CRD oil leak, but dye not showing anywhere - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD oil leak, but dye not showing anywhere

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #31
suzieque
2008 WK 

guys, there is a passageway, on the top of the engine near the turbo mount, that drains out near the starter mount first picture in post #15 above. My dealer told me about it a long time ago but I've not been able to confirm.
I think the passageway is so that if an oil leak occurs on the top of the engine, the oil has a way to escape without causing a fire.

What they told me is that any oil leak starting on the top end, even the leak near the air intake tube that destroys the swirl motor, drains down to a small exit near the starter mount. With a 4x4 its (near) impossible to see the drain hole - I've been trying to get confirmation of the exact location of the drain entrance and exact location of drain exit from anyone that rebuilds these engines. I actually think there is a way for any oil that escapes the crankcase breather valve to also drain out at the bottom, but again, its only my suspicion. Frustrating that its so hard to find someone that answer simple questions on this engine.

When the oil exits near the starter, it continues its journey to the lowest point on the back of the engine, this is the bell housing to the transmission and this why the leak is commonly blamed either on rear main seal or the oil pan gasket.

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #32
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
guys, there is a passageway, on the top of the engine near the turbo mount, that drains out near the starter mount first picture in post #15 above. My dealer told me about it a long time ago but I've not been able to confirm.
I think the passageway is so that if an oil leak occurs on the top of the engine, the oil has a way to escape without causing a fire.

What they told me is that any oil leak starting on the top end, even the leak near the air intake tube that destroys the swirl motor, drains down to a small exit near the starter mount. With a 4x4 its (near) impossible to see the drain hole - I've been trying to get confirmation of the exact location of the drain entrance and exact location of drain exit from anyone that rebuilds these engines. I actually think there is a way for any oil that escapes the crankcase breather valve to also drain out at the bottom, but again, its only my suspicion. Frustrating that its so hard to find someone that answer simple questions on this engine.

When the oil exits near the starter, it continues its journey to the lowest point on the back of the engine, this is the bell housing to the transmission and this why the leak is commonly blamed either on rear main seal or the oil pan gasket.
This is kind of what i was looking for, I have noticed a few drips on my driveway every once and a while but not to often. And I was wondering if it could be from the intake seal or something like that. I havent had time to take a good look underneath but I just dont know where to start ha. Hoping its just a drain line from something that isnt a problem.

Tags
crd , diesel , oil leak , turbo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.