CRD swirl motor resistor ???? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD swirl motor resistor ????

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #106
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquache View Post
This displaces oxygen thus reducing the effiency of the burn. It allows the motor to run better if you're not injecting oil vapor
Is this the same for a diesel vs gas engine

Unread 09-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #107
Taquache
2007 WK 

Same, except most gasoline motors are naturally aspirated so in a diesel you're clogging a turbo and intercooler with gunk.
Taquache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #108
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Same, except most gasoline motors are naturally aspirated so in a diesel you're clogging a turbo and intercooler with gunk.
As you can see i cut out the part about the oil thru the intake track. More about the octane part, considering the difference between diesel and gas.
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #109
Taquache
2007 WK 

Right, it's still putting oil vapor back into the cylinder instead of air, thus decreasing the effiency of the gasoline burn.

All of this is an emissions control which while reducing emissions also reduces MPG causing more fuel to be burnt creating more emissions per tank... I don't know if it reduces the emissions enough to compensate for having to burn more fuel.
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #110
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Right, it's still putting oil vapor back into the cylinder instead of air, thus decreasing the effiency of the gasoline burn.

All of this is an emissions control which while reducing emissions also reduces MPG causing more fuel to be burnt creating more emissions per tank... I don't know if it reduces the emissions enough to compensate for having to burn more fuel.
You do know there is a big difference between gas and diesel right, hell a diesel has nothing to do with octane and can even run off thinned out oil.
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #111
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

The tiny amount of CCV vapors going into the engine vs actual air is so small that I don't think it's worth even worrying about. This engine uses about 8-10 lb/min of air during normal 60 mph cruise that the amount of oil vapor sucked in is less than 0.5%. I don't think you could even measure the effiency gain on removing CCV vapor. Environmental conditions would have ten times more of an impact. The worst thing with CCV vapor is it mixing with the egr and gumming up.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #112
Taquache
2007 WK 

LOL

Yes I know the differences. The burn factor is centane, diesel is also compression ignition rather than spark. None of this matters as we are talking about air when sending oil vapor back into the motor (gasious state not liquid)

You're asking about venting your crank back into the intake I said venting to the atmosphere is better on the motor because you're allowing 100% air through the intake instead of a reduced air volume due to the vapor displacing the air via a CCV in the intake.

Simple physics...
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #113
Taquache
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig View Post
The tiny amount of CCV vapors going into the engine vs actual air is so small that I don't think it's worth even worrying about. This engine uses about 8-10 lb/min of air during normal 60 mph cruise that the amount of oil vapor sucked in is less than 0.5%. I don't think you could even measure the effiency gain on removing CCV vapor. Environmental conditions would have ten times more of an impact. The worst thing with CCV vapor is it mixing with the egr and gumming up.
I agree with this 100%

Will you see big gains... Probably not. Is it healthier overall for the life of the motor, yes I'd say so.
Unread 09-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #114
potamo
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig View Post

The worst thing with CCV vapor is it mixing with the egr and gumming up.
Agreed. Then, the resistor mod is a good alternative to a costly repair :-)

Next thing to do (EHM) when the electrical problems plaguing my JGC are fixed.
potamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #115
Ciege
2007 WK 

Looking forward to when the plugs are available. CEL came on today, resistor burned out. Cheap carbon film resistor from Radio Shack.
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #116
Taquache
2007 WK 

Do you think it was a cheap resistor or part of the environment that caused the failure?

I could use a part number of the swirl motor or if anyone has an old one they replaced does it have a brand on it or anything, that would really help in finding the correct plug to make this mod from.

Thanks
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #117
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Can you get that part # or even a swirl motor from your local Jeep dealer in Texas?
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #118
Taquache
2007 WK 

I'll ask but electronics parts are non returnable and must be pre paid so that's a no go unless they have one on the shelf
Unread 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #119
Demeech
2008 WK 

Hey guys, my dealer today said my swirl valve needs to be replaced. So vague with information. Not sure if this mod would help solve the problem or if im really looking at 4000 bucks to fix this crap. Can anyone help me?
Demeech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #120
Taquache
2007 WK 

Yes this should fix your issue. Just by unplugging the swirl motor it should default to the open position and the resistor clears the CEL.

Can I get you to get the part number for the swirl motor from your dealer please. That will help me find the right connector to make these resistor plugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.