CRD swirl motor resistor ???? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD swirl motor resistor ????

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #31
heronbelei

Since I've bought this jeep I was wondering when the swirl motor problem would occur with me, and since then I was looking for a spare swirl motor over the internet.
Well, last friday swirl motor rested in peace.
After a long and slow driving weekend, I've installed the resistor today.
Well, till now, the resistor saved me about 2,500 brazilian bucks.
I bought 10 resistors and spent 0,20 cents each.
Car is running ok. Tomorrow I'll travel about 800km and I'll see how it will be.

heronbelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #32
waggoner5

Roughly 1 month later and the resistor mod is still working perfectly.
waggoner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #33
jediknight
2008 WK 

Just thought about something here... I think the resistor mod can also be applied to the EGR valve (rear right back corner of the engine when facing). Not sure how many ohms but it can surely be measures. Only probleme now is how to keep open the EGR throtle valve after all...

Every actuators can be bypassed with a resistor mod... Conditional to by a 3 wires actuator (ground, voltage suply and pwm signal)
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #34
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Some 300C guy's have been trying to do the resistor mod to the egr, but are getting a DTC for low egr flow. It runs fine, but you have a check engine light. You can read about it on the 300C forum. I want to do this resistor mod to the throttle valve so that restriction can be removed. Just need some time to weld up a throttle valve replacement pipe.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #35
jediknight
2008 WK 

... Or even better, I think EGR disabling can also be acheived by fooling the O2 sensor ... Simulating exhaust gaz are to low in O2 (to rich then it shouldl be) this way the ECU will request more O2 in the intake (closing egr valve and opening trottle valve)
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #36
zedtechus
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
Here's one on my WK. I used a spade (fork) connector and cut off one side of the fork and soldered the resistor to the connectors. Then I taped it and put a tie wrap on it to prevent the tape from coming loose due to the engine temps.

Could you please post another picture so I can have an idea where I could find the swirl connector? Just to be sure how many items I would have to remove before getting to that connector.

I have ~80.000KM with my jeep and all is good until now but this swirl motor replacement is scarring me !!! so I'm very excited to the idea of using a simple resistor bypass.

Thanks.
Unread 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #37
TangoTango
2008 WK 

In that picture it looks like he has remove the main engine plastic cover, then he has removed the cold-air intake tube that runs from the air-filter to the turbo, and that is it. Just the (2) parts.

You can see the connector inbetween the fuel filter and the turbo in the picture.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #38
zedtechus
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
In that picture it looks like he has remove the main engine plastic cover, then he has removed the cold-air intake tube that runs from the air-filter to the turbo, and that is it. Just the (2) parts.

You can see the connector inbetween the fuel filter and the turbo in the picture.
Thanks, that looks pretty easy.
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #39
Taquache
2007 WK 

Can this modification be done as preventative medicine? My CRD seems to be running properly as of now but if I can eliminate the possibility of a failure simply my wiring in the resistor I'd like to do so.

Also just so I understand the procedure is this:

Unplug
Insert resistor and fasten
Leave unplugged
Enjoy Jeep

Is the resistor to prevent a check engine light only or does it help prevent the limp mode? If it just the prevents the CEL has anyone driven around with just unplugging the motor and no resistor?
Taquache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
BAH101
2008 WK 

If I am not mistaken, (can't remember if this forum or another), there was mention that you could just unplug the swirl motor and it would go to full open. The Jeep would not be in limp mod, but would would still have a CEL.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #41
Taquache
2007 WK 

That's what I was thinking, so technically the resistor is a Sim like on DPF deletes for the cummins in order to "fool" the computer into thinking the parts are still attached and working properly.

Sweet! I might have to pick up some resistors this weekend
Unread 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #42
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquache View Post
Can this modification be done as preventative medicine? My CRD seems to be running properly as of now but if I can eliminate the possibility of a failure simply my wiring in the resistor I'd like to do so.

Also just so I understand the procedure is this:

Unplug
Insert resistor and fasten
Leave unplugged
Enjoy Jeep

Is the resistor to prevent a check engine light only or does it help prevent the limp mode? If it just the prevents the CEL has anyone driven around with just unplugging the motor and no resistor?
Yes, this mod can be done as preventative maintenance. My swirl motor was working properly when I installed the resistor. You are correct in your process. The Jeep will go into limp mode if left unplugged with no resistor.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #43
jaje
2007 WK 

Anyone have an extra resistor I can buy? Seems you can only buy it in bulk and only need one itself. I'd like to have this just in case as I use it to tow at least 2x a month.
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #44
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje
Anyone have an extra resistor I can buy? Seems you can only buy it in bulk and only need one itself. I'd like to have this just in case as I use it to tow at least 2x a month.
Where are you located, also, whats the smallest pack you can buy?
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #45
Taquache
2007 WK 

Would there be any interest in having a plug made for this? I have a buddy that makes SIMS for the EGR and DPF deletes on the 6.7 cummins. I can see if he will make plugs so that you essentially "cap" the harness end of things rather than just sticking the resistor in and taping it up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.