CRD swirl motor resistor ???? - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD swirl motor resistor ????

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #301
smokydiesel

Bought a used Chrysler R320 CDI 4matic. Bought it very cheap, check engine light was on (P2015), engine had NO POWER (transmission would only downshift manually), liftgate would not lock, battery kept dying, windshield is cracked, SRS light comes on if the seat belt is not in a latch (front passenger seat) and 120K on the clock. I had a 07 dodge sprinter before (dead at 13K miles, gone) but I just love those German diesels. Looking for solutions I came upon this thread. I found the resistor in my home alarm panel. 4.7K (extra in a bag). Plugged it into the swirl motor connector and taped it up. Changed fuel filter, engine filters, oil, and cabin filters while at it. Also replaced tailgate latch, battery (2 hour job). This Chrysler R320 CDI is back to being very powerfull and transmission is downshifting again too. What a wonderful machine it is, as if almost made in Germany. This post got me on the road saving 4K dollars the dealer was asking for to repair, not to mention 4K dollars saved because it was being loaded onto a dealer auction truck (saved it just in time) and when I have time will get the intake replaced, somewhere arounf 200K miles. Thank you all!!

smokydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #302
steann7167

swirl motor emulator

I got one of these swirl motor emulators and began to test after resetting my engine light almost instantly had another error code come up (p2008) which I have reset also as for performance seems hesitant on acceleration I am thinking that emulator is not the way to go I am looking to buy a new motor from Mercedes dealer as is cheaper than jeep dealer anyone agree / disagree any views welcome I also notice there is a snippet on this fault on Wikipedia personally I am tempted to report this on watchdog as this is not fun going into limp mode on a motorway due to their design flaw
steann7167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #303
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

A GDE tune will solve your issue at a more more reasonable price than dealer changing parts.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #304
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steann7167 View Post
I got one of these swirl motor emulators and began to test after resetting my engine light almost instantly had another error code come up (p2008) which I have reset also as for performance seems hesitant on acceleration I am thinking that emulator is not the way to go I am looking to buy a new motor from Mercedes dealer as is cheaper than jeep dealer anyone agree / disagree any views welcome I also notice there is a snippet on this fault on Wikipedia personally I am tempted to report this on watchdog as this is not fun going into limp mode on a motorway due to their design flaw
Hmm... if you are thinking about replacing your swirl motor I recommend you think again. It is a very difficult and fragile job. If you break your manifold linkage that connects to the swirl motor then you have to replace the manifolds. I have a step by step procedure for changing the swirl motor....but I recommend buying a GDE tune, or using the "resistor mod" instead. Then the swirl motor is no longer an issue.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #305
steann7167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Hmm... if you are thinking about replacing your swirl motor I recommend you think again. It is a very difficult and fragile job. If you break your manifold linkage that connects to the swirl motor then you have to replace the manifolds. I have a step by step procedure for changing the swirl motor....but I recommend buying a GDE tune, or using the "resistor mod" instead. Then the swirl motor is no longer an issue.
as I posted I have put one of these emulators (resistor) btu now getting hesitation and lots of smoke then new error code of p2008
steann7167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #306
The_Admiral
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquache View Post
Just so I have a count to give to my buddy lets start a list of user name and how many plugs you'd like.

1. Taquache - 2
2. donk 316 - 1
3. jediknight - 1
4. Tango Tango - 1+
What ever became of this idea? Was anyone ever able to make a weatherproof plug?
The_Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #307
C12H23

Extreme diesel performance
Carrys the plugs and resistor mod
I just picked up both, shipping was touch and
As with all online shopping. Parts arrived today.
No codes
C12H23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #308
bersh
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C12H23 View Post
Extreme diesel performance
Carrys the plugs and resistor mod
I just picked up both, shipping was touch and
As with all online shopping. Parts arrived today.
No codes
Kurt's price is a bit better on these - was $27 shipped for mine. I also ordered the aluminum plug while I was at it.
bersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #309
dfw

I ordered the swirl delete resistor plug from Kurt. I am inclined to carry it in my CRD uninstalled to be used if the swirl motor fails, rather than install the plug immediately.

Question: if I install the plug after swirl motor failure will the plug installation alone get the engine out of limp mode, or must the error code also be cleared? I don't have a scanner, so this is a pretty important clarification. Thanks!
dfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #310
C12H23

I have a obd2 and didn't have any codes,
I strongly believe in preventative maintenance.
I know it is a problem and will FAIL, so I wasn't about to wait for the inevitable
I did me fuel filter when I did the swirl motor delete.
Figured I was already in there.
- to answer your question, I believe you would have a code thrown and need to flash it.
( don't let fear or common sense get in the way )
Unread 05-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #311
smokydiesel

Just un update, my benz (chrysler) is running great with the free resistor in the plug. Swirl motor completely disconnected. About 6K miles so far. Engine ran great right after the resistor installed before and after code reset. Not sure if benz ecu is different from jeep. Few days ago the engine died on the highway. After 2 minutes restarted and drove 40 miles. No codes other than fuel pressure too low, from cranking and no start. After digging, replaced crankshaft pos sensor and still no problem. Old Sensor was made in 2008. 5 minutes to replace under the car, l/h side where trans mates to engine. Bought sensor at stealer 60$.
smokydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #312
PanzerVolk
2008 WK 

Had the swirl motor go in my CRD. Dealer quoted $7500 to repair........just walked out.
Does anyone know where I could pick up the plug in the Edmonton area?
PanzerVolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #313
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerVolk View Post
Had the swirl motor go in my CRD. Dealer quoted $7500 to repair........just walked out.
Does anyone know where I could pick up the plug in the Edmonton area?
As far as I know, you'll have to order the plug online from Extreme Diesel, BUT any local electronics shop will carry the 4.7K 1/2 watt resistor - cost is about $0.35 each. I bought 3 and carry them in my glove box until I need one. Pick some up locally and install the resistor onto the 2 centre holes in the swirl motor plug (4-pin plug, you want the resistor jumping the centre 2 connectors). Wrap it up good with electrical tape, clear the codes and go!

It'll hold at least until the plug arrives in the mail. If you decide not to order the plug, I'd maybe look at some heat-resistant tape/shielding to help protect the resistor longer term.

Hope this helps you get your Jeep back on the road quickly!
Unread 06-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #314
C12H23

Never had any codes after installing plug from XDP.
CERTIFIED RADIO WESTSIDE
17104-111 AVE, EDMONTON T5S 0A8
I picked up resistors there. 3 @ 5$?
Been a while. Probably cheaper?
Unread 06-29-2014, 10:29 PM   #315
C12H23

*** I did mine before it went so I never had codes to deal with.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.