CRD: Slight hesitation on higway, CPS or EGR - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD: Slight hesitation on higway, CPS or EGR

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Red_liner740

CRD: Slight hesitation on higway, CPS or EGR

So yesterday on my way home driving 60mph on the highway i started to feel an intermittent hesitation. Very, very slight. A passenger wouldnt even notice it.

It feels exactly when a gust of wind hits your truck and it slows down a bit.

This morning, driving to work, same thing. except that it did it basically the entire 15 min highway ride. A hesitation every few seconds.

Doesnt do it at ALL in city traffic, accelerating, WOT redline pulls, every other time it runs fine. Doesnst stall. It only does it steady cruising on the highway

Only other time i've experienced anything similar is when moving cars around in the driveway, once or twice it had a slight stumble when giving it a bit of gas. I attributed it to a cold engine as its been averaging -15C for last month+.

No CEL's or any other warnings.

So doing research, its attributed to different things.
One is bad fuel, but i put 600 km on this tank of gas with no issues and i get my gas from this same station all the time.
Fuel filter was replaced 15,000 km ago when i got the truck in November.

So i'm trying to narrow it down.

Crank Position sensor may be it. but it should show the symptoms in other driving conditions as well.

EGR. This is where i'm confused as i have an Eco Tune from GDE and it should have disabled the EGR no??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and i'm sure this is just a coincidence, but i fully snapped my valve stem on my front right wheel and had to put my spare wheel on. Now i have the flashing TPMS light.

Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Red_liner740

RESOLVED:

Now this may sound as weird as ****, but it does sorta make sense.

Turns out it was the spare tire...

I took the truck to a tire shop, replaced the valve stem on the messed up tire and put it back on the truck, drove out and the hesitation is gone... I drove it 60 km since then without a single hickup in the same driving conditions as before.

My hypothesis is that the rolling diameter of the spare was different than the other tires and that was throwing traction control into a fit. The light on the dash wasnt flashing but it def felt as if though the power was being cut the way TC would cut power.

My OBD reader showed steady throttle input during the hesitations and the fuel pressure would drop by several hundred PSI.

First hint was when joining the highway this morning and taking a long curve with no snow, ice or moisture had my TC light flash once. Weird.

Anywho, thought i'd report back.
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
Red_liner740

Just to add: No issues this mornings drive...

RE: EGR. I spoke with Keith from GDE and he confirmed that EGR is fully disabled with his tunes. The exhaust valve stays closed and the intake valve remains fully open.

Chalk up another point to GDE Tune. If you have an acting up EGR, the Tune will get rid of it.
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
suzieque
2008 WK 

all wheels have to be the same diameter. even mixing different brands of tires that are supposedly the same dimensions can trigger problems with the transmission because the PCM is sensing different wheel speeds.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
jediknight
2008 WK 

I felt something like that a while ago and it ended up being the crank sensor becoming faulty. Changed it once it has finaly thrown a code and It seems to run fine since then.
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Sizzlenut

It would be fantastic if you could put your spare back on to make it happen again. Then hold the traction control button down for 15 seconds or whatever to fully turn it off to see if it clears it. That would definitely be confirmation.
Sizzlenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
chrali
2006 XK Commander 

My tyres are all over the place wear wise and one is even 10 mm narrow than it should be. On occasion I get exactly the same sensation and turn off the tcs to continue without the annoying sensation, especially on pot holed bumpy roads. I use the single press not the 15 second one. Mostly down to the un-rotated spare being full tread and now on due to puncture and the rest being nearly done.
chrali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.