Dash Lights Flickering - Dimmer Problem on WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dash Lights Flickering - Dimmer Problem on WK

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 06-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Marc4885
2006 WK 

Dash Lights Flickering - Dimmer Problem on WK

I have seen a lot of posts in the ZJ & WJ Forum related to this type of problem but I can't seem to find anything for the WK.

I have a 2006 GC Laredo and the Instrument cluster lights up on the dash flicker constantly if the dimmer is set to anything higher than about halfway. When the dimmer is turned down low it does not flicker but then everything is barely lit up. The dealer has been worthless on offering a solution and because it is out of warranty wants a bunch of money to think about figuring it out.

This problem has been going on for months and It is driving me absolutely nuts. Has anybody else had this problem with their WK? And if so what is the fix?

Marc4885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
konarider94
2005 WK 

there is another newer thread a couple down that says somethign about christmas and they suggested replacing the ignition switch. check it out

2005 WK Limited 5.7L
245/75-17 goodyear silent armors
no lift, spacers, or cutting required
konarider94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Marc4885
2006 WK 

I have no issues with the exterior lights, and that problem seems a bit more severe than mine. My lights never go out they just flicker when the dimmer is set to a brighter setting. I saw that the older models had switches/modules that had known issues...still looking for responses here...thanks!
Marc4885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
05gldwkjp
2005 WK 

After a lot of reading, I have seen a lot of complaints about grand cherokee and commander owners having to replace their ignition switch for anything from dash lights flickering, to dash lights and exterior lights flickering, or their car cutting off during driving... Apparently they can cause a lot of electrical "gremlins" in a lot of newer cars.

So it may be worth it to look into.
05gldwkjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
robtre
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05gldwkjp View Post
After a lot of reading, I have seen a lot of complaints about grand cherokee and commander owners having to replace their ignition switch for anything from dash lights flickering, to dash lights and exterior lights flickering, or their car cutting off during driving... Apparently they can cause a lot of electrical "gremlins" in a lot of newer cars.

So it may be worth it to look into.
Old post ressurected! MY 2005 WK does this and the lights aroung the A/C cluster are completely out! Please bump for more info/help!
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
merlinTec

My rule is if the heater is also going off I replace the ignition switch, if it's just the dash light flicker I replace the stork.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
b0ogeyman
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
My rule is if the heater is also going off I replace the ignition switch, if it's just the dash light flicker I replace the stork.
Regards,
Merlin
That is interesting. I have the same exact problem on my 06 overland, the cluster and the nav unit flicker and dim whenever I have the setting on bright, but if i set it like half way down then it doesn't flicker anymore!

What you said Merlin about the heat is interesting because after that flickering issue got worse (it happens more frequently) i noticed that when i set my heat on AUTO the heat get directed everywhere but on my front dashboard vents, however if i turn the setting to the front vents they work just fine. If it's summer and i have my air conditioner on AUTO the cold air get distributed through all ( bottom, defrost, and front vents).

Do you think both problems related? and that changing my ignition switch could solve the problem?

Thanks.
b0ogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
merlinTec

Hi
No when I said heater I mean the blower motor itself.
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
b0ogeyman
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
No when I said heater I mean the blower motor itself.
oh ok thanks Merlin i suppose if the ignition switch isnt too expensive i prolly should give it a try it might fix it!
b0ogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
MRsandman1106
2005 WK 

Same issue on my '05 WK. The radio lights and dash lights started flickering about a month ago. At times when I would turn the dimmer light all the way on, the interior lights wouldn't come on at all. Not all the time, just sporadically. I checked out the forum and a week ago replaced the ignition switch. This cured the problem...until today- more radio light and dash light flickering, and the radio light will not stay on the highest setting, so it's very hard to see it whatsoever. I called the dealer a week ago before I purchased the switch and installed it on my own, and they stated it could be a bad cell in the battery, the ignition switch, or the dimmer switch. So I had the battery tested at Autozone for free. Battery is fine. That's when I decided to replace the ignition switch. Now I'm at a loss and wonder if it's even worth replacing the dimmer since I suspect that doing so may not even solve the problem. I think in general there are electrical issues with this model and year GC. I've already replaced the blower motor module 3X. If anyone has any updates, please advise. Thanks for any info.
MRsandman1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
merlinTec

I would replace the multi function switch like I said earlier.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

how hard of a job is it to do the multi fuction switch?Do you have to pull the air bag and or steering wheel?
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
MRsandman1106
2005 WK 

Looks like it's pretty involved, and yes, you do have to pull the steering wheel.
MRsandman1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach View Post
how hard of a job is it to do the multi fuction switch?Do you have to pull the air bag and or steering wheel?
Really easy. remove the under and lower shoud. Then 2 screws and slide the switch out. No air bag removal.
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

thank you for the reply. If mine gets worse i'll be changeing it out.
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.