CV axles, or inner tie rods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CV axles, or inner tie rods

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

CV axles, or inner tie rods

I have "the front end knock" and I'm not sure if its the CV axles or inner tie rods. At first I only noticed it when I was turning during acceleration, now I also get it when hard braking down hill. I'm starting to think its the CV axles over the inner tie rods. Anyone have any experience with the front end knock coming from the CV axles? BTW its a rather loud knock, if that makes a difference.

ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
LordEnki
2006 WK 

Raise your front end and wiggle your wheels side to side to check for play in tie rod ends, inner or outer.
Bad cv half shafts will click on sharp low speed turns.
245/65R17 BFG Rugged Trail T/A
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

I did the wheel wiggle and there was no play, i dont hear a click either. its a loud pop, its unpredictable, it doesnt happen every time during a accelerated turn or downhill stop. Maybe lca ball joints? It almost feels like something is slipping back in place
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
yzjwk
2005 WK 

sounds like sway bar bushings or links to me .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
kennymo

Mine makes this pop sound but only when i turn the wheel at a dead stop. next step for me is to get the front wheels off the ground and try it.
kennymo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
sounds like sway bar bushings or links to me .
The sway bar is disco'd right now and still makes the pop
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
yzjwk
2005 WK 

I just remembered ,when my inner tie rod was bad you could only see it if someone was turning the steering wheel while you looked at it . i don't think i could detect any movement in the tire .
There was something else i read on here about the rack and pinion making a simmilar noise esp on takeoff .bit of a stretch maybe.
you can check this thread out .http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...d-pop-1421373/
good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

I've tried the bolt thing, I cant get it to budge.
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Anyone else have a possible reason? I'm going to start with the inner tie rods for now, they aren't as price as the CV axles, and if that doesn't solve it maybe the Lca ball joints, then the CV axles.
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
LordEnki
2006 WK 

So you are just going to throw money at it? Why not just check if the rod ends are worn first, rather than replacing things until you get it right? How about taking it to an actual mechanic for diagnosis?
Good luck.
245/65R17 BFG Rugged Trail T/A
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.