CRD Questions: Swirl Motor, PVC Valve, and Glow plugs - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD Questions: Swirl Motor, PVC Valve, and Glow plugs

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
kreso
2010 WK 

Guys, what kind of mechanics you have over there. Here, in Europe, mechanics, if they break something, they pay for it. There is no accident. Just incompetence and negligent.

Unread 01-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #32
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreso View Post
Guys, what kind of mechanics you have over there. Here, in Europe, mechanics, if they break something, they pay for it. There is no accident. Just incompetence and negligent.
I agree...I would shop around until I found a shop that stands behind their work. And if the service writer told me that if they break it I pay for it...I would go straight to the service manager.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #33
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus View Post
Here are my notes from that repair:

- There are valves in the intake manifold - stopped up with greasy substance - actuator moves the valves and they get stuck and causes loss of power - took out engine/transmission and turbo - new manifolds and new actuator and new EGR Valve -
Parts: $2045.29
Labor: $1228.75
Rental: $560.00
21 days of rental car as well.
these issues are diesel specific, your other repairs are not.

these diesel jeep repair bills can quickly go through the roof and the issue that was fixed here is a known one that most of address with preventitive maintenance early on in ownership via the installation of catch cans or other modifications. Its for this reason I'm nervous about buying a used diesel jeep with anything over 50000 miles.

the other issue with these diesel jeeps is finding a good mechanic. I know in Canada because these vehicles are not well known as the hemi, it can be a problem finding a reliable mechanic.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
52233majic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
these issues are diesel specific, your other repairs are not.

these diesel jeep repair bills can quickly go through the roof and the issue that was fixed here is a known one that most of address with preventitive maintenance early on in ownership via the installation of catch cans or other modifications. Its for this reason I'm nervous about buying a used diesel jeep with anything over 50000 miles.

the other issue with these diesel jeeps is finding a good mechanic. I know in Canada because these vehicles are not well known as the hemi, it can be a problem finding a reliable mechanic.
do you live in Ontario, I have had no issues with my jeep but I am looking for a good mechanic ( should that day come !) I have put 45,000 km on the CRD with no issues, upgraded the new turbo hose ( myself) but would like to avoid the dealership. The good news is a buddy ( who is a mechanic) just bought a CRD like mine which is good but he is not trained to work on benz engines so If ya know any in Ontario let me know!
52233majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #35
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52233majic View Post
do you live in Ontario, I have had no issues with my jeep but I am looking for a good mechanic ( should that day come !) I have put 45,000 km on the CRD with no issues, upgraded the new turbo hose ( myself) but would like to avoid the dealership. The good news is a buddy ( who is a mechanic) just bought a CRD like mine which is good but he is not trained to work on benz engines so If ya know any in Ontario let me know!
I'm in BC.

Do a bit of research, try and find a Dodge dealer that also services the Sprinter, they are commonly equipped with the diesel engine. Thats where I would start anyway.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
fitty650sx
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52233majic View Post
The good news is a buddy ( who is a mechanic) just bought a CRD like mine which is good but he is not trained to work on benz engines so If ya know any in Ontario let me know!
I'm that buddy!!!!
fitty650sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
tdoster
2007 WK 

It is usually a good way to find a good mechanic by asking - How many swrill motors have you replaced.

The look he gives you in the first couple seconds will tell all.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #38
52233majic

buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitty650sx View Post
I'm that buddy!!!!
Yes you are, now get some sleep Mr late a.m. poster, What a small world, the issues people are having with their diesels are the vast minority i hope!
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #39
52233majic

buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitty650sx View Post
I'm that buddy!!!!
Yes you are, now get some sleep Mr late a.m. poster, What a small world, the issues people are having with their diesels are the vast minority i hope!
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #40
Tuco
2007 WK 

At first I thought my swirl failure was not due to oil. Later, I took it apart and found it was oil that killed mine too.

They swirl motor failure gets expensive when the dealer decides to put new manifolds on. One shop (a big dealer) said they just replace the intake manifolds every time no matter what, they claimed it was the recommended procedure.

We have been running the EHM for about a year. So far so good. There are occasions when it puffs out smoke, most noticeable in the evening when lights shine on it, say at a stop light.

When a shop does major repair right at the end of warranty or after warranty, I was under the impression that this repair gets a 3 year warranty. At least that is what my dealer told me.
Unread 11-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #41
Tolis

Grand Cherokee 2005 3.0 CRD - swirl flaps problem

Hi everyone.
I have a Grand Cherokee 2005 3.0 CRD which went on safe mode on my way from Switzerland to Italy due to air inflow problems. Taking it to the closest jeep garage, the computer reading diagnosed issues with my swirl flaps. However when the technicians looked closer, they told me that the intake manifold that the swirl flaps are attached to was cracked. Cross checking that input with friends who are jeep technicians in Greece, they confirmed swirl flaps being a relatively common issue, however we're surprised about the problem on the manifold. They basically said they have changed swirl flaps several times over their past 10 years but never an intake manifold.

My knowledge on the matter is very limited. My concerns I need your advice are two fold:
1. I am concerned that the garage in italy is trying to take advantage of me being from Switzerland stuck there needing my car urgently to go home
2. If the manifold problem is real, then it sounds quite serious. Have you seen/experienced such problem closely related with problems at your swirl flaps?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Tolis
Tolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.