CRD MBRP Exhaust Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CRD MBRP Exhaust Install

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

CRD MBRP Exhaust Install

I was just getting ready to install the new exhaust, after cutting the old one, when I noticed that the hanger bar on the main pipe was missing. They're going to send me a new one. I've put everything in place but I won't tighten everything down unless I have to go somewhere before the new pipe comes in.

I would have had it done within an hour otherwise.

Tools needed
Sawsall - to cut the old pipe
Channel Locks - to help remove the rubber hangers
17mm, 9/16" & 5/8" sockets
getting (2) 9/16" bolts that are 1/4" longer than those originally supplied will make attaching the pipe easier.

I'm averaging 22+ mpg. With the mbrp, I'm hoping for a 10% improvement which will give me 24 mpg. So that's about 44 more miles per tank or about 2 gallons per tank more at $3/gallon which is $6/fillup

Total price was $307.72. Divided by $6 will pay for itself at 25,000 miles. Not to mention less back pressure + less wear & tear on the engine.

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |

Last edited by wookiee; 06-10-2009 at 01:50 PM..
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
YellowWrangler

Nice, but is there no muffler?
YellowWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
rhusak
2008 WK 

Wookie..
It would be nice to know what this does to the sound... I know the Cat and turbo absorb most of it but could you let us know what this does..
Ron
Unread 06-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Spider-One
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowWrangler View Post
Nice, but is there no muffler?
The only piece on the stock exhaust past the DPF is a resonator, so even stock there is no muffler.
Unread 06-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Remmy
2005 WK 

Well its not really back pressure you want to deal with... id say more on the lines of increased velocity. Back pressure is commonly miss understood.
Remmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
rhusak
2008 WK 

Guy's..
OK no muffler on standard exhaust.. What does it sound like without the resonator?
Ron
Unread 06-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

It does have a Catalyst (that looks like a muffler) & the DPF that are still there. The book shows a pre-catalyst as well, but I don't see it.

Sounds good. Deep whoosh. Wife says it sounds 'shallow', like coming out of a tunnel. She likes it.

The resonator is straight through, so no back pressure, I guess. But the pipe is bigger than the original.

After I get the replacement pipe and crank down the clamps, I'll put up a recording of the sound.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |

Last edited by wookiee; 06-10-2009 at 02:44 PM..
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
suzieque
2008 WK 

I'm guessing that instead of paying mbrp, you could have gone to a muffler shop and have the muffler shop remove the stock resonator (the thing that looks like a muffler) and install a nice exhaust tip for less money. That's what I'm thinking of doing.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
liggettj

on my 3.7 that is all I did was replace the muffler and add a tip it was much cheaper. Having a CRD I would upgrade to a bigger pipe size. I look the look on the exhaust you got very nice.
liggettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Spider-One
2008 WK 

The benefit of the MBRP kit over just removing the resonator and getting a tip is that the stock exhaust is only 2.75" while the MBRP is mandrel bent 3". You could always have a custom made 3" exhaust made, but the MBRP seems pretty easy to install and I think the price is pretty fair.
Unread 06-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
ctate
2007 WK 

I have the mbrp exhaust install for a while on mine and the sound diffrence is noticable but not much louder. It does sound better of you are standing outside of the Jeepp though.
07 Silver 3.0 CRD, Clifford matrix 50.5x remort start/turbo timer, 265/70R17 Goodyear DURATRACS, XD Series Spy wheels, OME Lift Kit, Kenwood navigation system with reverse camera, Inmotion tuned, Amsoil air filter, Fitch fuel catalyst, Air Lift suspension air bags with air compressor, P3 brake controller, MBRP Exhaust, Accu Pro Calibrator, Addco front/rear anti sway bar, Husky Liner floor mats, upgraded air intake tube, Quick Oil Drain Valve.
ctate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
YellowWrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-One View Post
The only piece on the stock exhaust past the DPF is a resonator, so even stock there is no muffler.
Thank you for that, I'm a little new to jeeps.
YellowWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

What is the real benefit, if any, to a DPF back exhaust when all the the other factory components(i.e.- the intake, restrictive turbo/engine kidney resonator, exhaust manifold, DPF, etc.), are all still in place? Sell me on it and I'll buy the MBRP. By the way, what's the difference between the 3 that they offer other than price and Tip design?
Unread 06-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
Spider-One
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaspencer View Post
What is the real benefit, if any, to a DPF back exhaust when all the the other factory components(i.e.- the intake, restrictive turbo/engine kidney resonator, exhaust manifold, DPF, etc.), are all still in place? Sell me on it and I'll buy the MBRP. By the way, what's the difference between the 3 that they offer other than price and Tip design?
With all the restriction from the two cats and the DPF it's debatable. I'm not sure if it's 3" to the DPF or not but if it is then at least the increase is bringing it to 3" is the whole way through, but I'm not 100% on that on the size of pipe to the cats and DPF.

The difference between the 3 is the material used. I'm not sure about the lowest model but the middle model shouldn't rust out and the top model shouldn't rust out and should keep it's shine.

As for the two cats they are definitely there. You can see the first pre-cat from the engine bay, otherwise you have to get right underneath the down pipe to see the first cat as it's very close to the engine.
Unread 06-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Would you spend the $ on the exhaust or purchase an intake instead once they come out? That's assuming one does eventually hits the market. By your signature, it's looks like you adapted one of your own designed for another engine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.