CRD oil leak, but dye not showing anywhere - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD oil leak, but dye not showing anywhere

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
roversar

Any updates on finding the oil leak source? Having the same problems with mine.

roversar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roversar View Post
Any updates on finding the oil leak source? Having the same problems with mine.
me too!

dye was put in the crankcase, haven't seen my jeep in 2 days, good thing I have a warranty!
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Tuco
2007 WK 

Suzieque, is it possible that because of the elephant hose mod + provent filter you have a restricted CCV? This could add some unwanted crankcase pressure.

Im sure you are following my turbo, swirl, intake removal thread. I plan to do something like what you have done. Elephant hose to provent (or raccor), then vent to atmosphere or possibly low side of air box. How is that working for you? How can we be sure we are not restricting air flow out the crank case vent?
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
suzieque
2008 WK 

sigh, my jeep has been back and forth to the dealer for a month now.

- first trip I was told the leak was transmission plug, they supposedly pulled the transmission and transfer case to confirm, looked to me like rear main seal
- second trip I was told the leak was front driveshaft
- third trip I was told the leak was the oil pan verified with dye, they supposedly pulled the transmission,transfer case, engine to get access to the oil pan gasket
- fourth trip I'm being told the leak is on the top of the engine, I suspect now the oil cooler. Presumably the intake has to be removed to gain access to the oil cooler.

Haven't seen my jeep now for 10 days, I have a really crappy loaner vehicle, but at least its not leaking.Each trip, I'm without my vehicle for 3-4 business days.

Very, very disappointed, makes me more sad and frustrated to type this message.

I will post back when it's finally fixed, but just a warning to anyone that discovers a mysterious oil leak that before repairs begin the techs need to be absolutely positive what the source of the leak is, don't let them eyeball it and start tearing stuff apart.

I still love my jeep, just frustrated with the expensive techs that cannot fix it.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
Tuco
2007 WK 

That is a terrible story. It is so absurd its difficult to believe. I hope they are able to find it soon. I will take a look at my engine and see if there is any potential areas for leaks.

The oil cooler sits directly below the EGR cooler which is between the manifolds. Yes, you have to remove the turbo and the intake manifolds to get to it. They are certainly going to want to be sure on this before they spend another 12 - 16 hours getting to the oil cooler. Merlintec says on page 1 that when these usually go, they make quite a mess, so maybe its something else.
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #21
suzieque
2008 WK 

honestly, I looked for an oil cooler leak before dropping it off, but I could see nothing up top, of course I just did a visual with the engine cover removed. I used an inspection camera, but the oil cooler is buried under everything, so I saw nothing.
Hopefully, I will get my jeep back by end of the week, but the service adviser didn't even want to commit a day at this point, not sure what parts are needed for this tear down.
He did suggest that the leak was up top to begin with, thats why I'm suggesting anyone discovering a leak in the CRD should challenge their tech before agreeing to a bottom end seal related replacement as the leak is likely up top.
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
Tuco
2007 WK 

Im sure their parts department will get the correct parts. Mostly you are looking at a bunch of gaskets. I posted most or all of them in my swirl motor thread.

One thing they might not notice is the the small o-ring that goes between the EGR cooler and the driver side manifold toward the front. Its burried down low and would require removing everything in case it leaked. If I did this job I would put a new o-ring in. They should order new swirl motor clips as the design has changed. There is a TSB for the clips. They should use new exhaust bolts and use antiseize so if the turbo has to come off later it will be easier to remove the bolts.

So basically it would be about $100 of gaskets plus the oil cooler parts and about 10-16 hours labor depending on how they bill the labor. Im sure I work slower than a dealer and it would take me a full day to get to the cooler and a full day to put it back together.
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
suzieque
2008 WK 

thanks tuco. had it been diagnosed properly a month ago, I'm guessing it would've been good. hopefully this won't become a common failure point with crd engines.
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
jboling
2007 WK 

Where was it leaking from?

So what was the outcome SuzieQue?... I have a dealership hunting and pecking trying to find an oil leak too?
jboling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboling View Post
So what was the outcome SuzieQue?... I have a dealership hunting and pecking trying to find an oil leak too?
after all the visits and frustrating downtime, the problem was the rear main seal. should've been fixed in 1 service visit in 1 day but read on...

the issue is that the rear main seal differs by model year, so they stuck the 2007 seal on my 2008 and that didn't work. the 2008 seal requires a special tool to install and they tried to install without the special tool and it just leaked again. each time the seal was replaced and it would start leaking again, they would ASSUME the seal was no longer the issue and start tearing down my engine to try and find the leak! eventually they got the right seal and the right tool.

so, get the right seal and get the right tool to install it.

by the way, the rear main seal replacement requires pulling out the transfer case (if you have a 4x4) and transmission, a full day to replace.

what year is your jeep? I have the part # for the 2007 seal, but I have to get he part # for the 2008 seal from the dealer.
Unread 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Wow Suzie. I have noticed I have some dripping here also but it must be rather slow since I don't ever see any under the vehicle. I really think that we don't have adequate pcv with the elephant hose mod or the racor type filters. This could contribute to leaks.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
Wow Suzie. I have noticed I have some dripping here also but it must be rather slow since I don't ever see any under the vehicle. I really think that we don't have adequate pcv with the elephant hose mod or the racor type filters. This could contribute to leaks.
Do you think the longer run of the EHM hose could cause a major increase in back pressure that could cause leaks elsewhere? I used 1" interior diameter hose for my EHM to minimize back pressure. Hope I don't have oil leaks in my future. Been running the EHM for about 20k miles now.
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I don't think the length of the hose is such a factor as the loss of the vacuum. I really wish I could get an engineer to weigh in on it. I would ask my father in law but I will probably get a lecture and a lot of information I didn't want.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #29
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
well in my case the whole problem began as a minor oil drip on my garage floor. i'm fussy about my vehicles and even just a minor drip needs to be looked at in my opinion, but some owners may just ignore especially if you park outside on the street.
could a racor or eho mod contribute to causing a leak at some point? my opinion is it is plausible.
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
tempestv8
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd_yarp View Post
Eureka! Found the dye.

<snip!>

for anyone else try to figure out this drain path from the V. This area is on the battery/oil-filter side where the "upper oil pan" segment meets the engine block, near the starter.
Hi CRD_Yarp,

Thankyou for your persistence in locating this oil leak. My BIL has a 2006 Commander 65th anniversary model (Australian spec) and I've been underneath his engine for the last two days looking at the oily residue everywhere, trying to locate an oil leak. Unfortunately there was oil coating a lot of places and therefore extremely hard to find the source of the leak. The oil was also getting onto the serpentine belt and it was being flung everywhere.

I think that the location of your oil leak may be where the oil is also leaking from his engine. Will have another look at it this coming weekend.

Just a question for you - now that the oil leak has been located, was it an easy fix or does it require major dismantling of the engine to get to that leaky spot? I presume your dealer fixed it under warranty?

Thanks again for your persistence and then sharing the info and pictures on this forum!

Lawrance Lee
tempestv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crd , diesel , oil leak , turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.