Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

"The Dark Knight" WK build

75K views 298 replies 52 participants last post by  HEMI426 
#1 · (Edited)
Page 12 is where it gets interesting after being dormant for 2-3 years

Current Pic:
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Window

I have a black 2010 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with a 3.7 V6. I've already done a few things to The Dark Knight, but there's a long road ahead, and I figured now would be a good time to start a build thread.

When I bought this car in September 2013, it had 54,000 miles and looked like this.

My first adds to "The Dark Knight" was some tint, a bug guard, and new wheels and tires. I got American Racing 18" Mainline black wheels and 255/55r18 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

At one point, I had Westin running boards, but ended up removing and selling them because I didn't like the look of running boards without a lift.

Then I added Trail Rated badges, a MOPAR sticker, and a Rola Roof Rack. The rack was really easy to assemble and install. The overall installation time was about 1 1/2 hours, and at least 30 minutes were spent just aligning it on the cross bars. It's extremely sturdy, and I'd recommend it for any WK.

Outdated mod list
Paracord grab handles, interior LED lighting, stubby antenna, bedlining lots
Mopar rubber mats + cargo
Removed rocker panels, bedlined underneath
Fog lights
Bluetooth double din radio
ORT Badge, American flag decals x3
Removed bug guard, front valence
Extended Rola low profile
Expanded sheet metal grill + radiator mod
Trunk lighting mod
Hypertech programmer
Modded OME lift
- Bilstein 5100s @ 0.75"
- Bilstein 5125s rear
- JBA UCAs
- Rusty's 2" rear poly spacer
General Grabber AT2 265/70r18
OEM hitch w/ d-ring (blue)
SA antenna mount + custom flag pole
4xGuard front Skid
4xGuard Matrix base w/ d-rings (blue)
Modded Stillen headlight trim
Pinch weld mod
SA Secure center console
SA rock sliders
Cold air intake
4.7 throttle body
Rusty's adjustable track bar
Reverse lights
Roof rack light bar
Tail light guards

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle registration plate
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
#5 ·
I thought I added them the first time, but I guess not! Are they there now?

That said, if you realllllllllllllllllllllly want to "Dark Knight" it up, you should look into getting the truck plastidipped in matte black.
I actually really like the stock jeep paint. When you clean it up really nice, you can see the quality of the paint job. And I kinda see the Dark Knight as a guy who is dark and all, but still flashy will all his cool gadgets and such :D

#3 ·
Rocky Road also sells modified UCA's for lifted Jeep WKs, and and are a bit cheaper, about $100 cheaper for the pair, they are also black vs JBA's red ones. I'm gonna try out the RRO ones when I get some more money.

http://www.rocky-road.com/wk-grand-cherokee-control-arm.html

That said, if you realllllllllllllllllllllly want to "Dark Knight" it up, you should look into getting the truck plastidipped in matte black.

Here is a video of a pickup truck who did it, they also do some light offroading to see if the dip will stand up to tree branches and stuff, as well as power washing afterwards.

#4 ·
Rocky Road also sells modified UCA's for lifted Jeep WKs, and and are a bit cheaper, about $100 cheaper for the pair, they are also black vs JBA's red ones. I'm gonna try out the RRO ones when I get some more money.

http://www.rocky-road.com/wk-grand-cherokee-control-arm.html

Here is a video of a pickup truck who did it, they also do some light offroading to see if the dip will stand up to tree branches and stuff, as well as power washing afterwards.

Check out Crawl-offroad.com the owner is a fellow wk'er and sells the rro even cheaper than rro themselves.

#8 · (Edited)
Plans for The Dark Knight's future:

- Bedline ugly plastic side covers
- Interior replacement LED's
- Mud/slush mats from dealer (already have cargo mat, might as well match)
- Gutter guard grill mod
- Bilstein 5100s front & rear w/ JBA upper A arms if needed
- 5 Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/70r18 + 1 American Racing Mainline black 18"
- Cargo net to hold spare down on roof rack
- Superchip tuner
- K&N cold air intake 57
- Mopar hitch receiver, bezel, & D ring hitch
- Front tow hooks
- OEM style fog Lights

#9 ·

Put the 13" antenna on, and it works better than the stock one. Bends very little on the highway.

I also added the "MOPAR" decal to the back. Only cost $8, and I could only find these letters at autozone. They're spaced out 10cm from center to center, top and bottom of the letters are 1.3cm from the horizontal edges of the handle, and the "P" is centered at 45cm from the vertical edges of the handle. The MOPAR sticker was put on at the same time as the roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I have big plans for this next month, hopefully my bank account approves!

Christmas Break To Do List
Definitely:
WK letters
Bedline under the side covers
Buy Smittybilt tow hooks
Install bluetooth radio
Gutter guard grill mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/jakewk-build-3198249/

Hopefully:
Buy Bilstein 5100's, 4x OME MD springs (from Kolak) & have installed

If I can find a buyer for my stock spare & current tires (Nitto Terra Grapplers 255/55r18 10k ish miles), then also Cooper Discoverer AT3 275/65r18's.

#12 ·

The lower plastic that is not painted same as the body paint as seen here. I'm pretty sure it's the plastic that other drivers trim for a different look. *not my WK*

And also the sides. *not my WK*

#163 ·
yea don't use plasti dip on the calipers. VHT has good reviews, POR-15 or a company called G2 (it's on amazon) would be good choices too.

Car looks great. just a heads up my buddy had one of those antennas and it snapped off and damaged the hood going through a car wash so be careful about that!

#19 ·
I got out of my 12 o'clock class early today, so I had some time to mess with the Dark Knight before my 2 o'clock.

First thing I did was measure my fog light holes and looked for the wiring to be there. The holes were 4" + a little, so I'm assuming they fit 4" fogs. I did find a wire secured that may be the fog light wiring, but I couldn't tell if it led to anything. I took a picture under the drivers side of the bumper. Anyone know which wire this is? (Blue clip)

Then I decided to wipe down my chrome since its been a while from the last wash. I either like her waxy clean, or covered in mud. She was neither. [emoji853]

While I was doing it, I though that plastidipping the Grand Cherokee letter in the side chrome (but not the whole side chrome) would look pretty cool (not sure if black or blue). Has anyone tried this?

#21 ·
Armor_LG, the plug in the first picture is the plug for the fogs...but if you use that then you'll need to purchase a new turn signal switch with fog light controls, get the required relay and take it to the stealership to have them program it so the switch works. Programming costs roughly $120.

#23 ·
Plus the fogs turn off when the hi-beams are engaged.

#29 ·
To go with what Sheepdog mentioned earlier about your plastic rails..
I did the same and just removed them, and bedlined the weld underneath. I think it looks a lot better, and the bedline will protect from corrosion a lot better than a cheap plastic skirt. It also makes your sides look a little higher, although it's hard to tell if any actual clearance is achieved. Gice it a try if you like! ;)

(cut from my thread): Today i felt inspired by some other builds, and decided to remove the cheap and fading plastic side skirts, and bedline the rails underneath.
First step was to remove the existing plastic skirts. They were held on by plastic clips on the bottom side, and slid outwards.
Next i cleaned with simple green and sanded down with a 140 grit sanding sponge, and wiped all the dust off.
Then tape it all up, i gave it three coats with about 2 min between coats. I learned the hard way that when you tape lines with bedliner, you have to remove the tape before it dries, or else the rubberized paint will peel up with the tape and bubble.
And viola! Looks way better IMO. Won't fade or crack on rocks, allow the side frame to drain properly without holding leaves and mud and contributing to corrosion, and gives maybe .5" of additional clearance on the sides.

Attachments

#30 ·
To go with what Sheepdog mentioned earlier about your plastic rails..

I did the same and just removed them, and bedlined the weld underneath. I think it looks a lot better, and the bedline will protect from corrosion a lot better than a cheap plastic skirt. It also makes your sides look a little higher, although it's hard to tell if any actual clearance is achieved. Gice it a try if you like! ;)

(cut from my thread): Today i felt inspired by some other builds, and decided to remove the cheap and fading plastic side skirts, and bedline the rails underneath.

First step was to remove the existing plastic skirts. They were held on by plastic clips on the bottom side, and slid outwards.

Next i cleaned with simple green and sanded down with a 140 grit sanding sponge, and wiped all the dust off.

Then tape it all up, i gave it three coats with about 2 min between coats. I learned the hard way that when you tape lines with bedliner, you have to remove the tape before it dries, or else the rubberized paint will peel up with the tape and bubble.

And viola! Looks way better IMO. Won't fade or crack on rocks, allow the side frame to drain properly without holding leaves and mud and contributing to corrosion, and gives maybe .5" of additional clearance on the sides.
What's the best way to remove the pins for this?

#32 ·
The pins were a real pain in the a**!! So I broke em all off [emoji23]. Bottom line is I got the plastic covers off and man does it look a lot better. Working on the second side now, and later I'll be applying bedliner.

#33 ·
The pins were a real pain in the a**!! So I broke em all off [emoji23]. Bottom line is I got the plastic covers off and man does it look a lot better. Working on the second side now, and tomorrow I'll be applying bedliner.

Heck yeah man! I just broke my clips off, committed to bedlining the rails and 6 mos later I still love them. When it snowed in CO and the roads were salted, I was really glad to have bedliner instead of plastic and exposed steel

#39 ·
Jake and Sheepdog, what did you guys use to cover up these 2 holes? (1 per side)

I just bedlined everything and left it the way it is. Although, I did buy some JB Weld with the plan to smooth it over the holes for a better look. But I decided not to, and have been pleased still. Dreaming of someday using those holes to fab up my own side rails ;)