CRD spare parts to stock? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
SteveROntario

CRD spare parts to stock?

Hi all,
I drive up to 600 miles a week and I am looking to buy a 2008 CRD Overland and was wondering what kind of spare parts I would want to keep squirreled away. If I buy a CRD Overland it will have fairly high miles (260,000 km / 162,000 miles) so I want to be realistic and plan for some breakdowns.
From my research I was thinking the following?
  • glow plug module
  • a couple glow plugs
  • turbo actuator, do these fail fast or degrade slowly?
  • gas tank!? I've never owned a Dodge with a steel tank...
  • drive shaft? how long do these normally last?
  • front and rear wheel bearing
The reason I would need spare parts is because I can only work on my vehicles on the weekend and RockAuto takes about 2 weeks to get parts to my place. If I don't have the part on hand I end up dumping the vehicle at the garage for the week and driving one of my other vehicles...one being a camper and the other being our Sunday car.

The Jeep will be safetied in Ontario so everything will be good to go initially, I would just need to keep parts around that would degrade rapidly and prevent me from attempting a 600 mile round trip. Sudden steering pump failures and collapsed wheel bearings have done this to my current vehicle.

Thanks, Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 09:33 AM
moonvan
2008 WK 

I wouldn't say the turbo actuator is a super common issue but I guess its better to be safe if you really want to. The tank you could just pull and inspect at first. there is a write up on here somewhere about pulling the skid plate under it and enlarging the drain holes which should help. You could also seal it up with some epoxy or bedliner as well to help it last longer. Front differential bushings might be a good thing to have. If you are driving a lot you should consider the GDE tune. It will get you better fuel economy and power, plus disable the EGR and swirl pump which are known to give issues. Just a few thoughts.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 03:16 PM
WK-CRD
2008 WK 

If you change your glow plugs use a multimeter to find the best 1 or 2 with the lowest resistance and keep those as spares. It would get you by if one goes out until you can buy new ones.

Be sure to carry a spare quart or 2 of the 229.51 spec oil. It's nearly impossible to find if you're on the road.

A resistor or the plug and play bypass with a resistor http://www.xtremediesel.com/shibbyen...orsimplug.aspx

2008 WK CRD
Limited 4x4
QD2

post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Red_liner740

Green Diesel Engineering would be my no1 thing i would do for reliability. It gets rid of the EGR and swirl valve issues. Secondly i would delete the DPF and run Rotella oil. This means finding 229.51 oil is no longer an issue.

I would keep a spare MAP sensor, spare exhaust back pressure sensor, spare glow plugs, spare water pump, spare fuel filter.

Glow plug and glow plug modules will not strand you....it just means you will have to keep the CRD plugged in during winter. Same with the turbo actuator, back pressure sensor, etc. The Jeep goes in limp mode but you can keep driving it.

Keep spare fuel return line size rubber hose and T fittings. Three times now i've had fuel leaks from the return system.

Drop the fuel tank and inspect it. Clean it, grind off the rust, neutralize rust with a chemical and bedline it, put it back....

Inspect your alternator and oil cap. the alternator is right under the oil fill cap and oil spilling on the alternator is a known killer! if it looks clean and not saturated with oil, go ahead and buy an oil shield, remember that the oil cap only seals properly one way and you should be good to go.

The Jeep in the 3 years ive had it and 120k km i put on it has never really stranded me even once, but it is a Chrysler and as such will constantly need something or other fixed.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

If the serpentine belt is older I'd get 2 of those as well (put one on, keep the other as a spare) and 1 idler pulley if they're currently in good shape. The pulley on the tensioner isn't listed separately but it is removable and I believe the same pulley as the idlers if yours ever starts making noise.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ
post #6 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
SteveROntario

Thank you guys, that is not too bad. My 1992 VW Golf diesel was OK with 1 dead glow plug during the winter but I don't recall if it would start while just being plugged in. It has always been my philosophy that it's better to be stranded at home than being stranded at work so I never plugged it in.

I've done some reading about why people have had to replace the wiring harnesses and that is a scary one. I will definitely give the battery tray and PCM area a good look before buying a vehicle. I wouldn't do any mods until the Spring as I'd want to make sure the Jeep was a good one before spending additional cash on it. I also need to determine if there are any implications on the smog test we do in Ontario.

I guess my biggest problem with looking at these vehicles is determining what trim level they are. It seems that you can take a Limited and build it into an Overland with the Options? Is that correct? I would like one with the wood bezels, Quadra-Drive II, and the navigation system with the hard drive but I haven't figured out what trim level that is exactly...

Cheers, Steve
post #7 of 9 Old 09-18-2017, 06:04 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

From what I know the only way to tell is to look at a given vehicle. I have a Laredo with (I believe) every option that was available, for whatever reason.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ
post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 AM
kf4zht
2007 WK 

After owning mine for a couple years now, and I used to drive 80 miles a day. Here is what I found

GPs are fairly reliable, but cheap enough to keep spares. Make sure the PN, there are 2 different voltages for this engine

The stupid GP controller is a headache. Get a spare, and get a real one, not the dorman. Unlike a normal diesel where you could jump the solenoid if it failed, once the GP controller dies you are screwed in cold weather. Fortunatly its an easy swap and small

Keep a spare fuel filter. Mine got clogged after some bad diesel on a trip and it was a dog

The turbo actuator (mine just failed) - not a no run part. When it fails it usually does so intermittently and you can drive with it failed, the jeep will just be a dog. Given the cost, I would skip a spare and just pay overnight shipping if needed

I swapped front and rear hubs and a front axle shaft a while back. The old ones went back in the boxes and go with me on wheeling trips.

Keep spare ABS sensors, they seem to go bad far too often and are cheap

I've seen posts on FB that you can swap the poly gasoline tank into the same spot on the CRD by changing the fittings. I have a parts jeep and will be attempting this soon. If that doesn't work I plan on bedlining the old tank and adding drain holes.

Do the DPF delete (either with a pipe or just bust out the element) and GDE tune. Then you dont need the fancy oil, Rotella t6 meets the base engine specs and is readily available

If you have QD2, I would pick up a bluedriver obd. Its the cheapest thing I have found that will clear the FDCM codes and get you 4lo when the computer goes all wonky. I just keep mine in the jeep at all times
post #9 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Red_liner740

No emission issues. I'm just north of Toronto and twice now i've passed the OBD2 test with no issues with a DPF delete GDE tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
Thank you guys, that is not too bad. My 1992 VW Golf diesel was OK with 1 dead glow plug during the winter but I don't recall if it would start while just being plugged in. It has always been my philosophy that it's better to be stranded at home than being stranded at work so I never plugged it in.

I've done some reading about why people have had to replace the wiring harnesses and that is a scary one. I will definitely give the battery tray and PCM area a good look before buying a vehicle. I wouldn't do any mods until the Spring as I'd want to make sure the Jeep was a good one before spending additional cash on it. I also need to determine if there are any implications on the smog test we do in Ontario.

I guess my biggest problem with looking at these vehicles is determining what trim level they are. It seems that you can take a Limited and build it into an Overland with the Options? Is that correct? I would like one with the wood bezels, Quadra-Drive II, and the navigation system with the hard drive but I haven't figured out what trim level that is exactly...

Cheers, Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.