Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

daily driver hitch

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  iere 
#1 ·
somy friend has a daily driver brand new commander and he is a city drive and his old liberty got killed from parallel parks he has arear hitch and wants to put somthing in the back no to expensive and one that doesnt stick out far so he can park and no one damages his bumper . anyone got any ideas what to put ? .pics . ebay. stores. any thing will help

#5 ·
cause its a daily driver he doesnt want a big metal bumper on the end all i was asking was for somthing that can get damaged instead of his bumper

#11 ·
I would say a huge metal spike but that might get deleted. I dont hate people who bump you when your parked.. or do I ??? Hummm..

I have seen a much smaller version of the picture above. At pepboys I think, its called a hitch step I think. Seems to have been about 18 inches wide, chrome with a black rubber/plastic step pad. Should do the trick. Be sure to get a locking hitch pin! I use a big trailer hitch in mine. Rear bumper is sort of rounded on the WK's so its right out there where everyone can see it (smile).

Yup.. here it is, took one quick google search to come up with it.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Hitches/go_rhino_tubular_hitch_step.htm

#12 ·
My personal opinion on those hitch steps is that they are easily bent and could wind up hitting your bumper if someone hits one end of it and bends it.

I tend to just leave the old hitch insert in the receiver but some places are passing laws on doing this because it prevents the 5mph bumpers from doing their job.

I would not leave a hook or something in it, kind of hard to explain away in the city.

But I am always moving my little trailer so having the hitch insert in the receiver is common for me.

As a joke a friend found me an old 10k lb rated 2 inch insert. It has a solid 2 inch bar and is made for the large 2 5/16 inch ball or whatever the next size up is. It is even slightly bent downward from the last owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.