CRD swirl motor resistor ???? - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD swirl motor resistor ????

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #271
Taquache
2007 WK 

Thanks everyone, this wouldn't have come around with out Kurt and Shibby Engineering. A big thanks to them for taking on this idea.

If I end up with another daily driver in the future I plan on tearing down and building this jeep to about 400hp or so. That will provide a lot of R&D for new parts

Taquache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #272
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just an update. The SMRP has been installed for a month now with no issues. I even took a 530miles trip towing my TJ on a trailer last weekend, no issues there also. The WK did great.

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #273
segona
2007 XK Commander 

I have just sent all the payments via Payal .

2 set of resistor and 2 set if plugs

Wish it could be here as soon as possible .

Thanks a lot ...
segona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #274
Taquache
2007 WK 

Mine is still working like a champ!! A lot of miles and no issues
Taquache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #275
Fasito
2007 WK 

Thanks to all you for sharing your knowledge. It seem's I've got the swirl motor problem in my 07 GC CRD but I'm not sure yet. Symptoms are loss of power (could drive back home at 55mph or so for 250 miles), ETC light flashing and yellow engine solid lit on the dashboard. Some oil on the plastic CRD engine cover. After removig the cover, it was a hose unplugged from its position, radial to the left, from the turbo inlet (please see attached image). Plug it in place but obviously, all the symptoms are still present. I'll visit the local Jeep dealer tomorrow but ?How you could positively be sure what the problem is? ?could be some EGR clogging problem too or instead? ?the swirl motor resistor is just as perfect as it seems (fouling the computer with the resistor and nothing else have to be done)? Thanks a lot again.
loosen-hose.jpg

Fasito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #276
Fasito
2007 WK 

Sorry, forgot to mention thet the picture is not from my car. I've copyied it from Chirpz's "Swirl Motor Replacement
for Dummies".
In my car there are more oil around (including the electric plug that is very close to the right side of the hose i vertical position).
Regards.
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #277
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasito
Thanks to all you for sharing your knowledge. It seem's I've got the swirl motor problem in my 07 GC CRD but I'm not sure yet. Symptoms are loss of power (could drive back home at 55mph or so for 250 miles), ETC light flashing and yellow engine solid lit on the dashboard. Some oil on the plastic CRD engine cover. After removig the cover, it was a hose unplugged from its position, radial to the left, from the turbo inlet (please see attached image). Plug it in place but obviously, all the symptoms are still present. I'll visit the local Jeep dealer tomorrow but ?How you could positively be sure what the problem is? ?could be some EGR clogging problem too or instead? ?the swirl motor resistor is just as perfect as it seems (fouling the computer with the resistor and nothing else have to be done)? Thanks a lot again.
Best way is with a code reader. This is the CCV return hose. I would also check for your engine oil level... Especialy if you've been runing with this hose unpluged for a while, you might have lost a few onces :\
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #278
Fasito
2007 WK 

Thanks Jediknight. I was near the oil change mileage. Checked the oil level, it was low so I added 0.75 litre to raise half the way between min and max level...
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #279
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasito
Thanks Jediknight. I was near the oil change mileage. Checked the oil level, it was low so I added 0.75 litre to raise half the way between min and max level...
There's the elephant hose mod which involve rerouting those ccv gases away from entering turbo inlet ... This way there's no possible oil leak from the intake rubber seal, which seems to be a plausible cause of swirl actuator failure.
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #280
Fasito
2007 WK 

This morning I've tried with the resistor and it seems to go OK. The ETC light went out right away. The swirl motor is very expensive down here (about 750u$ dollars + labor) and I shoul wait about 45 days for it. ?it safe for the motor keep that long the "deleted swirl motor"? It's adviceable to replace it anytime in the future. Thanks you all again.
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #281
TangoTango
2008 WK 

There is no need for the swirl motor, unless you want to get a very little better gas mileage at low idle speeds. You are better off buying the green diesel tune which is about $700 which will give you better mileage, more power and delete that swirl motor need for the resistor.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #282
Stuboy
2007 WK 

Ordered my plug last week and it arrived in the UK yesterday, Great service, thanks.
Stuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #283
Fasito
2007 WK 

I've drove two days so far with the resistor, city driving mainly and, the mpg seems to have decreased. Thanks for the advise on GDE. Do you have more data to share about it? (other than the available from their website). Regards.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #284
wkmb
2007 WK 

Well it's been 5 days since my crash course in P2015. I have just over 100,000 miles on my 07 WK Ltd CRD and as I drove from work in limp home mode, I too found out that my swirl motor had bitten the dust. Put the code scanner on it when I got home, and got the P2015 code. After reading up on this issue on Jeepforum I immediately contacted Kurt to get my hands on the resistor plug and the aluminum plug for good measure. Took my WK to Suburban Chrysler Jeep in Novi, MI and it took them over 2 days to diagnose what this forum, and this thread in particular, taught me in an hour. I decided to get them to diagnose to roll the dice on my just expired MaxCare 7 yr/100,000 mile extended warranty to see if Chrysler would still cover it, and was very pleasantly surprised to find out they would cover the repair. So I'll put my resistor plug in the glove-box for now. I also got them to order the updated intake with the black seal to hopefully avoid this design defect to re-appear in the form of oil dripping on the swirl motor. Although I was more than ready to bypass the swirl motor, I'll take the repair seeing how it is such a pain to do.

Are there any things I should be checking for once I get it returned? Obviously I want to make sure I have the updated intake with the black seal. I plan on getting underneath since I think I read that the transmission had to be disconnected so want to make sure that a mechanic that's never done a swirl motor replacement before, torqued the bell-housing bolts, the transmission mount bolts. Any thing else obvious I should be checking that others have run into?

Last edited by wkmb; 05-13-2013 at 08:30 PM..
wkmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #285
blenderman

Swirl flaps started sticking. Got them worked loose and stuck a resistor plug on. Problem solved. Looks good, simple and better than my tape hack job would have been.
blenderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.