Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CRD resale value went up.

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  chadhargis 
#1 ·
Have you noticed, that all these 4x2 "contaminated fuel" CRD's are now sold off, no more new CRD's are produced, so used 08 CRD value is up around $3K.
I am still thinking of selling mine, have some interest from my buddies overseas, however even locally these starting to bring $26-$28K.

I'll probably wait for nice 07 Touareg V10 with Nav to hit the market somewhere near. I hear fantastic reviews about these 550ft/lb of torque monsters.

#2 ·
Talk to a few VW techs at indy shops before you buy one. They are absurdly expensive. Interior space feels like it is worse than the GC CRD though headroom for front passengers is better I believe. Like all VWs, the interiors do not wear well-cheap paint on center console, dash, door panels, etc. And like the GC, interior fit and finish is fair at best. I'm sure the engine is well engineered as most VW diesels are, but I can only imagine the difficulty and cost of servicing that huge engine in that tiny engine bay... Shoe horned in even worse than the CRD I imagine. I don't like the seats and the housing for the front seats is very intrusive to front foot space. You're right, with diesel prices down, I've watched wholesale and retail prices for anything diesel on the rise(I closely follow and work in the wholesale automotive industry). Probably a good time to sell if you're thinking about it. Chrysler's current state does not seem to have affected prices of their product much if you can believe it.

#3 ·
The main reason I got CRD was the fact that they are rare and 40% Mercedes. I absolutely love some things about it, but can not stand that dumb, ancient transmission with its bumps and jerks, on top of unreasonably low gear ratios, that drive fuel economy down. So I think now, that I got 20K miles and she is on top of her game, maybe it is time to sell and even get some positive equity out :shhh:

Thank you BTW for a very professional market assessment above.

#4 ·
Yea i noticed that Values went up. I feel fortunate i got mine at what i consider a steal. Bummer is i looked for one for my mom (shes loves the GC CRD) and well there just aren't any more super steals.

oh well i got mine lol

I hope the value maintains later down the road....

#5 ·
I dropped by the independent garage I go to for my wife's Jetta this morning and was talking with them about the Toureg with 3L diesel (which has positive reviews here in Canada except for the pricing, a $4K option, and limited availability).

The basic thing to be concerned with these VW's are the electricals. Of course no car is perfect and the Jeep's apparently have had their fair share although mine has had zero issues after 1 year & 22k miles.

I would love to test the difference between the old V10 diesel and new V6 diesel Touregs and have always had a liking for the interior and exterior designs. The price is still a bit steep for me. Perhaps I will still see about going for a test drive one of these days for the fun of it.:cheers2:

#6 ·
I just bought my GC CRD....a 2008 brand new, never titled. Paid $22,900 for it. I know where I can find two others for near that price. Again, brand new.

If these things are worth $26k used, then I need to go buy the other two, but some miles on them, and turn a profit. LOL! :)

#7 ·
Mish,

About the gear ratios on the CRD. If your main complaint is the RPM at highway speed, I've owned 2 MB diesels-1995 E300d (non-turbo 4 speed auto, w124 chassis) and a 1997 E300d (non-turbo 5 speed auto, w210 chassis) and they both ran at the exact same RPM at 80mph as my new CRD-3,100rpm. This can't be a coincidence. Do you think fuel economy would be greatly improved with a taller 5th gear or a 6th added? I'm not sure that it would. For what it's worth, I think this is a time tested tranny that should be good for several hundred thousand miles. As for how it shifts/drives-it drives almost exactly as my Benzes did-just with a lot more on tap when I really need it. I would be interested to hear of a tech's opinion of the Toureg V10Tdi and your impression of how it drives. I'm sure it's impressive.

#9 ·
Bingo, 7 speed from GL320CDi would be perfect, it would run at 2100rpm at 80, doing 27mpg :thumbsup:

I read about 2005+ V10TDi at Touareg forums and people absolutely love them. 0 belts in the engine bay, very minimal maintenance and neck snapping power. They claim that they get 19/25mpg solid.

I am thinking that I will most likely end up with some intermediate Touareg, possibly 07 4.2l, with 40 valve engine for now, but in 6-12 month will resume my hunt for 07-08 V10, when they drop down, close to $30K

I too got a super-duper deal on my 08 LTD 4x4 CRD, $32.9 and it was brand new, with no fuel stories.
Right now, I do not see anything comparable to it for less than $28K, so that depreciation on 20K miles I can easily eat.

#19 ·
I have to call this video a fake. If you look at the engines on a 747 they do not look like the ones in the movie. On a 747 the engines are in seprate pods, in the video both engines are in a single pod.

what a real 747 looks like

edit: upon searching a bit the one in the video was used in 007, and the engine pods are mock ups. I doubt it actually flies.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rev=/images?q=747+engine+pod&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

#10 ·
True on the deal.

I have a 2wd Laredo, and the $22,900 figure seemed like a steal to me. I got out the door for less than $25k.

I don't see anything out there, gas or diesel (especially a Mercedes powered diesel) that can come close to it.

#11 ·
Sounds like we all bought a CRD for the same reasons. Jeep styling, Benz T/D engineering and performance for 1/3 of the price of an ML or GL Benz. I love mine. Over the first 1000 miles I'm averaging 22.5 mpg with 60%highway/40%city driving. And hopefully it will only improve.

#12 ·
I mainly got this truck for a diesel......... end of story.

I wanted a good towing machine for my other toy and now i have it.

I do wish SOMETIMES i had 4wd, but honestly i can live without it. i am thinking of swapping in some 3.31 gears though and see if a speedo recal unit can keep the speedo in check. i dunnpo if there will be other issues but there is only one way to find out. An additional geear in the tranny would be NICER, but dropping the final drive gear shouldn't hurt towing or normal driving by very uch. Biggest unknown is the computer and how it will react with the odd ball gearing, since it is not in the starscan as a optional gear ratio.

as for pricing... I was happy to hear that i bought my truck virtually new and the insurance company would pay out 25 k for a truck i only paid 20k... No gap ins needed and if it got totalled tomorrow i would make money on my truck..... thats doesn't happen often.

#13 ·
I mainly got this truck for a diesel......... end of story.

I wanted a good towing machine for my other toy and now i have it.

I do wish SOMETIMES i had 4wd, but honestly i can live without it. i am thinking of swapping in some 3.31 gears though and see if a speedo recal unit can keep the speedo in check. i dunnpo if there will be other issues but there is only one way to find out. An additional geear in the tranny would be NICER, but dropping the final drive gear shouldn't hurt towing or normal driving by very uch. Biggest unknown is the computer and how it will react with the odd ball gearing, since it is not in the starscan as a optional gear ratio.

as for pricing... I was happy to hear that i bought my truck virtually new and the insurance company would pay out 25 k for a truck i only paid 20k... No gap ins needed and if it got totalled tomorrow i would make money on my truck..... thats doesn't happen often.
You do not count, cos you do crazy things to your Jeep:)

#14 ·
Well hey would we all be happy if my craziness found out that changing gears is a cinch........... or a PITA!!!! lol

Hey i will be looking into the turbo some more when i get around to swapping mine....Maybe a bigger compressor wheel in the same housing....... More efficient Boost.

#15 ·
I'd definitely be interested to see if a taller rear diff would help. I doubt it would affect city driving. 375lb/ft of torque could definitely handle taller gears in the city. Not sure if it would really help on the highway but I'd be interested in the outcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.