Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CRD swirl motor resistor ????

304K views 428 replies 108 participants last post by  frosty5454 
#1 ·
Ok so i seen this on another thread and i didn't want to high jack it but it sounds interesting to me and I was wondering if anyone else has done it and what does it help with....also how do I hook it up and pics would be great to
And do I need a tune to put it on

I would also get a 4.7K ohm resistor for your swirl motor and you will have one bulletproof WK CRD.

The resistor is connected to the live and signal wires which are red/green and grey on the crd, these are actually the two center connections on the plug, and it is a four pin plug with three wires

#2 ·
That would be me who suggested installing a 4.7K ohm resistor in your swirl motor plug. I was told about this by a fellow member and read about it on the 300C forum. A bunch of guys in UK are doing this and having good results so I figured I would give it a try. I followed the instructions on the 300C forum; they have pictures as well, and have been running it for over a week with zero problems. You unplug the connector at the swirl motor and install a resistor between those two wires and it fools the computer in thinking the motor is still hooked up and working. The swirl valves default to open when the vehicle turns off. This mod keeps the valves open and no more swirl valve issues to worry about.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/eu...tor-cheap-replacement-solution-pennies-5.html

This way I have the ultimate CRD setup. No dpf, no egr, and now no swirl motor worries. This motor should last forever. Now I just need to install my methanol injection setup and clean out all the crap in the intake that accumulated before I deleted everything.

Some members have been talking about the GDE tune and how it disables the swirl motor. Well this is a way to get around purchasing that tune and still disable the swirl motor.

I was looking at the wiring diagram for the EGR throttle body and it should be the about the same setup. The throttle body necks down to about 2" with a butterfly valve. It's supposed to help with egr mixing and flow, but only really reduces flow. However, the biggest offender is the egr duct into the air charge pipe. It a huge restriction in the intake track to help the egr flow into the intake.

#3 ·
I am curious the legality of selling a connector for "Emergency Use Only"

One of my biggest fears is being a thousand miles away with the family and travel trailer in tow and having the swril motor go out and truck fall into limp mode while being out in the middle of nowhere. Think if nothing else will make a connector with instructions and soldered to spades and kept in the glove box for when it does happen.

#16 ·
I am curious the legality of selling a connector for "Emergency Use Only"

One of my biggest fears is being a thousand miles away with the family and travel trailer in tow and having the swril motor go out and truck fall into limp mode while being out in the middle of nowhere. Think if nothing else will make a connector with instructions and soldered to spades and kept in the glove box for when it does happen.
yup, would be good to have a resistor sitting in the glove box with whatever other hand tools are needed to do the install just in case of a failure, you can make it home. :)

#6 ·
I will try to get some pictures of my install, but its pretty much the exact same as in the 300C forum. I don't think it would be illegal to sell a connector but I don't see why you would need one. Those companies market as off road only. However, I wouldn't have something like this stored in my glove box. I am running the resistor mod at the moment and I don't ever plan to take it off. If anything I plan to remove the swirl valves from the intake manifolds once I get the time to pull them.

#10 ·
TurboDiesel, I will try to get some pictures probably not till this weekend. We are trying to sell our house so I don’t have much time lately. I will post them as soon as I get them, but it looks just like what they did on the 300C forum.

I know it is working because the plug is no longer connected to the swirl motor. I installed the resistor between the two wires and no DTCs. It didn’t take that long ~ 30 min, but the hardest part was getting the plug out, and then taping the resistor to the plug. I have AutoEnginuity to check and all good. I got my resistor from digikey, but had it for some time in my tool box. I play with some electronics stuff and I luckily had some of the right flavor.

Terrasmak, yes, you leave the plug off and just jumper two wires with the resistor and tape it up.

I would like to come up with a cleaner more permanent solution. I am not sure what I would like to do, maybe cut the plug off and solder the resistor between the wire and heat shrink or find the opposite connector and make my own device. Not sure, but this will work for now.

#14 ·
TurboDiesel, I will try to get some pictures probably not till this weekend. We are trying to sell our house so I don't have much time lately. I will post them as soon as I get them, but it looks just like what they did on the 300C forum.

I know it is working because the plug is no longer connected to the swirl motor. I installed the resistor between the two wires and no DTCs. It didn't take that long ~ 30 min, but the hardest part was getting the plug out, and then taping the resistor to the plug. I have AutoEnginuity to check and all good. I got my resistor from digikey, but had it for some time in my tool box. I play with some electronics stuff and I luckily had some of the right flavor.

Terrasmak, yes, you leave the plug off and just jumper two wires with the resistor and tape it up.

I would like to come up with a cleaner more permanent solution. I am not sure what I would like to do, maybe cut the plug off and solder the resistor between the wire and heat shrink or find the opposite connector and make my own device. Not sure, but this will work for now.
awesome thanks for the info
thats not bad at all...once u find the right wires....u can buy 100 resistors off ebay for less than $2 shipped lol...i may see what i can find locally.

did u just tape the **** outta it with electrical tape? or what tape did u use?

#11 ·
If you can find a number on the plug, there is a good chance of finding the manufacturer on the Internet.

#18 ·
#22 ·
Here's one on my WK. I used a spade (fork) connector and cut off one side of the fork and soldered the resistor to the connectors. Then I taped it and put a tie wrap on it to prevent the tape from coming loose due to the engine temps.

#36 ·
Could you please post another picture so I can have an idea where I could find the swirl connector? Just to be sure how many items I would have to remove before getting to that connector.

I have ~80.000KM with my jeep and all is good until now but this swirl motor replacement is scarring me !!! so I'm very excited to the idea of using a simple resistor bypass.

Thanks.

#28 ·
I put 700 miles on it today, passed 10 vehicles, after a road works stoppage, at a sustained 100 mph and noticed no difference. Rough calc of mpg is same as before. Will put a calculator to it later. It did a regen at the usual 750 miles period.

#24 ·
Well, our 2008 GC is three months out of warranty and while my wife was driving to work, we got the dreaded P2015 code and the jeep is in limp mode. I have the new black seal as well as the Racor filter but after removing the turbo inlet duct, I see that there was still some oil leaking above the swirl motor. I'm going to buy the resistor tomorrow and hopefully it will work and get the jeep operational again.

#26 ·
Came across this document on how the Mercedes swirl motor functions. The Mercedes forum I found this on indicates that there should be no noticable difference in performance on whether the swirl flaps are open or closed. The Mercedes forum also indicated that using the resistor will fool the ecu into thinking that the motor is still connected. Since the swirl motor is disconnected, no fault codes can be generated so all should work as expected.
http://www.ms-motor-service.de/ximages/pg_si_0071_en_web.pdf

#30 ·
Just put 2,600 miles on it with the first two stops exactly the same as a month pre-resistor ago. Last month I didn't use the a/c, this trip it was on all the time. Drove just as hard and got 1 mpg better over 800 miles, so not statistically better, but definitely not worse. And it does seem to have better get up & go. Don't know why, don't care!

#31 ·
Since I've bought this jeep I was wondering when the swirl motor problem would occur with me, and since then I was looking for a spare swirl motor over the internet.
Well, last friday swirl motor rested in peace.
After a long and slow driving weekend, I've installed the resistor today.
Well, till now, the resistor saved me about 2,500 brazilian bucks.
I bought 10 resistors and spent 0,20 cents each.
Car is running ok. Tomorrow I'll travel about 800km and I'll see how it will be.

#33 ·
Just thought about something here... I think the resistor mod can also be applied to the EGR valve (rear right back corner of the engine when facing). Not sure how many ohms but it can surely be measures. Only probleme now is how to keep open the EGR throtle valve after all...

Every actuators can be bypassed with a resistor mod... Conditional to by a 3 wires actuator (ground, voltage suply and pwm signal)

#34 ·
Some 300C guy's have been trying to do the resistor mod to the egr, but are getting a DTC for low egr flow. It runs fine, but you have a check engine light. You can read about it on the 300C forum. I want to do this resistor mod to the throttle valve so that restriction can be removed. Just need some time to weld up a throttle valve replacement pipe.