Darned car washes, and stupid me! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Darned car washes, and stupid me!

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-23-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
LaurXK

Darned car washes, and stupid me!

I can't believe how dumb I can be. I didn't unscrew and remove the antenna on my XK at the car wash yesterday, and the darned washing-up thingy grabbed it and pulled... it bent it back so much that the Commander is affected... there's a dent and the paint is peeling back. I could literally cry from frustration, especially since I've only had it 2 months.

I wonder how much that's going to cost to fix? :

LaurXK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Andretti

Ouch, what a shame. Like a new carpet I guess it's just a matter of time for all of us.
P.S. I HAND washed ours Friday.
Carlos
Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
STUCKINMUD
2000 WJ 

That suxs, i can feel you pain a little, my power antenna on my old taurus got bent in a car wash and never went down again. 300 plus to get it fixed. Now I either hand wash both of mine or go thru a touchless system. There are 2 near me that work really well

2000 XJ - Sold 2006 XK - Sold
1996 cherokee blue - Hers 2006 rubicon - Sold
2001 XJ Limited - DD 2000 WJ - Project
STUCKINMUD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Man that sucks... I guess if the paint is peeling you can't go to the paintles dent removal guy either.

Word of wisdom though. Don't youse those car washes, especially not with a brand new car, they will ruin your paint. Even the touchless ones aren't safe since they usually recycle the dirty water and spray it back on your car (full of dirt and particles that will scratch your paint).
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
LaurXK

I'm set to get an estimate on the repair of it tomorrow. I'm cringing at the thought of getting body work done on a brand new car. My baby won't be a virgin anymore!
Unread 04-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Just wait until you scratch the side of it out wheelin. That little dent will just add character because, chicks dig body damage.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
SYCOHEMI

That is awful. I see those signs, but never paid attention. I did notice the antenna whipping around quite a bit last time I washed it...

Sorry to hear about it. Thanks for warning us.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:12 AM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about that! That would hurt! I've always been afraid of that, so I'm sure to remove the antenna.

I only take my Jeeps through a brushless wash once a year, to get the under side sprayed after winter. There's nothing like a good hand wash.

Let us know how much it's going to cost... $500? Good luck!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2006, 10:11 PM   #9
nhpso224

The wife would kill me if she knew I was telling this, but here goes. I've been telling her to be careful because the mirrors are wider than her Grand. Well, she goes through the car was and after it starts, she notices the washer was about to hit the drivers side mirror. She saves the mirror by letting the window down to pull the mirror in. Long story short, the Jeep is clean, INSIDE and out. And my wife has a fresh coat of wax.

'06 XK Commander, 4.7l, Crystal Inferno Red Pearl, Dark Gray 5 spokes, Slate Gray Leather intreior, Command view skylights
nhpso224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
XKShawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpso224
The wife would kill me if she knew I was telling this, but here goes. I've been telling her to be careful because the mirrors are wider than her Grand. Well, she goes through the car was and after it starts, she notices the washer was about to hit the drivers side mirror. She saves the mirror by letting the window down to pull the mirror in. Long story short, the Jeep is clean, INSIDE and out. And my wife has a fresh coat of wax.
That is a great story!

This past Tuesday I went out in the morning to go to work, and we had had a few thunderstorms the night before. When I got in the Jeep, I noticed drops on the dash - a lot of them. It took about a half second to sink in, but I then realized that there was water all over the dash, console, passenger seat. The cup holders had about a half inch of water in them, and that little slot in front of the shift knob was full of water. All the knobs and buttons had beads of water around them. My first thought was D*MN sunroof is leaking!!! Then I looked up and saw nothing but blue sky. Left the sunroof open the night before. Doh!

Anyway, I was sure that something would stop working, but all electronics seem to be functioning just fine. Not something I want to test again, though.
XKShawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
nafzimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKShawn
That is a great story!

This past Tuesday I went out in the morning to go to work, and we had had a few thunderstorms the night before. When I got in the Jeep, I noticed drops on the dash - a lot of them. It took about a half second to sink in, but I then realized that there was water all over the dash, console, passenger seat. The cup holders had about a half inch of water in them, and that little slot in front of the shift knob was full of water. All the knobs and buttons had beads of water around them. My first thought was D*MN sunroof is leaking!!! Then I looked up and saw nothing but blue sky. Left the sunroof open the night before. Doh!

Anyway, I was sure that something would stop working, but all electronics seem to be functioning just fine. Not something I want to test again, though.
I did the same thing! If the darn wipers can sense rain, why can't the same system close the sun roof???
Unread 04-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
Todd Abbott

At our local car wash you get out of your car while an attendent send's your car through driverless, my attendent decided not to close the door all the way, turning the drivers side of my new Jeep into an aquarium proving once again that with few exception car washes suck. T
Todd Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #13
LaurXK

It cost $290 to get the work done. The guy said this is the second one he's done! He thinks Commanders might be in more danger of actual body damage because the antenna is right there on the edge, and when the antenna is bend sideways at a great enough angle, the metal is just going to give.

So be careful! Take those antennas off if you're forced to do a car wash. I always do the one where the driver is required to go inside as well, but your guys at yours must be driving something other than junk, because they obviously care more if they take your antenna off for you. I never gave it a second thought. Now I'm gonna be unscrewing and screwing at the car wash every time!
Unread 05-02-2006, 07:58 AM   #14
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurXK
Now I'm gonna be unscrewing and screwing at the car wash every time!
Sounds kinky!!
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2006, 03:31 PM   #15
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpso224
Umm...wouldn't it have been easier to just let the mirror get knocked in by the washer...

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.