CRD Turbo Resonator Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Turbo Resonator Removal

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

CRD Turbo Resonator Removal

Sorry. I know this has been discussed at length here but I can't find any tutorials on the removal and "gutting" of the turbo resonator. I've searched the forum and just can't find it. Anyone have a step by step and tools required? I already have the star socket for the star bolts that are everywhere on this engine. Anything else required for this job other than patience? Thanks! By the way, I'm assuming that more air to the turbo means more and earlier spooling. Any possible long term negative effects of this mod to the turbo or engine? (that's assuming a responsible driver at the wheel with the patience to let the turbo cool down after hard driving)

Unread 07-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaspencer View Post
Sorry. I know this has been discussed at length here but I can't find any tutorials on the removal and "gutting" of the turbo resonator. I've searched the forum and just can't find it. Anyone have a step by step and tools required? I already have the star socket for the star bolts that are everywhere on this engine. Anything else required for this job other than patience? Thanks! By the way, I'm assuming that more air to the turbo means more and earlier spooling. Any possible long term negative effects of this mod to the turbo or engine? (that's assuming a responsible driver at the wheel with the patience to let the turbo cool down after hard driving)
I took mine off and replaced it with an air to air hose off a Cat 335 back hoe.I tried to find a after market hose with the proper inside diameter and angle of the bend in the hose to fit but couldn't.Noticed the size and bend on the Cat hoe I was servicing and measrured it and looked like it would work.Ordered one and cut it down to fit where the resonator was and it worked out great.Way less throttle delay now and fuel mileage went up around 2 miles per gallon.Cat part number is 190-5794.It has the perfect angle of bend in the elbow and is perfect inside diameter.I wish I could post pics so it would help others with this mod.Makes a huge performace differance at high way speeds for acceleration to pass and like I said before just about all turbo lag is gone after this mod.Been running this mod for around a year now and love it.I was hoping I would be able to hear the turbo spool up but no differance in engine noise.I drive a Kenworth with a Cat diesel and never get tired of listening to the turbo spooling up or the sound of it while rolling down the high way.I noticed the oil acumulated in the resonator after removing it,but there was no oil in the air to air hose after it.This was oil left over from before I unhooked the crank case vent about 3 months before I eliminated the resonator so I am thinking it is more of a trap for CCV oil than a noise suppreser.After taking the resonator off I opened it up and looked inside and it looked to me gutting it wouldn't make much differance in air flow becase of the shape of it and the sharp bends inside,and you would still have delay while it pressurises every time you accelerate because of the open space in it has to fill up with air.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Here's the write-up.

CRD, boost silencer delete
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |

Last edited by wookiee; 07-14-2013 at 07:19 PM..
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I don't think gutting it is the way to go for performance... like in that post. I think that it's going to cause more harm than good with the turbulance.

Way better with the 90 tube. I good test would be to see what cfm (cubic feet per minute) you can push through it.
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
fishinbama
2007 WK 

fatfreddy, you can post your pics at photobucket and link. I would love to see them.
fishinbama is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
fatfreddy, you can post your pics at photobucket and link. I would love to see them.
Pics would be good...also no luck trying to find the CAT part #.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

yea i cant find the CAT part # either
nor can i find what the "canister" piece is lol curious if us with the kidney can replace for the canister
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
yea i cant find the CAT part # either
nor can i find what the "canister" piece is lol curious if us with the kidney can replace for the canister
CAT Part # 190-5794
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
CAT Part # 190-5794
From what I understand the CAT air to air hose is ideal for replacing the "kidney" shaped turbo resonator. In 2009 after reading this post I went out to the Jeep and discovered I have the "canister" type resonator. Black, and about the size of a chunky soup can.

Question is, would the CAT part work for this canister type of resonator as well? Has anybody done this? Does anyone have a pic of this CAT part?

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
I will try to post image.Tried to crop it so this might not work,it'a fat file.
resless-002.jpg  
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
zc911

for you guys that did the mod with the CAT hose is it worth it, or dont bother?
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

^ thats what im trying to figure out...
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

"If it sounds good, it IS good!"
- Count Basie
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

If it made it sound better i would do it
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
Tinted tails
more to come....
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
CAT Part # 190-5794
Where did you get yours from? I've tried 2 online cat parts dealers and they say it's not available.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.