CRD Weak points - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Weak points

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueLast Day to take advantage of 5% off August PromoThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

Unread 08-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Billmild

CRD Weak points

After reading all of the threads about the different mods and how they increase longevity with this engine.

What is the normal life of these engines without changing anything other than normal fluids and maintaining the engine? What are the most important mods to do? I would like to try a tune to see if that will help with mileage, power, and overall drive-ability.

Billmild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
Chirpz
2007 WK 

Huh? Weakpoints?

What year, make & model do you have?

I guess time will tell on how long they last. Mine is approaching 115,000 miles.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 05:27 AM   #3
mushkasdad
2008 WK 

Engine is rock solid, know of Sprinters with 400,000 miles.
Do your maintenance, and drive.
I currently have no mods and am at 106,000.
Once time allows resonator delete is top of list, mine drools a lot.
mushkasdad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Red_liner740

weak point? The Chrysler chassis its been put in and the idiot engineers who slapped it in.

Other than that, normal diesel things. DPF, EGR. Id say the only real OM642 specific issue would be the swirl valve motor. Most of the major "issues" are resolved with a DPF delete GDE dune. After that you just have the rest of the Jeep to contend with.

If you live in northern climates plan on having your fuel tank leak from above mentioned idiot engineers who thought putting a steel tank in a steel enclosure thats perfectly designed to trap moisture and dirt is a great solution. The same enclosure that is supposed to hold a plastic tank for the gas jeeps.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Clach
2006 WK 

The cost of parts, at least in the UK, is a big problem...not CRD specific. As noted, GDE is excellent and a must on a CRD and thus far well worth it for me.
Clach is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
mushkasdad
2008 WK 

I think Red is just being nice.
It's a great drivetrain in DODGE...............................
Unread 08-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Billmild

Why not buy the Mercedes if you don't like the Chrysler chassis?

On another note, I have read there are things that need to be done in order to keep this engine running a long time. Like deleting the EGR and DPF. Does that kind of stuff actually need to be done, or is more for performance?

On the subject of tunes, I talked with InMotion and their price seems really attractive, but most poeple have the GDE it seems. Is the InMotion a terrible? I know he won't delete emissions equipment, which GDE will. I am not so interested in that unless it makes a huge difference in longevity.
Unread 08-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
SSF556
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmild
Why not buy the Mercedes if you don't like the Chrysler chassis? On another note, I have read there are things that need to be done in order to keep this engine running a long time. Like deleting the EGR and DPF. Does that kind of stuff actually need to be done, or is more for performance? On the subject of tunes, I talked with InMotion and their price seems really attractive, but most poeple have the GDE it seems. Is the InMotion a terrible? I know he won't delete emissions equipment, which GDE will. I am not so interested in that unless it makes a huge difference in longevity.
Can you please advise us on where we can get a diesel powered suv with a 4lo system in America?....ML350 and Toureag are the only examples that I am aware of and having owned 4 ML350s over the last 6 years it is a higway cruiser and not an offroader....

does the inmotion delete the swirl motor?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
Red_liner740

Longetivity for sure. Its a diesel, none of my mods to the engine were done to increase performance.

EGR delete helps tremendously with gumming of the intake manifold. Exhaust in itself is a not a bad thing (it is), but mixed with oil vapors from the crankcase rebreather turns the soot into a tar like substance that overtime coats and restricts the airflow in the intake manifold.

Google ALH intake cleaning procedure to see just how bad the tar can get.

I havent noticed any different warm up times with the EGR disabled.

DPF removal is also for longetivity purpose. You are no longer dumping excess diesel in the combustion chamber in an effort to burn off the build up ash in the DPF. Excess diesel that makes its way past the rings into the oil, diluting it. Excessive temperatures that the turbo, cats, hell the whole engine, do not appreciate.

You can also stop running low ash specific oil, allowing a broader range of oils to be used at a reduced price. EGR delete will also keep your oil cleaner and longer lasting from lack of carbon introduction into the oil.

Lastly, from longetivity stand point i'd remove and clean the glow plugs or even replace them pre-emptively. Friends dad has an 08 as well with glow plug no.1 snapped due to never being removed in 200k km. We'll see what the bill for that removal will cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmild View Post
Why not buy the Mercedes if you don't like the Chrysler chassis?

On another note, I have read there are things that need to be done in order to keep this engine running a long time. Like deleting the EGR and DPF. Does that kind of stuff actually need to be done, or is more for performance?

On the subject of tunes, I talked with InMotion and their price seems really attractive, but most poeple have the GDE it seems. Is the InMotion a terrible? I know he won't delete emissions equipment, which GDE will. I am not so interested in that unless it makes a huge difference in longevity.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Can you please advise us on where we can get a diesel powered suv with a 4lo system in America?....ML350 and Toureag are the only examples that I am aware of and having owned 4 ML350s over the last 6 years it is a higway cruiser and not an offroader....
My initial vehicle search was for a small SUV that could tow my enclosed trailer, had 4WD and didn't suck down fuel. WK CRD fits that perfectly for me!
I haven't heard good things about the Touareg' reliability, so that was out.

I'd say the weak points are the fragile swirl motor system. The EGR delete is good for gunk reduction, but I wouldn't call it a weak point.
177,000+ miles!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
Billmild

Quote:

does the inmotion delete the swirl motor?
The inmotion does not delete the Swirl Motor. The swirl motor was replaced before I purchased the vehicle at the dealer I bought the car from. haha.
Unread 08-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
SSF556
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmild
The inmotion does not delete the Swirl Motor. The swirl motor was replaced before I purchased the vehicle at the dealer I bought the car from. haha.
That is cool...just becuase it has been repalced does not mean it will not go bad in the future....not sure I would take the chance....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
mushkasdad
2008 WK 

Reason for Jeep instead of Touareg or Mercedes.
On site this morning 4wd gmc stuck. Hooked up chain, 4lo, away we go.

Touareg very questionable service and reliability(own 2 other tdi's that are great)
Just not a Mercedes guy.

When my ship come in there will be a Cayenne diesel in the drive.....lol
Unread 08-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Chirpz
2007 WK 

Quote:
That is cool...just becuase it has been repalced does not mean it will not go bad in the future....not sure I would take the chance....
Since mine went bad at about 53,000 I think I would count on it.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #15
furiousbudy
2008 WK 

178k still running strong, dontworty about the engine, but all the rest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.