmer Problem on WK

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-27-2010, 06:09 AM   #16
powerhawk

Hello all, new to the forum. I was wondering when you folks are talking about the dash lights, are you also speaking of all the idiot lights as well. What I mean is all those lights that come one when you first start the vehicle. Seat belt, tpms, park brake, EBS and the rest of them. I have an 06Grand Cherokee laredo. This problem has been intermitent for a while, but becoming more frequent as of late.

powerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
ameline

The flickering idiot lights is almost always due to a faulty ignition key switch. It's a $40 part that takes 30 minutes to replace.
ameline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
powerhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameline View Post
The flickering idiot lights is almost always due to a faulty ignition key switch. It's a $40 part that takes 30 minutes to replace.
Excellant, thanks for the info. I will look into it.
powerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
TJ9999
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ogeyman View Post
That is interesting. I have the same exact problem on my 06 overland, the cluster and the nav unit flicker and dim whenever I have the setting on bright, but if i set it like half way down then it doesn't flicker anymore!
Same problem here on my 2005 WK Hemi. But it doesnt happen every time, it's pretty very irregular.
I guess I will change the light switch as suggested by Merlin when it gets worse. Thanks for the advice!
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
lll2for3lll
2005 WK 

Same problem here too. But it doesn't happen often.
lll2for3lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #21
2005GRANDONE
2005 WK 

my dash and hvac backlighting flashes ive isolated it to be the turn signal headlight switch when they start flashing i wiggle it and they stop not a big deal to me though but i will replace if it becomes more of an issue and ive got 62000 miles been doing it since 35000
05 laredo, 4.7 V8, H.O. cams, fastman t.b. OME hd 3", Rustys .5 spacers, bilstein 5150 rear, yukon spider & side gears, superchips flashpaq, 33x12.50x17 nitto mud grapplers on black moabs, 1.5 spidertrax wheel spacers, flowmaster 40 series, K&N cai, Mopar gas tank, T.C & engine skid plates, riddler diff cover, removed sway bar on front.

Jks quicker disconnects for sale pm me
2005GRANDONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #22
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

I did my multifuction switch today super easy to do three torqs screws hold the cover then 2 screws hold the switch on.10 minute job.I also installed a new ignition switch this one took about 1 hour to do.pull trim piece around the ignition switch and there are 2 screws pull the trim around the cluster there is 1 screw to drop the switch down and discennect wires and cable wire to get the switch out then there is two tabs to hold in to seperate the switch and the rest of ignition
http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior_trim.htm#STEERING
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #23
Georgia_Jeep
2005 WK 

hey i have the dash light flickering issue but also sometimes my jeep wont start even tough the lights, radio and, ac all work if you add a little juice it starts dealer cant figure it out also my low tire light flashes for no reason dealer couldn't figure that one out either what do you guys think? i do know the clock spring is bad.
Georgia_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #24
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Probably the battery is going. The tire light flashes because of the cold.
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #25
Georgia_Jeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb05 View Post
Probably the battery is going. The tire light flashes because of the cold.
battery is new (replaced it when it started happening) and the tire light comes on all year round but thanks for the reply
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
Georgia_Jeep
2005 WK 

driving 2night my dash lights were flashing like crazy i think even my head lights were doing it I tried lowering the dimmer settings but it kept flashing. what do you guys think it will cost to repair the ignition switch and dimmer from the dealer?
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #27
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia_Jeep View Post
driving 2night my dash lights were flashing like crazy i think even my head lights were doing it I tried lowering the dimmer settings but it kept flashing. what do you guys think it will cost to repair the ignition switch and dimmer from the dealer?
I would start with the MFS (multi-function switch). You can easily replace it yourself. As someone stated above, it's a ten minute job. Depending on what options you have (fogs/auto-headlights) it costs between $50 and $120.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Georgia I would start with just the multimillion switch because its a quick easy thing to change. It only takes about 10-20 mins to change so the dealership shouldn't charge to much but you can easily save the labor by changing it yourself its only like 5 screws.

I was out of town one day and saw a Wk going down the road with its headlights blinking and said to my wife what the hell is that idiot doing. Then on my way back home mine started doing it I replaced the multifunction switch and it never happened again.
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #29
Georgia_Jeep
2005 WK 

ok thanks for the help it also is having another electrical issue i noticed after i posted, the air bag off light only comes on when someone sits in the front seat otherwise its off.
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #30
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia_Jeep View Post
ok thanks for the help it also is having another electrical issue i noticed after i posted, the air bag off light only comes on when someone sits in the front seat otherwise its off.
Not sure but I think passenger air bags are weight activated to keep them from going off with kids in the front seat.
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.