CRD tuning comparisons? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD tuning comparisons?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire CarrierBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
The_Admiral
2007 WK 

CRD tuning comparisons?

Seems like there are several different tuners on the market for the 07-08 WK CRD. Many here prefer the Eco Tune by Green Diesel whom I understand have excellent customer service. Has anyone here ever done or seen a comparison on the various tuners for the CRD? What about http://www.parleysdieselperformance....0l-crd-1110502?

The_Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

You can't really compare a GDE tune with a tuning chip. The tuning chip only modifies a few signals in the injection process to fool the computer into giving the Jeep more power. GDE actually modifies the engine control data to give you the best performance and efficiency. The tuning chip is a one size fits all kind of thing. It won't address any of the downsides to the 3.0 CRD engine. Where as the GDE tuning can be customized as much as you want and allows you to delete the components on this engine that are know to cause reliability issues.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
ggrassmid

tnadanzig; what about the differences between GDE and Custom Spooling? I see you have used both.
ggrassmid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

They are pretty similar tunes. There are some differences in them when you drive them back to back. It has been a while since each Jeep has been that close to each other in level of mods. This comparison is when the Jeeps were pretty much at the same level of modifications and both on ECO tunes. One thing that I do like about the GDE tune is the ability to tune out the swirl motor.
The GDE tune did seem to hit a little harder down low than the Custom Spooling tune, but once you got above 2500 RPM's or so they were pretty much equal. Throttle response was pretty much the same. Economy seemed pretty close, but the GDE tune in the 08 seemed a little bit better ~1 mpg. I do think the 08s and up are a tiny bit more aerodynamic. They both sound about the same, the tunes do add a tiny bit of diesel sound back into the engine compared to stock.
I have not compared hot tunes as I don't have one from GDE. My wife does not need the hot tune.
Custom Spooling you get both ECO and hot/performance tune together.
Overall they both make great tunes.
GDE tunes cost a little bit less than Custom Spooling. GDE is in the US so the shipping cost and transit time are better and its easier to call him as you don't have to deal with European time zones.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
The_Admiral
2007 WK 

Thanks Christian
Unread 01-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
White08crd

I have been using Nicks tunes (cummins-tunner) for almost 2 years with no issues. I have the economy tune and the hot tune. Also average around 22 mpg with everyday driving with the hot tune. Up to 28 on trips with the economy tune.
White08crd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #7
The_Admiral
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by White08crd View Post
I have been using Nicks tunes (cummins-tunner) for almost 2 years with no issues. I have the economy tune and the hot tune. Also average around 22 mpg with everyday driving with the hot tune. Up to 28 on trips with the economy tune.
Do u have a link for them? I'm still considering a tune despite the 137k mikes on my CRD.
Unread 01-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Red_liner740

What do you mean despite? Lots of CRD's here with higher mileage than yours that are sporting tunes, mine included.

If anything a tune is more beneficial as mileage accumulates.
DPF getting old and not cleaning out properly? New DPF from dealer, big $$$, no DPF GDE tune and a pipe = problem solved.

EGR acting up? New EGR, 700ish. GDE tune disables EGR.
Swirl valves acting up? I dont even know what the cost of that one is.
again GDE tune disables swirl valves.

The GDE tune basically bypasses or eliminates the major reliability issues with the CRD motor. If it could bypass or eliminate the turbo actuator acting up i'd be the next coming of Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Admiral View Post
Do u have a link for them? I'm still considering a tune despite the 137k mikes on my CRD.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #9
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740 View Post
What do you mean despite? Lots of CRD's here with higher mileage than yours that are sporting tunes, mine included.

The GDE tune basically bypasses or eliminates the major reliability issues with the CRD motor.
+1 I have 169k miles and the CRD runs better and gets better fuel economy than it did without the tune.
I wouldn't let high mileage stop you from installing a tune, unless the rest of the Jeep was falling apart and you weren't planning to keep it for very long.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 05:13 AM   #10
White08crd

Mine just turned 140000 yesterday. Paul@duramaxtuner.com
White08crd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #11
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Agree mileage should be much of a concern. We arent bumping power up 2x stock levels or anything. I'm at 128k and have been tuned by GDE since 62k.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #12
The_Admiral
2007 WK 

Great advice guys, thanks for your thoughts on tuning an "adolescent" CRD at 137kmiles...
Unread 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

yeah man you just got it broken in! time to celebrate - get tuned!
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.