CRD Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Transmission

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

CRD Transmission

With 75,000 miles on it, I'll be changing the trans fluid & filter.

Which trans is on the CRD? NAG1?

I need to know in order to buy the dipstick & filter.

Is there a torque converter drain like on the Sprinters?

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |

Last edited by wookiee; 02-25-2010 at 06:14 PM..
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
kreso
2010 WK 

Without scan tool there is no change. You have to know exact oil temp and to fill proper quantity. Without you can overfill and by overfilling you can damage the tranny.
kreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

I think I've read that this tranny is the same one that has been used in previous Benz products when they used a 5 speed auto (i.e. previous generation E, M classes)? It might be a good idea to have it done at a good independent Benz shop. On second thought, doesn't the SRT8 use the same tranny? If so, a Jeep dealer probably could handle it. What about one with a Sprinter franchise and trained techs?
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

My build sheet lists this transmission.
5-Spd Auto W5J400 Transmission
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreso View Post
Without scan tool there is no change. You have to know exact oil temp and to fill proper quantity. Without you can overfill and by overfilling you can damage the tranny.
My DashHawk will give the temp.
If I didn't have the DH, I'd just measure what drained out and put the same amount back in. As long as both were at the same temp.

I don't trust dealers and I trust trans shops even less.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
Unread 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post

I don't trust dealers and I trust trans shops even less.
No doubt. I feel the same way. But a Sprinter trained tech should be able to properly manage a correct tranny flush.
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVideo View Post
My build sheet lists this transmission.
5-Spd Auto W5J400 Transmission
Ahh, I forgot about those build sheets, I'll order one up tonight, thanks.

Here's the link, if anyone asks.

http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
suzieque
2008 WK 

this tsb may be of help, gives dipstick part number and readings at various temperatures.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101105a.pdf

let us know how it goes!
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
this tsb may be of help, gives dipstick part number and readings at various temperatures.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101105a.pdf

let us know how it goes!
Suzieque....for a normal tranny oil change I do not think we need to do the flush 3 times?
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Suzieque....for a normal tranny oil change I do not think we need to do the flush 3 times?
Correct, it says ...
Quote:
This bulletin involves thoroughly flushing the NAG1 (W5A580) transmission of any water
contamination
I was going to change the filter, then do a flush, but it seems wherever I read about it, the majority say flushing is not a good idea.

So, I will change the oil & filter at 75,000 miles then change the oil only each year for the next two years. Sounds simple enough.

Last edited by wookiee; 02-26-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

I will be doing mine soon. I am not waiting...doing it at 30k. I plan to measure what I take out, put that same amount of new back in, drive it with the DH connected, and then check the fluid to the correct level. Only way you should be low on fluid if you do not have a leak is if you had a bad factory fill.

CRD TURBO SEAL OIL LEAK FIX
WK CRD - EGR CLEANING WRITE-UP
MY FUEL ECONOMY DATABASE
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-blue-screen View Post
I will be doing mine soon. I am not waiting...doing it at 30k. I plan to measure what I take out, put that same amount of new back in, drive it with the DH connected, and then check the fluid to the correct level. Only way you should be low on fluid if you do not have a leak is if you had a bad factory fill.
I had mine done at 30k as well. The dealer did it. Unsure if they changed the filter. I will check tomorrow on the work order.

I will do it every 30k....Tranny is a weak point. Fresh fluid can only help.
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
justa4banger
2007 WK 

Hey wookie.... are you in a rush??? i have a tranny dipstick.... you can use if you want... and then mail it to me in Texas later on ...

let me know...

BTW the Dipstick i bought for a NAG1 off ebay for cheap (20.00 or so) will work, but it is a bit too long... i dunno why...but it works fine..

I might need ot consider changing my fluid i have a funny shift from 3rd to 4th, like it takes a momment for it to think and then shifts.. only happens at WOT.
Unread 02-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
Burtman88
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know i am just posting randomly in someones thread but check out these Pozers Get stuck exactly why i dont like hummers
Watch Double Hummer FAIL Video | Break.com
Burtman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #15
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa4banger View Post
Hey wookie.... are you in a rush??? i have a tranny dipstick.... you can use if you want... and then mail it to me in Texas later on ...

let me know...

BTW the Dipstick i bought for a NAG1 off ebay for cheap (20.00 or so) will work, but it is a bit too long... i dunno why...but it works fine..

I might need ot consider changing my fluid i have a funny shift from 3rd to 4th, like it takes a momment for it to think and then shifts.. only happens at WOT.
Even the dealer dipsticks are too long it's as they are. I also don't know why.
Wookiee just remember to have it in drive or reverse to get temp.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.