Dash light flickering problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dash light flickering problem

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
slowurroll
2005 WK 

Dash light flickering problem

Hey guys. I wanted to see if anyone has ran into this before. So recently when my lights are on at night or whenever it's remotely dark enough for them to automatically turn on, I noticed that the dash lights tend to flicker. Headlights are just fine when they are on but it's all the dash lights. Including the stereo and hvac lights. Any thoughts?

2005 Silver WK 4.7L - Silver WK Club #33
slowurroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
hulikner
2008 WK 

First thing I'd do is check how your battery is holding up. I had a 05 wk that did that too but the headlights would also go out. Was pretty dangerous. After I changed my battery it didn't do it again. I'm not sure if it fixed it or not because it only did it like once a month.
hulikner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
slowurroll
2005 WK 

Hm. Well It's got roughly 86k on the clock and I am not aware of the battery ever being replaced. I have only had it the last bit over 2 years. So I guess it's possible that could be causing it.
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

If changing the dimmer setting changes the flickering in any way (temporarily fixes it, changes the rate, makes it worse), it's probably the turn signal stalk itself.
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
slowurroll
2005 WK 

Hm. Maybe it's worth checking that out to see if that's the problem. I have noticed when I turn off the auto setting or turn the dimmer down it seems to be less of a problem. It doesn't completely fix it but changes the rate of the flickering and makes it somewhat better. Do you know if there is a way to test it with a multimeter or continuity tester to find out if it's bad? I would think so but if it's an intermittent problem I don't know if I would be able to figure that out.
Unread 04-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Try hitting the turn signal switch inward. Like your pressing it into the steering wheel next time. If it works then it's the switch. I have the same problem.
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

Its been discussed before if the heater cuts out as well as the dash lights it could be ignition switch. If its the dash lights only tends to be the turn signal stalk.Easy to change there's like 2 torqs bits that holds the cover on steering column then like 3 bolts that holds stalk on then slides out about a 10 minute job no pulling steering wheel or air bag.
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
slowurroll
2005 WK 

Sounds like an easy enough fix if it is the turn signal stalk. I'll try to push it in the next time as suggested to see if that makes a difference. What do you mean by heater cuts out? Are you talking about the lights for the hvac controls? I read about the ignition switch possibility and it seems like people associate this with the headlights cutting out also. And the tach and speedo not functioning. Anyone have experience with this either? I have no problems with the headlights flickering or the tach or speedo not working. It's strictly the dash, radio, and hvac lights flicker when on.
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

If it were the ignition switch, then the entire dash lights and gauges would flash, as if you turned the key off and back to the "on" position. That happen more and more gradually until I replaced the switch then it never happened again. That was December 2012.
dieseljeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
slowurroll
2005 WK 

Doesn't seem to be the ignition switch then. It doesn't resembling turning the key off and back on again. I'll see if I can test the turn signal stalk to see if that's what it is as best I can. Then if that's it I'll look at buying the part. Thanks guys.
Unread 06-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
psmask01
2005 WK 

Sorry to beat a dead thread, but I am having this issue. 2005 wk laredo. Driving at night the radio lights will flicker and ocassionally then the dome cabin light too will start going off and on. I mess with the dimmer switch amd it stops. Was that what you replaced to fix it? How much was the part? thanks
psmask01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
slowurroll
2005 WK 

Mine ended up being the turn signal stalk. I haven't replaced it yet but when if flickers I push it in and it goes away for at least a few days if not more. Try that and if it works then that's likely your problem. I can't remember the cost but I know on eBay I could find the turn signal stalk for less than $100 easy.
Unread 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
AM5562

Yep, it's 99% likely to be your turn signal stalk. My '05 WK is doing it as well. Apparently, it is a weak point and known problem. I haven't replaced mine yet, as the OEM part is somewhat pricey. You can probably find a newish one on ebay or a junk yard, as suggested. For me, it's more of an annoyance, and usually I can just fiddle with the stalk a bit (try pushing it in?) to make it go away. If/when it's a constant problem, I will probably have to replace the stalk. Until them, I'm just living with it.

Hope that helps.
AM5562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #14
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

I replaced mine a few years ago I think it was $70. through the dealer I did get a supplier discount .It took under 10 minutes to change.Take out the screws under column that hold the cover remove it There is 2 or 3 screws in the stulk pull back to remove. Its that easy.
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.